X13 crashing on MacBook Pro 16 inch

SusanC

LIS_Problem_210829_SMC.zipJust wondering if any other Chief users who are on a Mac are having issues with X13?  We recently upgraded to X13 and now all 3 of the Macs in the office are unable to open camera views in any plan file without receiving a never ending loop of error messages regarding rendering of a metal handle and then crashing.  Zip file and screen shots attached.  Software is all up to date on all computers.  Interestingly, the error messages always reference a mystery user named "Ryan". 

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 11.42.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 11.41.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 12.19.37 AM.png

There was a post a while ago from a CA Employee about how AMD (Radeon Cards) had to release a new Driver for the Cards to work with X13

they also mentioned that it was the Desktop Drivers AMD updated and Laptop Driver hadn't been released yet , but I am not sure if

that also meant Mac Computers.

I'd make sure you have the latest Drivers though as the new Astral Lighting Engine is way more demanding.

I do not have those issues and you can see my system specs below.  Both my older desktop which I use primarily and my laptop seem to do find.  A little slower with my desktop but no real issues with the laptop.

Thank you for your responses.  KBird's response sent me on a search for more info on AMD Radeon issues and I landed in a chat room reading an article called "X13 Released Too Soon?" which led me to a great Chief article:  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00106/troubleshooting-3d-camera-view-display-problems-in-chief-architect.html#Determine.  At least I'm not the only one with graphics card issues.  

After going into my preferences and unchecking the box that allows my MacBook Pro to switch back and forth between video cards and also re-booting my computer, I am able to open a couple of my plans - sometimes - without error messages and then I'll open it at other times and the same error messages pop up.  I'm hoping the help desk will have a fix or a suggestion for me tomorrow - which I'll be happy to share here.  

If you are running X13 on a mac and you get this message:

No message available for this error number. There is either a missing ERROR.INT entry or the file ERROR.INT cannot be opened from the installation folder.

Then please contact our technical support team.  We have had a number of people call into tech support with this problem but so far we have been unable to duplicate this problem on any of our internal machines.  We think that this means that there is a problem on your system related to file permissions. In all cases that have been reported, the file was on the system but it could not be read by the program.  We are still investigating this problem but we are trying to get as much information about it that we can.

If you are getting any of the other error messages, but not the "No message available" one, you should review this tech article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00106/troubleshooting-3d-camera-view-display-problems-in-chief-architect.html

And if all else fails, please contact tech support:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

Thank you Dermot for the info.  I tried to replicate the "No Message Available" for you and was successful the first time on a plan that I generated on an X13 plan template.  It crashed before I could make a zip file so I opened it again and I received the other error message stating that it was a "rendering error."  Because I was curious, I tried opening it a 3rd time and there were no error messages.  Very odd that there was no consistency.  I have had a ticket open with Connor H at the help desk and he has suggested updating my Mac and using only one of the graphics cards.  I've tried both of those suggestions as well as re-booting.  At the moment I can work on some of my plans, but not all.  There are 2 other Macs in my firm with the same issues.  

Susan

Are you receiving this error when the MacBook Pro is plugged in or when it is running on battery?

The default is Automatic Graphics Switching = Checked,  This means that when it runs on battery the computer using the onboard Intel UHD Graphics.  When it is plugged in, it uses the Graphic Card, in my case, it's the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

Go to System Preferences > Battery >  and also Power Adapter  (Both) > Uncheck Automatic Graphics Switching.  This will use the AMD graphics card at all times, but will decrease battery life.

Greg, 

Thank you for the suggestions and the explanation. 

1.  I receive the error message loop and crash if I'm plugged in or not plugged in.  

2.  I have tested plans with the automatic graphics switching "on" and also tried turning it "off".  I still receive error messages (and crash) and it is not always the same error message.  Rarely there is no error message at all.  

3.  If I reboot, I can usually get into a file with no issues, but that only lasts for a short time before requiring another reboot.

Susan

Carrie at the help desk and Scott Harris found a fix for my issues.  They had me uninstall X13, reboot, and install the previous version of X13.  So far so good!  

Thank you all for your suggestions.  Chieftalk and everyone working at Chief Architect are amazing at finding solutions!

31 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Carrie at the help desk and Scott Harris found a fix for my issues.  They had me uninstall X13, reboot, and install the previous version of X13.  So far so good!  

Thank you all for your suggestions.  Chieftalk and everyone working at Chief Architect are amazing at finding solutions!

Will it let you open files saved in the newer version of X13?  just curious..

(sorry for doubling up but this maybe important info for some)

Just a little more information that may help others with this same problem...

This problem is our top priority at the moment.  Although it is only affecting a subset of mac users, we consider it a very serious problem and are very determined to get to the bottom of this. This is a very complicated problem and every indication is that this is very related to an OS update as well as a compiler update.  We don't believe this is related to any of the code changes in 23.2 because if we just recompile the code for 23.1 using the updated compiler, it has the same problem. Unfortunately, it is difficult to roll back either the mac OS or the compiler so we are looking for a solution that works with the current versions.

When we do find a solution, we will try to release an update as soon as we are able to.  Until then, there are a few things that you can do:

- You can go back to the previous X13 version (23.1) instead of the most current update (23.2).  Any files already saved in 23.2 can still be opened in 23.1.  Unfortunately, this means that you will not get any of the other useful bug fixes that are in 23.2 but this at least should allow you to run X13 for now.  If you need help doing this, please contact technical support for assistance.

