Uncontrolled roof

Ranger900

Hi, I'm Dani and am new to the group. My wife and I borrowed a computer which contained CA x 10 with the intensions of to making prints for a new home. After a few weeks of study, the base plans are coming together but the roof structure is not. I cannot configure a doable roof structure. I have tried to attach a copy of the plan file but it states it is larger than 14 MB. Any and all help will be appreciated.

16 minutes ago, Ranger900 said:

Hi, I'm Dani and am new to the group. My wife and I borrowed a computer which contained CA x 10 with the intensions of to making prints for a new home. After a few weeks of study, the base plans are coming together but the roof structure is not. I cannot configure a doable roof structure. I have tried to attach a copy of the plan file but it states it is larger than 14 MB. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Zip the plan File or if needed a Link to the file on a  Cloud account

You can use the Windows Snipping Tool ( or mac equivalent ) to screen grab pics and post Images as well.

You might want to do your Forum Signature too ( see mine below) making sure you mention X10 as the answers maybe different for X10 vs X13.

Mick

1 minute ago, John_Charles said:

You're answering a question nobody asked.....

That's true.  This issue actually affects me as a paying customer though.  Furthermore, piracy is a serious issue, not a subjective choice like I don't know.... say something like typing values in cm instead of mm. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, John_Charles said:

Aaaah... a down vote instead of an answer...? Figures.....

I was actually typing up a response when you posted that but decided to hold off. 

56 minutes ago, John_Charles said:

Good... you get it.....

But... I'll play your (straw man) game.... exactly HOW has it affected you?

and while you're at it.... love to hear on what basis you think the standard of using mm is 'subjective' .... ?????

For the first question, I really shouldn't even dignify that with a response.  If you don't already understand then what I say will be of no value to you.

For the second part, I never actually said the standard of using mm was subjective (even though that could actually be argued in certain circles as well).  What I said was that the choice was subjective. 

And just FYI, I carefully consider how and when I use downvotes, and I try to only use them when I legitimately feel a post is unhelpful or misleading.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Golly Gee fellows. Did no mean to cause an uproar in the post. I just borrowed the laptop from a friend to use in designing a set of plans. Now I am being accused of stealing software. Thanks a lot. If this the usual manner of posts replying to questions, I think I will pass.

Gene Davis, I appreciate your thoughts and is a truly good idea, if he wasn't 3.5 hours away it would make it easier. When I borrowed his computer, he said the forum has knowledgeable people that would be of great help if I ran into problems. Look like he was wrong when making that statement. Do not worry, I will not repost again on this forum. May God Bless you in your future when corresponding with new people asking for help.

It does appear that the EULA indicates the program is licensed to a single person. I wonder if that means that when I had an assistants and got a secondary license I should have gotten a second full license for them to use ? even though I only ever had one assistant at a time.

From the EULA:

(a)Software: Unless otherwise agreed to in writing, Chief Architect, Inc. grants you the right to use one copy of the
Software on only one computer at one location at any one time. This software is licensed for use by you and only
you. You may not share your license of this software with any other person, and you agree not to allow any other
person to use your license of this software. In order to use this software, each person must purchase their own valid
license;

Then there is this other bit.

(d)Upgrades: If the Software is being licensed to you as an upgrade, renewal, or update to software previously
licensed to you, you must cease using the software previously licensed to you, including any and all copies installed
on your computers, once you have successfully installed and commenced use of the upgrade, renewal, or update
software. 
You may not transfer, give away, sell, or loan the software version previously licensed to you to any other
person or entity. Any unauthorized attempt to transfer or sell the software previously licensed to you will result in
automatic termination of your current software license. You may, however, maintain a copy of the software
previously licensed to you for your own archival purposes only;

How many of us only keep the current version active? never use an older version to assist a client? keep an old version on a secondary machine like a laptop or home computer? wonder why the answer to folks asking if it's okay to uninstall older versions never mentions this?

"What's so funny about peace,....."? Elvis C

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Then there is this other bit.

(d)Upgrades: If the Software is being licensed to you as an upgrade, renewal, or update to software previously
licensed to you, you must cease using the software previously licensed to you, including any and all copies installed
on your computers, once you have successfully installed and commenced use of the upgrade, renewal, or update
software. 
You may not transfer, give away, sell, or loan the software version previously licensed to you to any other
person or entity. Any unauthorized attempt to transfer or sell the software previously licensed to you will result in
automatic termination of your current software license. You may, however, maintain a copy of the software
previously licensed to you for your own archival purposes only;

Chief has made it pretty clear over the years that they don't mind people keeping copies of previous version installed and even using them as necessary.  I think the intent of that section is to keep people from using multiple version simultaneously. 

On 9/5/2021 at 1:14 PM, Ranger900 said:

I just borrowed the laptop from a friend to use in designing a set of plans. Now I am being accused of stealing software.

To be fair, I didn't actually accuse you of anything.  I suggested that you make sure "you're not unintentionally pirating software" and that "the original purchaser isn't violating their license agreement."  You could cost that person their license.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am on board with those who posted objections to someone using a "borrowed" copy of the software.  The reason that this software is as good as it is is a result of us all paying our fair share.  The company has a low cost alternative for DIY users like the original poster.

I suggest that he buy a copy of Home Designer and join that forum where I am sure he will get a warm and helpful reception.

As for the poster's hurt feelings, I have some sympathy but not much.  CA is an investment that I treasure and I have suggested to CA that users should use a code when registering for this forum that certified who has a valid licence and who doesn't.  I would not ban none licenced users who are seeking information about the usefulness of CA or are doing a comparison.  But if you and not certified maybe a time limit.  Say 90 days to post.  Anyone could still view but not post after 90 days. 

• Upvote 1