Flush Eave Conundrums

JamesKCI

Hey all,

I just have a general question about eaves, specifically flush eaves. Do any of you have weird glitches with them? I have 2 that happen quite often in my plans.

1. The first glitch(?) with my eaves is that they randomly unfinish themselves. This goes away when I toggle the "Boxed eave" tickbox off and on again but has some tendency to return at random.
  2. The second anomaly is far peskier. Sometimes a random corner of a roof plane will just box. I am hesitant to think this is a bug because it usually happens when I'm trying to fine-tune a part of a roof. I can usually resolve it but sometimes it feels like I do something different every time to correct it.

I am struggling to find another thought on this in the forums and I'm not looking for help per se, just curious if I am doing something wrong or if it's something that's fairly common? As I've been learning the program "on-the-job" so-to-speak, I've become accustomed to manually drawing roof planes as auto roofs are very clunky to me.

Ex. A.jpg

Ex. B.jpg

39 minutes ago, JamesKCI said:

I've become accustomed to manually drawing roof planes as auto roofs are very clunky to me.

Try to learn Auto-roofs a little better and it will lessen your stress.  They are actually extremely powerful once you understand them.  In Fact Eric (@solver) is one of the best with the auto roof tools.  Some projects I don't need to do anything to the auto roofs, sometimes it gets me 90% of the way and I adjust at the end.   

In any case What Eric says:

30 minutes ago, solver said:

I see #2 all the time and have since the Flush Eave option was introduced. I've called it a bug.

Is kind of true,  They are ultra finicky.  However I would venture to say that 80-90% of the time it is because a roof plane is out of place in one of the X,Y,Z axis planes and it is causing the issue.  The most frustrating is when one of the gable sides works and the other doesn't!  haha.  It is definitely something that could be improved a bit and has been suggested many times.  

58 minutes ago, solver said:

Looks like your soffits are below the fascia. Probably not a cause of the problems, but might want to correct anyway.

Is there a good rule of thumb for making sure soffits plane out just above fascia? the roof defaults fail to accomplish this and the best I know to do is guess and check until they are close enough to not cause problems

27 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Try to learn Auto-roofs a little better and it will lessen your stress.  They are actually extremely powerful once you understand them.  In Fact Eric (@solver) is one of the best with the auto roof tools.  Some projects I don't need to do anything to the auto roofs, sometimes it gets me 90% of the way and I adjust at the end.   

Learning them in detail is definitely a short-term goal. I just find that with clients that make so many footprint changes during a projects life-cycle, drawing manually on the fly has saved me a lot of time in the short-term.

30 minutes ago, rgardner said:

In any case What Eric says:

Is kind of true,  They are ultra finicky.  However I would venture to say that 80-90% of the time it is because a roof plane is out of place in one of the X,Y,Z axis planes and it is causing the issue.  The most frustrating is when one of the gable sides works and the other doesn't!  haha.  It is definitely something that could be improved a bit and has been suggested many times.  

This issue has a tendency to appear when I adjust heels after get the drawings from the truss manufacturer so to me it feels like a bug due to the program not liking a lot of custom heels. I'll do my part to point out the issue to the devs but it's vindicating to know this isn't necessarily due to my own incompetence.

Imagine, if you will that you are a software Architect and you are tasked with creating the "perfect software" app for building professionals. The app must fit all possible geometric problems, no matter the skill of the end user and it must NEVER be wrong or incorrect, ever-never. I mean really confront doing such a thing and ask yourself, can I do any part of that particular job? I think the guys at Chief Architect Software have done very well to date, not perfect, yes but very applicable. In twenty years of constant use, I have been able to solve all problems I have been handed by clients, so I am "OK" with having to manually step in at do what must be done and I am thankful for all the stuff I do NOT have to do that the software's programming took care of. I think a person needs to decide who is responsible for one's produce, the tool or the artisan, confront that and accept the results and I think  one who has will then live a happier life.

DJP

• Like 1