I've been trying to learn Chief Architect. Frustrated and discouraged. Nothing seems to be working! The online tutorials go too fast, and when I pause and back up, they go back too far. Is there a written resource (or a resource that I can print) that will help me learn CA step-by-step?  I abandoned Archicad after 15 years to learn/use Chief Architect, and I don't want to make the same mistakes. Thank you for your help.

• Upvote 1

Help...View Users Guide and View Reference Manual. 

The Users Guide has tutorials.

I am not sure that you would want to print them though - a lot of paper.

I don't know if you can still purchase hard copies of these from Chief. Have a look at there web site.

Diane,

I can tell you that my first experience with Chief was painful. I could not make anything work, it was all pretty alien to me. To say I was frustrated is the understatement of the year.

First, in direct answer to you question: Yes, Terry Munson produces some very good books for all the versions and more specific detailed ones as well.

http://www.chiefapprentice.com/Downloads.html

I bought one for X5 I think and frankly never really used it much. I simply started by drawing houses and adding things, learning how to manually do roofs, then added a "skill" one by one. Before long it became pretty second nature and I could see the results. That being said, as part time guy at this, there is still a lot I don't know. This forum is amazing with lots of folks, very skilled and talented folks, willing and able to help, and answer your questions. I see this as the number one resource. I read these forums and see others having problems and learn from the solutions offered. I'll go try it out myself and see how it works.

Next, I watched a LOT of videos. LOTS. They were a great resource too. With SSA, Chief has their own series, but that is just the start. Another very good resource is Chief Tutors. Completely free. http://www.chieftutors.com/chiefx1.html

Many, many videos there on everything. Yet others on You Tube to include a Bridge Troll member here Scott(also on Chief Tutor) but he has his own You Tube channel too. Google searches with the problem and add "chief architect" will find lots of answers.

It's like anything, it does take a little time, but it will come. Best of luck Diane, and welcome to the forum.

• Upvote 1

Is there a written resource (or a resource that I can print) that will help me learn CA step-by-step? 

Glenn mentions the User & Reference Guides.  These are accessible directly through Help on main toolbar--each opens a browser window with respective guide in searchable PDF.  Won't tell you how long it took me to figure out that little gem.  Once opened, I'd save to Desktop (or other folder and create Desktop Shortcuts). 

Those guides, the forum and vids Keith mentions, and poking around here: http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/database.html helped quite a bit. 

I do not know if you can still sign up to the 'old forum', which we transitioned out of early this year... check with an Admin... wealth of information there too.

Diane,

I can tell you that my first experience with Chief was painful. I could not make anything work, it was all pretty alien to me. To say I was frustrated is the understatement of the year.

First, in direct answer to you question: Yes, Terry Munson produces some very good books for all the versions and more specific detailed ones as well.

http://www.chiefapprentice.com/Downloads.html

I bought one for X5 I think and frankly never really used it much. I simply started by drawing houses and adding things, learning how to manually do roofs, then added a "skill" one by one. Before long it became pretty second nature and I could see the results. That being said, as part time guy at this, there is still a lot I don't know. This forum is amazing with lots of folks, very skilled and talented folks, willing and able to help, and answer your questions. I see this as the number one resource. I read these forums and see others having problems and learn from the solutions offered. I'll go try it out myself and see how it works.

Next, I watched a LOT of videos. LOTS. They were a great resource too. With SSA, Chief has their own series, but that is just the start. Another very good resource is Chief Tutors. Completely free. http://www.chieftutors.com/chiefx1.html

Many, many videos there on everything. Yet others on You Tube to include a Bridge Troll member here Scott(also on Chief Tutor) but he has his own You Tube channel too. Google searches with the problem and add "chief architect" will find lots of answers.

It's like anything, it does take a little time, but it will come. Best of luck Diane, and welcome to the forum.

The video's are GREAT but for someone with hearing impairment in both ears the MUSIC IS a distraction and makes it ALL but impossible for me to understand what he is saying. (but that's my ONLY complaint)!

I believe that you shouldn't just start drawing walls and roofs and learn as you go. Layersets, annosets, proper default setups, etc., etc. should be part of your thoughts on a plan right from the start if you are going to do a professional job. I look at it the same as a college course that teaches you all the proper basic setup and techniques before you do a full job.

My clients and contractors expect a quality plan and I have to make money while doing it. I am using most of the resources mentioned above and picking the style from each of them that works the best for me.

Terry Munsons books are great if you like a printed step by step but it is good to check out the others for additional input and help.

This forum is the absolute best for practical solutions from experienced users.

The video's are GREAT but for someone with hearing impairment in both ears the MUSIC IS a distraction and makes it ALL but impossible for me to understand what he is saying. (but that's my ONLY complaint)!

Curious, music in which video? I can't recall any that had that, but may have been.

I believe that you shouldn't just start drawing walls and roofs and learn as you go. Layersets, annosets, proper default setups, etc., etc. should be part of your thoughts on a plan right from the start if you are going to do a professional job. I look at it the same as a college course that teaches you all the proper basic setup and techniques before you do a full job.

