How does one create a slab with the right type of exterior walls?

DIYJon

I'm so lost on this software.

I'm simply trying to learn how to make a simple 4-wall structure, a rectangle, on a 4" slab with 8" thick foundation walls, 12" of which is exposed above the terrain, then create a patio slab that's 4" below the house slab.

The west and east walls are 8" block and they sit direction on top of the foundation wall which is flush with the top of the slab.  I've been working on this for about 3 hours and I'm totally dumbfounded that it's been this difficult for me to grasp.  Every setting I try yields an undesired result and I know this should be a simple exercise.

Here's a video I posted on my YouTube channel to illustrate what I'm doing.  Maybe someone can slap me in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, solver said:

Please check your messages -- envelope icon top of page.

Posting a section or two will help others understand the structure -- much easier than trying to follow a written description.

Hmm...I posted a video screen-capture of what I'm doing.  I don't think I can get any more detailed than that.

On 9/6/2021 at 1:19 PM, DIYJon said:

Here's a video I posted on my YouTube channel to illustrate what I'm doing

Have you worked through the Tutorial Guide by Chance?  it's all about Defaults at the beginning.... ie the Walls , Roof, Foundation etc etc and only then Drawing....

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/documentation/chief-architect-x13-tutorial-guide.pdf

1. Yes every new plan uses the same Plan as a Template and apparently Auto Roof is On in your Template.

2. The Template also controls the Wall Type, default is Siding, so no it won't look like your House ...how would Chief know what your house looks like?

3. Place a Full camera inside the house instead of using the full overview and turning off Layers> Ceilings or use Floor Overview instead 

4. No...don't use a Slab.... build a New Floor Foundation > Mono Slab.

5. at minute 4 approx, you are on level 0 , you are taken there on making a Foundation, so all you see is the Monoslab,

then you delete it, which immediately takes you back to level 1, when all you needed to do was go up one level to level 1.

Mick

You might want to attend this on Friday too ?

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/3788144529700321551

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, solver said:

I'm guessing the video shows what's going wrong, and does not clearly show what is correct.

ct1.thumb.png.ecedf8d1822a9810bff0545d27c6df66.png

You guessed wrong.  I made the video.  It is a video of me trying to figure it out, not a video I found that I used as an example.  So yes, the video shows what is going wrong and does not show what is correct.

48 minutes ago, DIYJon said:

So yes, the video shows what is going wrong and does not show what is correct.

I think what Erick is saying is your description for some of us is a little hard to follow what you WANT or what it is supposed to look like.  Maybe you can expound a little more or share pictures.

2 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

OMG Jon, How did you channel 'me' from 20 years ago? :lol: Stick with it and with all the help here you'll be fine. Good luck.

Not sure.  Apparently I have some sort of gift for that?  I'm slowly figuring this out.  The disconnect for me right now is terminology coupled with the fact that CA works best if you dial in settings manually in the dialogs...so not knowing exactly what each setting does and how it affects other settings is challenging.  It's like when you almost get all sides of a rubiks cube, then you change one setting and it gets all screwed up.  Slowly but surely.