New Layer Not Showing Up

RayCas

Hi

Hoping someone can help me with this,,,,

I created a new layer while in an elevation view (adding some light blocks and stuff) to the exterior,,,,  this new layer only shows up in an elevation view on the "layer display options" layer list.

when In plan view and full perspective I open the layer display d box and this new layer is not there. This new layer is only visible in the layer set I was using when I created the layer!!!

Is this sompton new!!! I don't ever remember being able to do this b 4....

No, I do not care to send  the plan along with this enquiry, but thanks for asking.

Ray C

If you actually created a custom layer it is not possible for it not to be listed, selectively in any Display Options, that is not happening, look again please.

DJP

Hi Dave

I wish it where so

In plan view, "first flr" layer set, layers  d box looks like this

Flr Pln layer Set

in a cross section, "section view" layer set, layers d box looks like this

section view layer Set

I'm not sure how I accomplished this,,,,, just glad I'm able to keep going on this plan that's near completion

Luv n 6, Ray C

Hi

Hoping someone can help me with this,,,,

I created a new layer while in an elevation view (adding some light blocks and stuff) to the exterior,,,,  this new layer only shows up in an elevation view on the "layer display options" layer list.

when In plan view and full perspective I open the layer display d box and this new layer is not there. This new layer is only visible in the layer set I was using when I created the layer!!!

Is this sompton new!!! I don't ever remember being able to do this b 4....

No, I do not care to send  the plan along with this enquiry, but thanks for asking.

Ray C

Edit: this is not correct see posts below.

Ray that's how Chief is supposed to work. Typically you (I) don't want every new Layer to be in every Layer Set but if for some reason you do, check this box.

post-302-0-40709700-1418915901_thumb.png

EDIT: Whoa - I just checked this and Chief certainly does add new Layers to every Layer Set without the Modify All Layer sets box checked. 

Ray that's how Chief is supposed to work. Typically you (I) don't want every new Layer to be in every Layer Set but if for some reason you do, check this box.

attachicon.gifLayer setsts 3.PNG

Oh boy,  not sure if I agree with this,  I do want every layer in every layer set and I think CA is suppose to add every new layer to every layer set.

Oh boy,  not sure if I agree with this,  I do want every layer in every layer set and I think CA is suppose to add every new layer to every layer set.

I just checked this and Chief certainly does add new Layers to every Layer Set without the Modify All Layer sets box checked. Sorry for the confusion. What's that check box for again?

Hi Dave

I wish it where so

In plan view, "first flr" layer set, layers  d box looks like this

in a cross section, "section view" layer set, layers d box looks like this

I'm not sure how I accomplished this,,,,, just glad I'm able to keep going on this plan that's near completion

Luv n 6, Ray C

Neither show as used in plan? (Red +) If they are not in plan, than they will not display, correct.

me either,,,,, the problem with that switch at the top of the layer set D Box "modify all layer sets" (pretty sure) also changes the line wts in all sets to the current layer set,,, I'm not touching that one!!!! :-)

when I have time I'll check it out with another plan.

thanks folks

I 'think' this is how it works or should work. When you add a new Layer it adds a new Layer to every Layer Set but that new Layer can have unique properties in each Set.

You can change those new Layer properties in each Set, or change those Layer properties across all Sets by checking the 'Modify All Layer Sets' box. Does that sound correct?

Just tested and this appears to be correct. Don't fear the 'Modify All Layer Sets' button it only affects the single Layer's property you've selected, it doesn't affect any other, or all Layers.

Whoa - I just checked this and Chief certainly does add new Layers to every Layer Set without the Modify All Layer sets box checked. 

SEE!

at least I know  (assume ?) :-) it's not operator error  :-)

I new sompton looked screwed up,,,, and FYI I'm pretty sure if you make a change to a layer set and check the  "modify all layer sets" you'll mess things up royaly

back to work, thanks

As far as I know, it is impossible to create a new layer in one layer set that does not exist in all layer sets.

It is possible to have different names in different layer sets though.  This is not the default behavior and it is highly recommended that you don't ever try to do this because it will only lead to confusion and frustration.  Open your preferences dialog, go to the Layers panel, and make sure "Modify Name In All Layer Sets" is checked.  (Note that this is not the same thing as the "Modify All Layer Sets" checkbox on the Layer Display Options dialog box).  Do not ever uncheck the preference for "Modify Name In All Layer Sets".  Eventually, this "feature" will be removed because it only seems to cause problems.

To determine if you have a case of different names on different layer sets, just open the Layer Display Options dialog.  Select the layer you have questions about.  Change the layer set using the drop down box at the top.  The layer should remain selected.  If the name is different, then your layer sets are messed up and in a very confusing state.  You should fix them or stop using this plan.

If this is not your problem, then I have no idea what your problem is.  I would recommend that you contact technical support for more help.  Posting a question like this is only going to lead to lots of random guesses but no one can know what the problem is without the plan file.

Regarding the "Modify All Layer Sets" checkbox on the Layer Display Options dialog, this only controls whether or not any changes to the layer attributes (such as line color, weight, or style) get transferred to the other layer sets.  It should not affect the names. 

Posting a question like this is only going to lead to lots of random guesses but no one can know what the problem is without the plan file.

OK, that's not going to happen based on the last sentence of his first post. But thanks for asking....

As far as I know, it is impossible to create a new layer in one layer set that does not exist in all layer sets.

It is possible to have different names in different layer sets though.  This is not the default behavior and it is highly recommended that you don't ever try to do this because it will only lead to confusion and frustration.  Open your preferences dialog, go to the Layers panel, and make sure "Modify Name In All Layer Sets" is checked.  (Note that this is not the same thing as the "Modify All Layer Sets" checkbox on the Layer Display Options dialog box).  Do not ever uncheck the preference for "Modify Name In All Layer Sets".  Eventually, this "feature" will be removed because it only seems to cause problems.

To determine if you have a case of different names on different layer sets, just open the Layer Display Options dialog.  Select the layer you have questions about.  Change the layer set using the drop down box at the top.  The layer should remain selected.  If the name is different, then your layer sets are messed up and in a very confusing state.  You should fix them or stop using this plan.

If this is not your problem, then I have no idea what your problem is.  I would recommend that you contact technical support for more help.  Posting a question like this is only going to lead to lots of random guesses but no one can know what the problem is without the plan file.

Regarding the "Modify All Layer Sets" checkbox on the Layer Display Options dialog, this only controls whether or not any changes to the layer attributes (such as line color, weight, or style) get transferred to the other layer sets.  It should not affect the names. 

Thanks Dermot

my preferences where set correctly and somehow still managed to add a layer that only shows up in the layer set I was in when I created the new layer,,,,, I dun no!  :-)

I'll send the plan in with the steps I took (try to remember) when time permits

thanks, Ray C

messed Up plan