Black Background when printing

BillChesshire

Printing PDF's , elevations,  cross sections have a solid black background.  Perspective camera views also have a solid black back ground and a black grid over the picture.  I am using Apple  , X 13 and a new HP 7740 printer ( my faithful 12 year old Brother MFC6490CW is not the culprit as I thought ) 

Reading articles on this subject in the Forum - the cause is linked to transparent backgrounds?  using Apples' preview app? 

The print shops I have sent PDF's to - not a problem -

As suggested I upload Adobe app and printed though it. -- same issues .   Any suggestions how to use a white background instead of transparent ?? 

I have started a a case with Chief Tech support - will share their response 

So the issue is when you are printing directly to your HP 7740 ?   What did you print through the Adobe app and which app was it ?

I don't think anyone has experienced issues using the "Chief Architect Save As PDF" and then printing with Adobe Reader or Acrobat, so if that is happening it would be a new issue.

Good question, I don't think I am printing directly   my SOP so far has been

I built a Layout  then  File/ then scrolled down to "Print"  / scroll down to "Print" again 

A PDF file is generated which  I Save ( rename with the page size in title)  

My Apple generates a "preview" of the PDF  hit file / print / OK 

So opened that same file using Adobe - problem persisted 

Going to try some different steps - save to  PDF   try to avoid the Apple interface.......

Attempt to fix 

Exported Layout as PDF - placed on desk top

Opened as an Adobe PDF  sent to HP 7740 to print

Problem Persists 

To print directly to Printer  - Layout formatted to size of paper used 

Create Layout  - in Export Menu ???  will try picture options 

33 minutes ago, BillChesshire said:

Exported Layout as PDF - placed on desk top

You are still not making it clear what you are using to create the PDF.

The key is to use a  PDF creator that is compatible with the PDF printer you are using.

Some are reporting that  using Apples' preview app for both PDF creation and printing has worked.

Otherwise the Chief Architect version of "Chief Architect Save As PDF" is compatible with Adobe products for viewing and printing.

image.thumb.png.a16b4ff8459c6041887d41e24192e25c.png

We have 3 Macs in our office and 2 of them struggle with this same issue.  Printing from the file and the elevations are black.   Printing from a pdf generated in Chief - same issue (but does not happen with every plan).   

If the file is printed out from a pdf generated on my Mac, which is newer, no problems.  Leads me to believe the problem is with the graphics cards in the other 2 Macs.  Is your Mac newer or older? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SusanC said:

If the file is printed out from a pdf generated on my Mac, which is newer, no problems.  Leads me to believe the problem is with the graphics cards in the other 2 Macs.

This is great information which in the long run may help Chief solve and fix this problem for everyone.

However there are many PDF generators that can be run from within the Chief "Export PDF" or "Print View" DBX's.

If you can clarify this then maybe we will all be able to print consistently from the generated PDF's.

Once that issue has been resolved then Chief can maybe focus on being able to print from the plan file to a specified printer.

Thank you for your input 

1. My Mac is over 5 years old - and. the same files sent to 3rd party printers - no recent problems - but I am reaching out this week to further check.  

2.   Chopsaw's comment from Sunday - I have been using the "Chief Architect Save as PDF"   then when it is saved - it is to Apple Preview - this is the current default from Chief 

I am attempting different paths - including sending direct to printer   and choosing the transparent Background option  

18 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Can you tell me where I would be able to find that info within Chief?  

In the Print DBX , just Choose the Printer to use  , which can be a PDF Printer like Chief's or any Real Printer that is installed on your system.

2 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Thanks Kbird.  I thought ChopSaw was saying I could select a different pdf generator other than the default.  

You can if you have installed one , for example I use the (free) BullZip PDF Printer and also TurboPDF too....

image.thumb.png.1aef51b9f673561e758656815406e2fd.png

I'm one of the other two Mac's in Susan's office as I am having similar issues with black boxes showing up on my PDF elevations.  Currently, it has resolved itself, yet it's very unstable and continues to crash during other instances, i.e. creating camera views.  

8 hours ago, BillChesshire said:

I have been using the "Chief Architect Save as PDF"   then when it is saved - it is to Apple Preview

That is an issue....   You currently can not do it that way and cross platforms.

If you save with "Chief Architect Save as PDF" or Adobe you will need to view and print with Adobe.

Otherwise use Apple Preview for both and it may work that way.  Not sure if Apple Preview is vector like "Chief Architect Save as PDF" is, so there is that to consider as well.

K Bird 1 in his post above  has various PDF formats to choose from.  When I select the default Chief Arch PDF it sends it to my operating system   (the path of least resistance- how it has always worked  .  My options currently consist of Chief and my 2 currently installed printers 2015487492_ScreenShot2021-08-31at6_30_28PM.thumb.png.2d2468475f6e6cacf851febf4d5e171e.png 

See attached screen shot    I uploaded a free Adobe , How to install that as an optional PDF  ???  Looked around but can find a method. 

BTW I believe the blue button in the lower right hand corner sends it to whatever is selected in the upper panel - no customization available there.  

Thanks to you all for helping

32 minutes ago, BillChesshire said:

I uploaded a free Adobe , How to install that as an optional PDF  ???

The current free version of Adobe is Adobe Reader DC which I don't believe has an included PDF generator.

So try using the "Chief Architect Save As PDF" then open and view with Adobe Reader DC and print from there.

Adobe Acrobat does have a PDF generator included with it but it is not free.

If that does not work try the purely Apple route.

1 hour ago, BillChesshire said:

K Bird 1 in his post above  has various PDF formats to choose from.  When I select the default Chief Arch PDF it sends it to my operating system   (the path of least resistance- how it has always worked  .  My options currently consist of Chief and my 2 currently installed printers 2015487492_ScreenShot2021-08-31at6_30_28PM.thumb.png.2d2468475f6e6cacf851febf4d5e171e.png 

See attached screen shot    I uploaded a free Adobe , How to install that as an optional PDF  ???  Looked around but can find a method. 

BTW I believe the blue button in the lower right hand corner sends it to whatever is selected in the upper panel - no customization available there.  

Thanks to you all for helping

Both Bullzip and TurboPDF  are windows Only ( TurboCAD's version of Foxit PDF ) , but there is a mac Version of Foxit, it is not free, but you can download a Trial Version.

https://www.foxit.com/pdf-editor/comparison.html

https://www.foxit.com/downloads/#Foxit-PhantomPDF-Standard/

M.

• 2 months later...