Automatic Balloon Framing - not working for me

SNestor

Using X13. Have "framing default" checked for "Allow Automatic Balloon Framing"...but, as you can see in the picture below it's not working. I have auto framing walls turned on...experimented with the joist direction...didn't seem to have an effect. 

I'm on a MAC...maybe this is a reason? Does anybody know if this new feature in X13 actually works? 

Thanks!

2021-09-02_21-57-06.thumb.png.018275a5188aca3e3599f8d414414aab.png

17 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Not 100% sure of this, but I think there has to be stairs in the open below room to trigger it…

I this place stairs because I thought it might be required…but it didn’t make a difference. 

Does this feature only work on exterior walls? 

Steve,

From the context help file on wall framing.

Wall
Specify how wall studs are created.
Check Build Wall Framing to build wall framing for the entire model. Framing is built in walls with one or more layers specified as Framing. Not available in the Framing Defaults dialog. See Wall Type Definitions.
Specify the Default Stud Thickness for all wall Framing layers in the plan. Stud depth is equal to the thickness of each wall layer that has a Framing material.
Note: If the Stud Thickness is equal to the stud depth, only one stud will be created at wall corners.

Specify the Default Stud Spacing for all wall Framing layers in the plan, starting from the Framing Reference Marker, if one is present. See Framing Reference Markers.
Stud Depth - The depth of each wall stud is determined by the thickness of its wall layer, which is set in the Wall Type Definitions dialog. See Wall Type Definitions Dialog.
When Allow Automatic Balloon Framing is checked, walls adjacent to Open Below rooms are balloon-framed. Uncheck this box to instead produce wall plates separated by rim joists instead. See Effects of Room Functions.

When I tried this, whether or not the Allow Balloon Framing was checked or not, it did not generate balloon framing.  This is true for exterior walls and interior walls it seem.   I think you should submit a trouble ticket.

10 hours ago, SNestor said:

Using X13. Have "framing default" checked for "Allow Automatic Balloon Framing"...but, as you can see in the picture below it's not working. I have auto framing walls turned on...experimented with the joist direction...didn't seem to have an effect. 

I'm on a MAC...maybe this is a reason? Does anybody know if this new feature in X13 actually works? 

Thanks!

2021-09-02_21-57-06.thumb.png.018275a5188aca3e3599f8d414414aab.png

It has NOT been working for me.

Automatic Platform Framing has been changed in X13 to follow the Platform Framing style of building more closely than mixing together both platform and balloon framing styles. If an open below section is partially along an edge of the platform, then we'll have the rim joist extend the entire length of this edge. This is where the behavior has changed from prior versions, where we used to always balloon frame along any open below sections that were inline with a platform edge.

If the open below section spans the entire length of the platform edge, then we still do balloon framing, if the "Allow Automatic Balloon Framing" checkbox is enabled in the Build Framing Dialog. If the checkbox is disabled, then we'll insert rim joists in this section to match with the rest of the platform framing style.

With "Allow Automatic Balloon Framing" On:

AutoBalloonFraming.thumb.png.510e5c0561036b130f1007f2e0540eef.png

With "Allow Automatic Balloon Framing" Off:

NoAutoBalloonFraming.thumb.png.bee167e45b63d9d53446688c3c62f974.png

If you wish to do balloon framing for only a section of the wall, this can still be achieved with the Platform Intersections controls within the Wall Specification, where you can set specific walls to balloon framing through the ceiling or floor. On one of the walls going alongside the open below, you can break the wall so a section of it is only going across the open below, set this section to "Balloon Through Floor Below", and you'll get the balloon framing along that section of the platform.

BalloonedSection.thumb.png.a4bc0fc7ccc0b2fdd9367cd5f6e2def6.pngChangedWall.thumb.png.8b6adb131d8b634979701b3ad625dd8e.png

If you would like the program to work differently to this new behavior, then please submit a feature request. Hope that helps!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@mLongChief That makes sense. We were expecting "Automatic' base on the room definition. From Help:

When Allow Automatic Balloon Framing is checked, walls adjacent to Open Below rooms are balloon-framed. Uncheck this box to instead produce wall plates separated by rim joists instead. See Effects of Room Functions.

This isn't a huge deal, but I don't think "Help" is explaining this the same as what you explained in your more detailed post above. Thanks for the clarification though...just gotta lock this one in the old memory bank for future use!

This is a bit easier to remember for me because in my region we'd typically upsize to a 2x8 wall for 2-story conditions so a wall break and wall type change are normal to the process.

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

@mLongChief That makes sense. We were expecting "Automatic' base on the room definition. From Help:

This isn't a huge deal, but I don't think "Help" is explaining this the same as what you explained in your more detailed post above. Thanks for the clarification though...just gotta lock this one in the old memory bank for future use!

This is a bit easier to remember for me because in my region we'd typically upsize to a 2x8 wall for 2-story conditions so a wall break and wall type change are normal to the process.

To Chief Architect empolyee mLongChief, thank you for the detailed post.  That was really instructive.

I agree with Robert that the contextual help file makes no mention of any of this. The file should be edited to include the information in the post.   

• 5 months later...

Does anyone else find that:

1. Automatic Balloon Framing doesn't seem to work correctly (messes up the cladding)
  2. Hang Floor Platform Above on Wall doesn't seem to work correctly (messes up the cladding)
  3. Horizontal Frame Through doesn't seem to work correctly (or at all)

It would be great if we then didn't need to go outside and start filling in pieces of exterior cladding. #1 & #2 create cladding issues on the exterior, when one would assume they are supposed to affect the Structure"!

It seems that we get to pick between manually editing framing, or patching exterior materials.

So, for framed walls, we can use Chief's tools, then check "Retain Wall Framing" and then undo the use of Chief's tools. Handy.

• 2 years later...