Pony wall unable to follow terrain

HarryOrd

I have a sloping terrain and I want to model a fence that has trellis on the top half of it. I tried a pony wall but the "Follow Terrain" option is not available for pony walls it seems. So my fence comes out level (see pictures) which isn't the result I need. Any ideas? 

I looked for other forum entries about this but could only find one reference to it here:

1458925892_Fencewithterrainslope.thumb.PNG.b3cffbcd99d81e5dacb39a2eb5cc00d9.PNG    450184591_Ponywallwithterrainslope.thumb.PNG.917994d4d083c7f4efb919bf6acd3d6f.PNG 

Thanks Michael for your quick reply. I hadn't actually looked at the help file so thanks for pointing that out. It confirms what I observed with the option not being selectable for pony walls. So, would you have any tips for how I might achieve the result I need?

Thanks Mick. That's pretty much resolved the issue for me. Appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I wonder what the logic is for not allowing pony walls to follow terrain? Probably not a one line explanation I'm guessing.

Cheers.

52 minutes ago, HarryOrd said:

Thanks Mick. That's pretty much resolved the issue for me. Appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I wonder what the logic is for not allowing pony walls to follow terrain? Probably not a one line explanation I'm guessing.

Cheers.

Hello…hello….  This has bugged me too,  we have done workshops on this and we couldn’t come up with a solution.  I had a need for a pony wall following the terrain just today and it was a no go,   Why can’t this be fixed.  I know,  I should make a request in the suggestions forum….  I have done that….  I hear you Harry,  such a sim0le request…..  back to Judge Judy.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I did try using the lattice option from the catalog and it's close to what I'm after except the lattice is vertical and horizontal squares and is higher in proportion to the overall fence height. See the picture of what I've come up with. I changed the terrain "fence" (lower wall) material to use a vertical wood panel to simulate a picket style fence. The "real" fence has gaps in the wood planks so it's not exactly what I was trying for. But at least if follows the terrain which steps down as hopefully shown in the picture. Would be nice to have all the railing options to use for the lower portion. Even using the pony wall I haven't discovered how to control the bottom portion as a railing wall. You can change the wall types for the pony wall but you don't have access to railing parameters. i.e. These change the upper wall, not the lower wall. I realise you guys already know this, I was just "venting". Don't you just love work-arounds :-)

84925878_Backcourtyardgardenbed.thumb.PNG.08679f0c6dee7d304625b6fa1ff9e44e.PNG

15 hours ago, HarryOrd said:

I wonder what the logic is for not allowing pony walls to follow terrain?

I don't think I have any "inside" info in that regard , but can imagine it may have something to do with certain Wall types, having (auto) framing

which wouldn't be possible. ( programming nightmare ) 

If you can't get the look you want ie the Lattice, then the Option, like I did above, is to make one Panel ( polyline solids multicopied )

and save it as a Millwork Symbol (Railing  Panel  Option) and apply it to the Fence.

Mick. 

8 hours ago, dshall said:

since we are on the subject.,  I though we could put a 6' hi railing on a 3' hi railing (if they are both defined as no room def.).  and it would look like a pony wall...  but we can't.1939154485_ScreenShot2021-09-06at6_22_45AM.thumb.png.6d95e99b5a2a83c6abd66798b7180211.png

I had thought that too ( getting old?) and tried that 1st, (*) but ended up having to use the method above with the Terrain Wall.

(On a slope the no room def. setting seems to be ignored and 1 wall replaces the other )

I can't remember if this was an official method and we lost some functionality somewhere along the line or if it was always a "workaround" in earlier versions.

M.

Edit: *I missed you said both walls were No Room Def.   you need 1 of each as mentioned below....

4 hours ago, dshall said:

since we are on the subject.,  I though we could put a 6' hi railing on a 3' hi railing (if they are both defined as no room def.).  and it would look like a pony wall...  but we can't.1939154485_ScreenShot2021-09-06at6_22_45AM.thumb.png.6d95e99b5a2a83c6abd66798b7180211.png

2 wall types of the same type (room definition and no room definition) cannot occupy the same plan view space.  Try one set to room definition and another set to no room definition.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

2 wall types of the same type (room definition and no room definition) cannot occupy the same plan view space.  Try one set to room definition and another set to no room definition.

thanks Michael

1306242878_ScreenShot2021-09-06at11_13_44AM.thumb.png.7caa582b8661e2fd713429d633cc8388.png

18 hours ago, HarryOrd said:

I wonder what the logic is for not allowing pony walls to follow terrain?

I don't think the pony wall is the problem.  Its the solid wall that's the problem.  Normal railing walls with a defined height and with their newels and balusters (or panels) allow for easily following a terrain contour due to the very obvious and straightforward way these components can be logically be broken up and separated into individually undulating sections.  A solid wall on the other hand has no such logical breaks.  Its kinda like building a fence in real life. 

With regard to your specific application, it doesn't really sound like you actually need to use a workaround so much as it sounds like you just need to find (or make) yourself a suitable railing panel symbol.  Note that you can also reshape solid walls in 3D and that you can overlap a room definition wall and a no room definition wall to get a few more options.

Thanks again everyone.

On 9/7/2021 at 4:14 AM, dshall said:

thanks Michael

1306242878_ScreenShot2021-09-06at11_13_44AM.thumb.png.7caa582b8661e2fd713429d633cc8388.png

dshall, what were the steps took to achieve this? I tried a few different things with walls and room definition and no room definition but couldn't get one to sit on top of the other. Must be missing something.

Thanks.