Scale is off on printouts

Connelly

When a layout is saved as a pdf and then printed, the scale is off. Paper size is ARCH 24 x 36 and scale is set to 1/4" = 1'. The error factor is different on different printers. The printout from Office Depot, a 40' dimension measures 38' 10.5" using a scale ruler. That is an error of 2.8%. The printout from our Engineer, a 40' dimension line measures 39' 7" on a scale ruler, a 1.5% error.  Either way, it presents problems in the field. How do I make sure the scale on the print outs are accurate?

Thank you,

Connelly

I question that as well....

1 minute ago, GeneDavis said:

Who builds by using a scale on prints?

However,

Check the scale of the printed PDF with a PDF viewer/editor such as Bluebeam REVU. If the scale is correct, then have the hard copy print with the proper paper size using "no scaling" or whatever the printer options are.

Something is definitely wrong with print settings.

1. how exactly are you producing your PDF?

2. In CA are you printing using to scale with the fit paper greyed out but saying 100% ?

3. does a Hard copy print from CA (no PDF involved) produce a plan to scale?

4. are all all paper layout seting defaults correct?

It would also help to know what version of the software you are using, you can add this to your signature.

Yeah, crazy concept, build according to plans. But, hey, that's we do here. ;-)

I am using CA X12 for Mac.

With the layout file open --> File --> Export --> Export pdf

In the popup window:

Destination

Name: Chief Architect Save As PDF

DPI: 600

Paper

Orientation: Landscape

Size: ARCH D (24" x 36"

Print Range

All

Print Source

Drawing Sheet ARCH D (24"x36")

Drawing Scale

To Scale    (Note Drawing Scale: "100%" is grayed out)

Options

Copies: 1

Advanced Options

"Open System Print Dialog" is grayed out

Preview

Update Automatically

Then, click on "Save as PDF".

33 minutes ago, Connelly said:

Yeah, crazy concept, build according to plans. But, hey, that's we do here. ;-)

I am using CA X12 for Mac.

With the layout file open --> File --> Export --> Export pdf

In the popup window:

Destination

Name: Chief Architect Save As PDF

DPI: 600

Paper

Orientation: Landscape

Size: ARCH D (24" x 36"

Print Range

All

Print Source

Drawing Sheet ARCH D (24"x36")

Drawing Scale

To Scale    (Note Drawing Scale: "100%" is grayed out)

Options

Copies: 1

Advanced Options

"Open System Print Dialog" is grayed out

Preview

Update Automatically

Then, click on "Save as PDF".

He said "who builds with a Scale Rule" , not who builds from the plans......

However I would say your Engineer and Print Shop are not Printing at 100% but allowing Adobe to use "Fit"

instead, a common mistake as Fit is the Default setting.

M.

Why are you using the export and not the PRINT function?? If you use the print, the system print dialog is not greyed out. whereas it is in the export.

Therefore there is a difference in how the output is produced. Dont know what!!

I have always "printed" the layout as that is what you would do if you wanted a hard copy. Have never even noticed the export in the drop down.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kiwideziner said:

Why are you using the export and not the PRINT function?? If you use the print, the system print dialog is not greyed out. whereas it is in the export.

Therefore there is a difference in how the output is produced. Dont know what!!

I have always "printed" the layout as that is what you would do if you wanted a hard copy. Have never even noticed the export in the drop down.

Ahh yes I missed the Export part , I have always Printed to PDF too

M.

10 hours ago, Connelly said:

When a layout is saved as a pdf and then printed, the scale is off. Paper size is ARCH 24 x 36 and scale is set to 1/4" = 1'. The error factor is different on different printers. The printout from Office Depot, a 40' dimension measures 38' 10.5" using a scale ruler. That is an error of 2.8%. The printout from our Engineer, a 40' dimension line measures 39' 7" on a scale ruler, a 1.5% error.  Either way, it presents problems in the field. How do I make sure the scale on the print outs are accurate?

The problem might not be how you created the pdf... it could also be on the end of whoever is printing the pdf document. Are they printing at 100% scale? Often times the default setting when printing from a pdf reader/viewer is "Reduce to printer margins" or "Fit to paper" or something along those lines. 

5 hours ago, Kiwideziner said:

if you are using "CA save as PDF" in the destination, it is greyed out as well in the print dialog. They appear to be exactly the same dialog either by using the export or the print functions, IF using CA save as PDF as the destination

Thank you for the replies. On the next set of plans I will try printing versus export and make sure that when we print, the “fit to page” (or margins) is off. Looks like there are simple solutions.