Weird Roof Anomaly...or am I missing something

SNestor

I have not noticed that exact situation before but chief does struggle with a roof over another roof in many other ways.  You may have found the magic number that needs to be brought to chiefs attention but would be really interested in what others have to say.  Roof groups will fix it but I really don't think that should be necessary.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I have not noticed that exact situation before but chief does struggle with a roof over another roof in many other ways.  You may have found the magic number that needs to be brought to chiefs attention but would be really interested in what others have to say.  Roof groups will fix it but I really don't think that should be necessary.

Thanks @Chopsaw...it's certainly odd behavior for sure. Using "roof groups" however does fix the problem. Just wondering if this is a "work around" or the way Chief was designed to work. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction...I had completely forgotten about "roof groups"...not something you use everyday. :) 

I first noticed this anomaly very early in  my journey with Home Designer Pro…i was modeling a Cape Cod with a breezeway between the house and garage…the design was for me…it drove my inexperienced mind crazy… I eventually stumbled on a solution similar to your demonstration with the roof plane…it still does it in X13 but I am so used to it I just fix it and move on…it would be nice to know why and even nicer for Chief to fix it…

5 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Just wondering if this is a "work around" or the way Chief was designed to work.

I would say according to the Manual it would be a workaround but being from Canada I have been accuses of not understanding English before.

"Specify the Roof Group of the selected room. Change this value to control how the program combines the selected room’s roof system with that of the rest of the building when automatic roofs are built."

• Upvote 2

Reading the manual...I'd say Chief put in "roof groups" for just such situations. Seems like a "in house" work around to me...but, at least Chief gave us a way to remedy the issue and for that I'm appreciative. Now...if they would just "improve" the stair tool I'd be a happy guy.

Here's a screen clip from the manual pertaining to roof groups for anyone interested;

2021-09-02_21-38-16.thumb.png.847a0d564804781fd259ea14180ba950.png

I suppose you could argue that tearing a hole in the gable end wall is the program's attempt to "join together to form a single integrated system"

However I think the intent of the tool is to provide two completely viable options to the situation, not to fix a glitch.

13 hours ago, SNestor said:

Thanks @Chopsaw...it's certainly odd behavior for sure.

Huh... that IS interesting. Also if you raise the roof on the one side that works properly, then you can raise the roof on the other side as well, but not more than the original difference between the two.