Driveway "turning up" along edge. Why?

Michael_Gia

Ok, so I'm making a site plan with a few buildings as symbols with roads and driveways in order to have a birdseye view of an entire housing project.

This driveway seems to turn up or develop wings along its length.  Even where it meets an intersecting driveway.

Anyone know what this is?

1591668710_ScreenShot2021-08-27at1_13_20PM.thumb.png.b8a5e98e0bbb4a30cd13459a92f09c28.png

767957219_ScreenShot2021-08-27at1_13_39PM.thumb.png.87a95eca8cac5fd5210bf1f82d976185.png

18 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

I believe you will need to use a terrain area modifier to get the terrain down, then place the driveway on that.

I was trying to get around having to shape the terrain and opted to just lower my driveway instead. Obviously doesn't work.

It's just to difficult to get the terrain to slope down for driveways going below grade.

I've also tried lowering the terrain to the level of the underground parking and then "building up" the surrounding terrain by creating p-solids for all the areas around that are not driveways.

I'm desperate, lol 

4 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

I've also tried lowering the terrain to the level of the underground parking and then "building up" the surrounding terrain by creating p-solids for all the areas around that are not driveways.

Use the Terrain Tools and you don't need to "build anything Up"  with P.Solids

and don't use Terrain Features to control Heights , use Elevation Regions and the Driveways

will just sit on top and follow the Terrain as Mark mentioned.....

PS don't use the straight drive either it can't be reshaped , use the polyline driveway instead.

Mick.

image.thumb.png.5e959a382219304e7d34880581baf6db.png

11 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Use the Terrain Tools and you don't need to "build anything Up"  with P.Solids

You just brought the entire terrain down to the level of the garages.  The garages are supposed to be below street level, with a driveway that slopes down from the street. 
Making the terrain drop like that sharply around buildings is not easy at all.  

Originally I did as you did and started with a flat terrain at the elevation of the garages.  Then I created wedge shaped p-solids for the driveways and all surrounding areas were p-solids with a thickness equal to the height of the street. Even the streets were p-solids. I found them easier to shape than roads. I used 3d moulding polylines for the curbs and sidewalks which was surprisingly easy to do.  

I guess I’ll never understand terrains in Chief the way they were intended. 

Is my workaround ridiculous?  Or do you think it’s a viable option to Chief’s terrain tools?

1 hour ago, Michael_Gia said:

You just brought the entire terrain down to the level of the garages.  The garages are supposed to be below street level, with a driveway that slopes down from the street. 

Making the terrain drop like that sharply around buildings is not easy at all.  

Originally I did as you did and started with a flat terrain at the elevation of the garages.  Then I created wedge shaped p-solids for the driveways and all surrounding areas were p-solids with a thickness equal to the height of the street. Even the streets were p-solids. I found them easier to shape than roads. I used 3d moulding polylines for the curbs and sidewalks which was surprisingly easy to do.  

I guess I’ll never understand terrains in Chief the way they were intended. 

Is my workaround ridiculous?  Or do you think it’s a viable option to Chief’s terrain tools?

Obviously I am not familiar with the project but I see nothing that couldn't be done with the Terrain Tools,

at least so far as the info I have......

Where should the Terrain be at the Garage Doors then if not at the bottom of the Doors?

and the bottom of the Windows on the Road side?

You don't need P-Solids for the Drive (or a Ramp) if done properly as the Driveway will follow the Terrain Slope

( just sits on it unless you dictate otherwise.)

The Road appears to be a Road with Curb and sits on the Terrain also

Your Symbols Buildings stairs do not touch the ground either side of the building ...if that's important as far as the Presentation.

( red lines on Building corners were just so you could tell it was sloped between the buildings easier. )

Mick

image.thumb.png.75fd81aad42a77ab6734810ff4efe8fb.png  image.thumb.png.61a84e99203f83679f86aaa4a520d0ef.png

11 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

The Road appears to be a Road with Curb and sits on the Terrain also

Thanks Mick that's what I was looking for from what I see in your two images.

The street is more or less at the bottom of the 3rd step where you have your arrow in the front (facade basement window sills).

The Garages in the back are roughly 32" below the street and I see you have a nice sloping driveway in between the buildings.

As for the stairs in the back, I need to bring the grass up to street level, maybe with a retaining wall?

Now the only problem is how?  Elevation regions around buildings with streets that are curving away are tricky as far as I could tell.  I get lots of funny peaks and breaks.

50 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

The street is more or less at the bottom of the 3rd step where you have your arrow in the front (facade basement window sills).

If the front is brought up for the stairs it would cover the Windows....

15 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

As for the stairs in the back, I need to bring the grass up to street level, maybe with a retaining wall?

AFAICS the stairs in the back are going to make garage access difficult, and if you need a retaining wall there as well it, going to make that Turning Circle even smaller. ( but after a play it looks like you have 25' )

image.thumb.png.5743d5cd1b171881cd8755812a0b72ee.png here I just let the Driveway follow the terrain to "fake" the retaining wall

39 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Thanks Mick that's what I was looking for from what I see in your two images.

5 Elev. Regions and a Terrain Break has gotten most of this done......

Don't ever let Terrain Data Lines cross or touch each other

or you will get a bad case of the Crazies ( Spikes etc) , and is why I use

an Orange Line style and 95% transparent Fill for the regions ---

if they cross each other the Orange will appear darker ( 2x 5% = 10% solid)

as you can see on the right where i deliberately crossed them

( has no effect here as the cross-over is outside the T.Perimeter.)

image.thumb.png.1ed16f16cd7a27b0985f4fed7c6e1a18.png

30 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Don't ever let Terrain Data Lines cross or touch each other

or you will get a bad case of the Crazies ( Spikes etc) , and is why I use

an Orange Line style and 95% transparent Fill for the regions ---

if they cross each other the Orange will appear darker ( 2x 5% = 10% solid)

as you can see on the right where i deliberately crossed them

Wow, those are some great tips. 
Really appreciate it. 
Thanks, I’ll get back to working on it. 

4 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Wow, those are some great tips. 
Really appreciate it. 
Thanks, I’ll get back to working on it. 

Your Welcome , if you need more help PM me and we can set something up.

Mick

• Upvote 1