- All of the reports we have received, and all of our house testing, has suggested that this problem only happens if you open a file by double-clicking on the file outside of the program.  You may want to try using the Open Plan tool from within the program instead.  You will have to launch the program first and then use either the startup options dialog or the file menu to open your plan files.

- There also seems to be a correlation with people opening files from online sources, such as dropbox or onedrive.  You may also want to try downloading the file to your computer first and then opening it from your computer.  Please note that you may also need to manually upload the file when you have finished working on it to make sure your online source stays up-to-date.

And as always, please feel free to contact tech support if you are experiencing any problems like this and need any additional help.

19 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Just a little more information that may help others with this same problem...

This problem is our top priority at the moment.  Although it is only affecting a subset of mac users, we consider it a very serious problem and are very determined to get to the bottom of this. This is a very complicated problem and every indication is that this is very related to an OS update as well as a compiler update.  We don't believe this is related to any of the code changes in 23.2 because if we just recompile the code for 23.1 using the updated compiler, it has the same problem. Unfortunately, it is difficult to roll back either the mac OS or the compiler so we are looking for a solution that works with the current versions.

When we do find a solution, we will try to release an update as soon as we are able to.  Until then, there are a few things that you can do:

- You can go back to the previous X13 version (23.1) instead of the most current update (23.2).  Any files already saved in 23.2 can still be opened in 23.1.  Unfortunately, this means that you will not get any of the other useful bug fixes that are in 23.2 but this at least should allow you to run X13 for now.  If you need help doing this, please contact technical support for assistance.

- All of the reports we have received, and all of our house testing, has suggested that this problem only happens if you open a file by double-clicking on the file outside of the program.  You may want to try using the Open Plan tool from within the program instead.  You will have to launch the program first and then use either the startup options dialog or the file menu to open your plan files.

- There also seems to be a correlation with people opening files from online sources, such as dropbox or onedrive.  You may also want to try downloading the file to your computer first and then opening it from your computer.  Please note that you may also need to manually upload the file when you have finished working on it to make sure your online source stays up-to-date.

And as always, please feel free to contact tech support if you are experiencing any problems like this and need any additional help.

Any chance this is also causing this Preferences Error I am working on solving with Anne in Tech.Support ?

- it only happens on a MAC Laptop with the latest Version installed , and resetting Prefs. and rename the .ini has not helped.

649565687_ErrorMessage.thumb.JPG.a42258c487f01e60d873071295832127.JPG

In my case the endless loop error messages and subsequent crash happened regardless of what I tried:

1.  I tried opening through the Chief X13 "Open Plan" option that is offered at start up.

2.  I tried opening through my local copies stored on my hard drive by double clicking on the file.

2.  I tried opening through a plan downloaded to my desktop that was not syncing to Google Drive.

3.  I tried opening through Google Drive as I've done for years (and yes, I know that is not the preferred method and I will no longer be working that way - I will be downloading).

4.  My issues started after upgrading to the newer version of X13 and upgrading to Big Sur.  

5.  My error messages referenced Catalina.

6.  Very rarely I could open a plan without issues, but 99% of the time there were errors and crashes.  

7.  Uninstalling X13, rebooting, and installing the older version of X13 has been the solution for my computer and for the other designer in my office.

My husband was in software development for many years so I know how challenging it is to fix bugs.   I am incredibly appreciative of all the manpower it took behind the scenes to figure this out - thank you!!

1 minute ago, SusanC said:

In my case the endless loop error messages and subsequent crash happened regardless of what I tried:

1.  I tried opening through the Chief X13 "Open Plan" option that is offered at start up.

2.  I tried opening through my local copies stored on my hard drive by double clicking on the file.

2.  I tried opening through a plan downloaded to my desktop that was not syncing to Google Drive.

3.  I tried opening through Google Drive as I've done for years (and yes, I know that is not the preferred method and I will no longer be working that way - I will be downloading).

4.  My issues started after upgrading to the newer version of X13 and upgrading to Big Sur.  

5.  My error messages referenced Catalina.

6.  Very rarely I could open a plan without issues, but 99% of the time there were errors and crashes.  

7.  Uninstalling X13, rebooting, and installing the older version of X13 has been the solution for my computer and for the other designer in my office.

My husband was in software development for many years so I know how challenging it is to fix bugs.   I am incredibly appreciative of all the manpower it took behind the scenes to figure this out - thank you!!

When you say you upgraded Big Sur, do you mean you upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur or just upgraded Big Sur to 11.5.2?  And was this the case for all of your macs seeing the problem?

Yes, this MacBook Pro and the other MacBook Pro had each been upgraded to the update for X13 and from Catalina to Big Sur.

The Mac desktop in the office, which is used rarely, we discovered is too old to run Big Sur so it will be replaced with a new Mac desktop.

20 minutes ago, Chief_QA said:

When you say you upgraded Big Sur, do you mean you upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur or just upgraded Big Sur to 11.5.2?  And was this the case for all of your macs seeing the problem?

In my case ( Preferences Error above) the laptop is still on Big Sur 11.4

600581134_MacSpecs.thumb.JPG.34dc852dd3b55407d049b5a5920b983a.JPG 

19 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Yes, this MacBook Pro and the other MacBook Pro had each been upgraded to the update for X13 and from Catalina to Big Sur.

The Mac desktop in the office, which is used rarely, we discovered is too old to run Big Sur so it will be replaced with a new Mac desktop.

Which did you do first the update to Chief or the upgrade to Big Sur?