X13 RTRT Error - "Device Removed"...Help?

plannedRITE

Afternoon Chief-ers,

A few weeks ago I had X13 crashing a minute or so after opening any 3d view. I updated my GFX drivers and it eliminated the issue...until now. It's back and happens very quickly after doing any RTRT. GFX drivers and chief are both up to date, GFX drivers had a fresh install as well. I haven't found any fixes for this other than what had fixed it last time.

Any advice would be appreciated, than you! I'd attach the plan set to reference but I imagine it's not a plan specific issue and the file size is too large to attach. I can attach a drive link if necessary.

Screenshot 2021-08-24 133101.png

28 minutes ago, plannedRITE said:

Afternoon Chief-ers,

A few weeks ago I had X13 crashing a minute or so after opening any 3d view. I updated my GFX drivers and it eliminated the issue...until now. It's back and happens very quickly after doing any RTRT. GFX drivers and chief are both up to date, GFX drivers had a fresh install as well. I haven't found any fixes for this other than what had fixed it last time.

Any advice would be appreciated, than you! I'd attach the plan set to reference but I imagine it's not a plan specific issue and the file size is too large to attach. I can attach a drive link if necessary.

Screenshot 2021-08-24 133101.png

Did you install the latest Chief program update dated the 18th?

Just now, Renerabbitt said:

Did you install the latest Chief program update dated the 18th?

Yessir, as soon as I had received the prompt. And it seems to have a mind of it's own now. It hasn't crashed in 20 minutes or so, just being slower than the norm. I dialed back some of my normal OC settings which could have been causing issues given the size of this plan.

image.thumb.png.08f4ba0be24e46a16faa255afea8305e.png

I'm frequently getting this crash in raytrace mode as well, if I start moving the camera around or "rebuild walls/floors/ceilings" with the F12 key. I'm running an AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT on the latest available drivers... so it's not just limited to Nvidia cards and their drivers. So far I haven't had the crash with a camera just sitting in a single location processing, only when moving it. And of course moving it in standard rendering works just fine without crashing as well.

8 minutes ago, CSHighTech said:

I'm frequently getting this crash in raytrace mode as well, if I start moving the camera around or "rebuild walls/floors/ceilings" with the F12 key. I'm running an AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT on the latest available drivers... so it's not just limited to Nvidia cards and their drivers. So far I haven't had the crash with a camera just sitting in a single location processing, only when moving it. And of course moving it in standard rendering works just fine without crashing as well.

This is a Windows Graphic timeout issue that coincides with your gfx driver, whatever it may be. Lookup TDR

On 8/24/2021 at 5:11 PM, Renerabbitt said:

This is a Windows Graphic timeout issue that coincides with your gfx driver, whatever it may be. Lookup TDR

Thanks Rabbitt, I'll look into that and cross my fingers. Not a fun issue to fight with.

2 hours ago, plannedRITE said:

Thanks Rabbitt, I'll look into that and cross my fingers. Not a fun issue to fight with.

Something to note for your particular example you posted above. You don't have all of your lights turned on for that camera view. That will greatly increase the possibility of a timeout when in RTRT mode

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, mrdese said:

Nope, it's not

Ha, are you out here trolling me? I said an apology in the other thread, I don't engage in battles this way, I'm a very friendly and giving guy. Name is Rene Rabbitt, nice to meet you.

Back to topic, It specifically is an issue that is occurring by the camera view being rendered causing a Windows Time Out and killing the gfx card driver. My statement was true, could it be solved on CA's end..I'd guess that probably it could...but in the meantime I'd take the steps required to keep moving forward as so many of us have gotten around this issue. Some of these issues pop up if you have custom profiles loaded in GeForce experience. None of these issues thus far have had anything to do with the CPU vendor that I have encountered. I offer Chief training and so have already troubleshooted about 30 machines now, all needing some sort of better handshake between windows update, the gfx driver, and Chief. If people reading this have SSA..call Chief

When I was a Beta tester on the early versions of X-13 I ran into this issue frequently with the same error message and it was explained to me by the BETA reporting team that any note regarding the Astral engine and "Device Removed" is in fact a timeout issue with the new Dirctx12 based rendering engine. It occurred 100% of the time on one plan I had until I went into the registry and changed the TDR delay value, which immediately circumvented the issue.(much to my Beta reps dismay) Though subsequent releases of X-13 along with doing a clean driver install and some windows updates helped me revert the reg key back to OOTB. Brian Beck of Chief actually bought my same Surface Book 3 to test out the Quadro gfx card drivers to work through this. Love these guys.
As stated in the other thread, I agree that we can hope for some fixes to X-13's code, but in the meantime...why not try some of these things out.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

When I was a Beta tester on the early versions of X-13 I ran into this issue frequently with the same error message and it was explained to me by the BETA reporting team that any note regarding the Astral engine and "Device Removed" is in fact a timeout issue with the new Dirctx12 based rendering engine. It occurred 100% of the time on one plan I had until I went into the registry and changed the TDR delay value, which immediately circumvented the issue.(much to my Beta reps dismay) Though subsequent releases of X-13 along with doing a clean driver install and some windows updates helped me revert the reg key back to OOTB. Brian Beck of Chief actually bought my same Surface Book 3 to test out the Quadro gfx card drivers to work through this. Love these guys.
As stated in the other thread, I agree that we can hope for some fixes to X-13's code, but in the meantime...why not try some of these things out.

Perhaps you should put a tutorial in the Tips Section , since you seem to have the DL on this problem as related to Chief at least....

M.