Some questions about Chief

TriDiWorx

Hi!

Still a newbie to Chief and have a couple of things that I have not been able to figure out or find from resources. Maybe someone can help a bit.

1. Can I have different page sizes and different page orientation in one layout file? For example I mostly use A3, but sometimes have a singe drawing that would be a better fit to A4 or in different orientation. Do I need to use a new layout file for this or can it be done in one?

2. How can I show terrain thickness and texture on sections? I cannot figure it out. I only get terrain perimeter line showed on all sections and elevations.

3. Why do I get 3D views on layout very small? It seems that I am sending 3D views exactly the same as those teaching videos do it, but mine is a small box and in videos they get a big picture. And I mean live view. Sending as an image works well, but I would like to send live views in bigger size.

7 hours ago, TriDiWorx said:

1. Can I have different page sizes and different page orientation in one layout file? For example I mostly use A3, but sometimes have a singe drawing that would be a better fit to A4 or in different orientation. Do I need to use a new layout file for this or can it be done in one?

A new layout page for each different size required.

2. How can I show terrain thickness and texture on sections? I cannot figure it out. I only get terrain perimeter line showed on all sections and elevations.

Similar to AutoCAD you create a "white out box" to fill in the missing mass of the terrain  plane in Cross Sections

Why do I get 3D views on layout very small? It seems that I am sending 3D views exactly the same as those teaching videos do it, but mine is a small box and in videos they get a big picture. And I mean live view. Sending as an image works well, but I would like to send live views in bigger size.

Pay attention of the  settings when under File -Print - Drawing Sheet Set up, those settings tend to control the size of views sent to layout. You also have secondary control in the "Send to Layout" dialog as to scaling and other settings, take a look please.

DJP

Hi!

Thank you for answers. Sorry was too busy to answer. I still cannot figure some of these things out. Maybe you can elaborate a bit on two of them. Thanks!

On 9/5/2021 at 3:09 AM, DavidJPotter said:

Do you mean a new Layout FILE or a page? Because if I change page size or orientation in one Layout FILE, all the pages change not just one. And every FILE has its own page layout on page 0.

On 9/5/2021 at 3:09 AM, DavidJPotter said:

Pay attention of the  settings when under File -Print - Drawing Sheet Set up, those settings tend to control the size of views sent to layout. You also have secondary control in the "Send to Layout" dialog as to scaling and other settings, take a look please.

For 3D camera I have drawing sheet setup greyed out. And in secondary control when sending to layout scaling is also greyed out. I do not get what I am missing, but my live view comes as a very tiny image :).

For question #2. 

You’ll only get terrain thickness when the camera is outside the terrain boundary in plan view. 

Q3.  You often have to reload 3D views on the layout. Otherwise the printout is minuscule for some reason. Just update the view before printing when this happens.

I use different layers (in layout) for different title block sizes , I have one for 30 x 42, one for 24 x 36 (my default) and one for 8x11. You will have to change the paper size and scale etc. but I think this accomplished what you want.

On 9/4/2021 at 8:09 PM, DavidJPotter said:

Do you mean a new Layout FILE or a page? Because if I change page size or orientation in one Layout FILE, all the pages change not just one. And every FILE has its own page layout on page 0.

You can actually have multiple Template pages but it is difficult to keep them organized if you create too many.  So you can use layers and annotations or now referred to as default sets to set up multiple page 0's.  It wont work exactly the way I think you are hoping but it can be done from one file and later collated with a 3rd party PDF editor.  Just some paper size gymnastics as Robert has pointed out and only being able to print one set of paper sizes at a time for the applicable pages.