Does anybody like the wall fill when we auto detail sections?

dshall

I've suggested to Chief that they add a column to wall definitions for section display control of wall layers. Then we could choose a separate fill for each wall layer and a weight and color for insulation. Of course we'd also need Chief to place these items correctly for auto fill to work better. Currently they are on top of wall framing, so every section view constantly requires the exact same edits (not a PITA at all)...that is, if you actually use the auto-fill tool.

Scott,

Because the fill for the Auto Detail gets it's properties from the fill for the wall definition, can you arrive at a fill that has transparency that looks OK in both the plan view and cross section.

You can then see the framing through the transparent fill when you Auto Detail.

Not perfect, but works OK.

I think we need separate defaults for plan wall fills and cross section fills.

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 9.52.04 am.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, glennw said:

Scott,

Because the fill for the Auto Detail gets it's properties from the fill for the wall definition, can you arrive at a fill that has transparency that looks OK in both the plan view and cross section.

I like this idea the best.

However I do believe chief has given us this ability to some degree but it is a little counter-intuitive to how most of us use the program.

1.) Set your wall definition hatch to what you want to see on your sections which may be nothing at all.

2.) Use the wall hatch tool to set the 2d plan view fills you want.

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

2.) Use the wall hatch tool to set the 2d plan view fills you want.

This is way too much work for me.

Besides, the wall Hatch tool hatches the entire width of a multilayered wall - not really great.

9 hours ago, glennw said:

This is way too much work for me.

Besides, the wall Hatch tool hatches the entire width of a multilayered wall - not really great.

Yeah, that is why I think I will stay with the way I am doing it now and just adjust on cross sections. 

However I am not seeing the hatching across all layers in x13.  

image.thumb.png.f86015ed8faaa64172df3777a121512d.png

Perhaps it was like that previously?  I hardly ever used it (only for prepping marketing materials for builders) the tool so never noticed on what layers it went across.

On 8/26/2021 at 7:14 AM, dshall said:

332122157_ScreenShot2021-08-26at5_04_03AM.thumb.png.be197adb1b76a810881c6abf4db182ae.png

2064693373_ScreenShot2021-08-26at5_09_27AM.thumb.png.05d6409e789fc6e2436c864112b814d8.png

544969741_ScreenShot2021-08-26at5_11_17AM.thumb.png.7e841f80990348090cdf7647cab10f7f.png

Now all that being said, is it only me who is super curious as to what that big red block is on the right side in the attic cavity????  @dshall

15 hours ago, glennw said:

Scott,

Hi Glenn,  I have thought of this,   but it creates it's own issues.  I actually tried a wood grain fill at one time,  but for some reason that was a mess.

The big deal is it covers up thetas and bottom plates.  It might be okay if the fill was there,  in fact it could be desirable since now the fill will also define whether the wall is existing or new in section view as well as plan view.

That is the answer!  Leave the fill in but put it behind the top and bottom plates....  in fact,  maybe it would be nice if the exterior wall not only showed the insulation but the wall fill also.

As it is now,  either you get the fill or the insulation,  maybe we want both.

Hey CA,  please fix this during your coffee break today.  Thank You.

• Like 1

It is really nutty of CA not to of fixed this by now.  Who would want their top and bottom plates covered up by a wall fill.  I think I complained about this back in '63,  but I was ignored.

My wife ignores me too,  but tonight I am taking her out for Pakistani food and she is excited......  she like me,  she really likes me.

Hey Dermont!  Insulting Chief users probably isn't a fantastic business practice.  Just say'n.  I use Chief for a living, am quite busy, and yet I have the time to keep up on the forums.  If I sold/developed CA for a living, I would be intently interested what the users have to say.

Now that I have busted your chops a little, let me finish by saying that I absolutely love using Chief.  It is the third CAD platform that I have used (starting with a DOS based program), and by a huge margin, it kicks butt for residential projects.  As in any software, there are opportunities for improvements.  Us users typically use it every day, and some nights.  We are the experts on how well it works or doesn't work.  Small items that may seem trivial to a developer, add up to huge irritations to the folks who have to get plans out the door.  When you improve the program, enhance our work flow, we make more money!  When we make more money, we hire folks, buy additional licenses, and keep paying for the SSA.

IMHO, you should be reading the forums every day and be engaged in the discussion.

Have a great weekend! 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Hey Scott,  if you would like the program to work differently, then please submit a feature request.  You should already know that no one here has time to actually read all of these posts.  The only reason I am reading it now is because I am sitting around having coffee on my day off.  It's really nutty that you haven't figured this out by now.  :)

I usually do submit feature requests.  I think I submitted a request 10 years ago for this particular feature?  I forget now.  

Joe did submit a feature request on this the other day.

No worries,  you guys have done a super job with so many other feature,  this is a small hiccup.

1 hour ago, mborean said:

IMHO, you should be reading the forums every day and be engaged in the discussion.

How about arranging an online meeting with the 5 guys on this forum who could discuss their ideas on how to improve the software or the problems they are experiencing?

The group of 5 would be easy to select.  We all know who they could be. 

That seems more efficient than somebody going through an endless list of suggestions, doesn't it?

2 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

How about arranging an online meeting with the 5 guys on this forum who could discuss their ideas on how to improve the software or the problems they are experiencing?

The group of 5 would be easy to select.  We all know who they could be. 

That seems more efficient than somebody going through an endless list of suggestions, doesn't it?

I don't think Chief Has a Users Group ( Industry Pros) anymore they solicit ideas from like they did 5-7 years ago

which is kind of a pity as meeting Industry Standards is pretty important to Everyday Users....

• Upvote 1

On 8/26/2021 at 7:14 AM, dshall said:

332122157_ScreenShot2021-08-26at5_04_03AM.thumb.png.be197adb1b76a810881c6abf4db182ae.png

2064693373_ScreenShot2021-08-26at5_09_27AM.thumb.png.05d6409e789fc6e2436c864112b814d8.png

544969741_ScreenShot2021-08-26at5_11_17AM.thumb.png.7e841f80990348090cdf7647cab10f7f.png

It took me a little while to do the same thing and that is delete the wall fill. I couldn't understand where those polyline boxes were coming from until I investigated it.