Breaking walls

winterdd

One thing I have have not yet mastered is manipulating wall breaks in elevation views. Aren't we supposed to be able to add a break, grab a grip and pull to the desired shape? It has never worked for me.

Also, Can you add a break on stairs in plan view and pull grips? The pic below shows what I am trying to do. Bring down the wall to an angle leaving some exposed treads and then extend the tread widths to be flush over the angled wall.

I normally just add a wall flush under the stairs and chief angles it for me. I don't want to do that on this home though.

image.thumb.png.a856bad949f9cc5e9353d2b30f6a2a8c.png

Rob,

With regards to the wall breaks.

They only work on the tops of the wall, not sides or bottom.

So you need to manipulate the location of the break and edit the top of the wall to get the shape you want.

It is a bit tricky until you understand how it works.

With this wall, you can see where I have placed breaks in the 2 top sections of the wall - one horizontal and one sloping.

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 10.03.17 am.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 10.06.04 am.jpg

Thanks guys, adding a complete break in the stairs worked, which broke it into two stairs basically. I mean if it works it works I guess. lol. Now onto the wall breaks. I will be glad to figure that out since dormer walls can sometimes be a pain in the same sense.

image.thumb.png.491f3489c24b3cfabccb3a76a4f7090a.png

I was just thinking. If I widened the treads I simply extend the wall to the bottom tread and essentially answered my own question if you look back at my first post. "Let chief angle the wall". duh! Thanks for the help guys. Of course now the damn wall stud is exposed lol. whatever!!!

image.thumb.png.829973f46a1e854ab6ae0a9ba3cb719b.png

1 hour ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Of course now the damn wall stud is exposed lol. whatever!!!

This happens all the time in this situation.  Always have to add a solid to cover and paint...  One of the many issues with pony/railing walls.

10 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

I see he had the same issue with his wall end.

An invisible wall, 1/2" thick, using your drywall material is very helpful for these situations. Place it at the same location as the break in the stairs, set to through wall at start and end. Break the 2x4 wall, and reverse the layers of one side.

image.thumb.png.e1bd7a1e88100090ed3934df2ac37c98.png