My clients and contractors expect a quality plan and I have to make money while doing it. I am using most of the resources mentioned above and picking the style from each of them that works the best for me.

Terry Munsons books are great if you like a printed step by step but it is good to check out the others for additional input and help.

This forum is the absolute best for practical solutions from experienced users.

I wasn't doing a job while doing this, that was simply my way of introducing myself to the program and what was where. Then progressed through the more complex tasks required. I can't even imagine starting with annosets first as this program would still be in the box. Knowing how to do a set of plans, and knowing this program, although related, are really quite different. If, all you do is plans, that might be the right tact, but I was and remain a contractor first, and this is more of a side line for me. A useful one, but not primary.

Terry's books are really quite well written, and for those that learn best via a book, a great resource. I found that the videos by far were the best resource, followed by this forum for specific questions and problems. That remains the case still today.

One problem that you will face is that most tutorials all assume you have a basic understanding of how Chief works and that the default settings are already set-up. Absolutely not so an Sherry's advice is key that you understand these concepts before you even start drawing. I found the video below that will help you with defaults. This is imperative before you start drawing. It's from an older version but you should be able to find the relevant info in the newest versions.

I'll see if I can find some more that are most relevant for a beginner.

take a house - any house

preferably your own or a family or friends that you have constant access to

and model it - completely

by the time you are done you will have a very good understanding of how Chief works

learning "features" in a void - doesn't work for me

Lew

Diane, send me an email from my address below in my signature if you like and I will give you 3 hours of free training (online) to help you with any questions you may have. I'm mainly free on the weekends but sometimes during the week too.

take a house - any house

by the time you are done you will have a very good understanding of how Chief works

Lew

Yes, by all means model an existing house but DON'T start without understanding Defaults, Layers, and Annotation Sets.

I agree 100% with this philosophy of learning Chief. Learn Defaults, Layers and Anno Sets, then start drawing.

Curious, music in which video? I can't recall any that had that, but may have been.

The video on "Dual Roof Gable Design"...... I am trying to learn everything I can about the manual roof tool(s). I might do better if I mute the sound and just watch over and over (as time-little of it) permits.

One problem that you will face is that most tutorials all assume you have a basic understanding of how Chief works and that the default settings are already set-up. Absolutely not so an Sherry's advice is key that you understand these concepts before you even start drawing. I found the video below that will help you with defaults. This is imperative before you start drawing. It's from an older version but you should be able to find the relevant info in the newest versions.

I'll see if I can find some more that are most relevant for a beginner.

Larry, I suspect you are right for the large majority of people, and defaults were one of the things I set out to do early, with templates. I quickly learned though that these were nearly useless for where I work, with a few exceptions. The average home I work on in NW DC is about 100 years old and they are completely different in every single one. Virtually nothing the same. From the terracotta brick foundations, to the actual dimensional lumber (when it was actually a 2x4) I've seen every variation in height, structure and materials imaginable. Even within a single house where it may have been added to several times over the years. So I still have defaults, but know full well that they will and are going to change on every single house I'm on.

For new or newer contruction, this would help a lot, and a good idea to do, and learn, regardless.

take a house - any house

Lew

Lew,

In large part, that is what I did. Helped me a lot. Unlike many of the folks on this forum, I'm not a full time designer, more part time in support of my work as a contractor. I know the trades very well, but translating into this program was a bit of a curve.

The video on "Dual Roof Gable Design"...... I am trying to learn everything I can about the manual roof tool(s). I might do better if I mute the sound and just watch over and over (as time-little of it) permits.

Bob,

The I read a post from the Bridge Troll once that said learn to do roofs manually and I took that to heart. I watched countless videos until I could successfully do, and understand how they work/worked. It makes all the difference in the world.

Then learn about Annotation Sets. Absolutely key to using Chief effectively.

Here's one from the great Scott Hall

ANNO SETS FOR DUMMIES PART 1

Larry, I agree 100% with this. This is the one area that I wished I'd spent more time earlier. It is my weak suit for sure.

Larry, I suspect you are right for the large majority of people, and defaults were one of the things I set out to do early, with templates. I quickly learned though that these were nearly useless for where I work, with a few exceptions. The average home I work on in NW DC is about 100 years old and they are completely different in every single one. Virtually nothing the same. From the terracotta brick foundations, to the actual dimensional lumber (when it was actually a 2x4) I've seen every variation in height, structure and materials imaginable. Even within a single house where it may have been added to several times over the years. So I still have defaults, but know full well that they will and are going to change on every single house I'm on.

For new or newer contruction, this would help a lot, and a good idea to do, and learn, regardless.

Don't confuse defaults with templates, they are 2 different things. Defaults need to be set up for each new house configuration and shouldn't necessarily be good from house to house. Templates of course are designed to fit houses that have the same basic configuration.

So first thing is to set up the default floors, room heights, roof pitch, foundation type etc. If you can use a template from a previous plan (which include that plan's defaults), fine, but even then you need to check defaults first thing before you even start drawing the first wall.