Thank you Chief!

kwhitt

This new update from today is everything I'd hoped it would be.  Reflections behind glass now work perfectly even with refraction.  They were even able to restore the standard renderer to its former state.  This software just keeps getting better and better.

CAM02_08-20-21.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Kevin, you rocked it.

I saw the same thing last night in a set of ray traces. Not as refined as your work. 

I had wanted to show a client a design change she asked for and did not wish to pound it out on the CPU so PBRed it. 

I am teaching an architect in Argentina how to use Chief as he is taking the long but beautiful route through Lumion. I am using this house and he has been following along for months.

He couldn't believe it was Chief.

If they keep going in this direction its a game changer.

Definitely cudos to Chief. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

that is some impressive detail, even went to the effort of putting two painting vertically on the one wall.

At least I get to see what the cool kids design, a nice reprieve from floor plans, roofs and stairs that I seem to do all the time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Thanks for the News Kevin , I haven't had time to play with it yet....

Mick. 

Mick - let me know what you think when you take it for a spin.  I am impressed that they were able to fix so many things with both render engines in one update.  Very cool that I was able to complete this one job yesterday in about 5 hours and the renders look as though I spent days...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarckusW said:

Kevin, you rocked it.

I saw the same thing last night in a set of ray traces. Not as refined as your work. 

I had wanted to show a client a design change she asked for and did not wish to pound it out on the CPU so PBRed it. 

I am teaching an architect in Argentina how to use Chief as he is taking the long but beautiful route through Lumion. I am using this house and he has been following along for months.

He couldn't believe it was Chief.

If they keep going in this direction its a game changer.

Definitely cudos to Chief. 

Thanks Marckus.  I looked into Lumion a while back and concluded it was too expensive to add to my tool set considering I already have subscriptions for AutoCAD, FormZ, Cinema 4D, Corona Renderer, UV Layout, and Marvelous Designer.  I was using these other applications exclusively before finding Chief a couple of years ago.  Chief sure has streamlined my workflow; however, I still create most of my own 3D symbols outside of Chief.

7 hours ago, jasonN said:

that is some impressive detail, even went to the effort of putting two painting vertically on the one wall.

At least I get to see what the cool kids design, a nice reprieve from floor plans, roofs and stairs that I seem to do all the time.

Thanks Jason.  I do my share of CD's too, but have the most fun with rendering (when there's time).

6 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Great news Kevin!  I just downloaded it. 
Lovely render you did there!

Thanks Mark.  I'd love to hear what you think of it.  I was fortunate yesterday in that I had a new project to start, so took a chance on the update.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  I was just complaining about the standard renderer and opened a support ticket only a week ago.  Tech support was professional as always, but I didn't really expect the update this soon (and as complete as it was).

That is awesome Kevin!!! 

I am on a MAC.  Can anybody out there on a MAC do the same quality of work as Kevin?

If so,  I want to hire you to show me how to do it. Seriously,  can anybody out there help me do what Kevin does?  If you can, please post a rendering From a MAC and then let's talk

Thanks

you can email me if you would like.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dshall said:

That is awesome Kevin!!! 

I am on a MAC.  Can anybody out there on a MAC do the same quality of work as Kevin?

If so,  I want to hire you to show me how to do it. Seriously,  can anybody out there help me do what Kevin does?  If you can, please post a rendering From a MAC and then let's talk

Thanks

you can email me if you would like.

Thanks D. Scott.  I've been using rendering software for about 25 years and only in the past 5 has all the training sunk in.  I made great headway when I started studying photography as the same principles apply.  It's all about light balance and contrast.  After a while you develop an eye for it - although I hate to admit that it took me so long to grasp these concepts.  In full disclosure, I did adjust the curves on the image above in Photoshop, but that was it.  It would be great if Chief offered some post production within the software, but I suspect that's coming.

2 hours ago, dshall said:

That is awesome Kevin!!! 

Currently the MAC can not use the new PBR-RT View  or Clay Views due to the hardware limitations.....

But some on a PC with a  3000Series card could take your Plan(s) and do Renders for you assuming they have a 3000 series Nvidia Card. (Perry?)

Mick.

2 hours ago, kwhitt said:

Mick - let me know what you think when you take it for a spin.  I am impressed that they were able to fix so many things with both render engines in one update.  Very cool that I was able to complete this one job yesterday in about 5 hours and the renders look as though I spent days...

Hi Kevin, sorry to bring a downer to the party but I am not seeing what you are unfortunately,

can I ask what Nvidia Driver you are using , I have a couple of small Cabinet jobs to do today

and would like to try again with them, as I am starting to think my 3080 has an Issue.......

Mick.

10 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

FWIW, I've found that X13 23.2.0.55 is very sensitive to the driver veraion.  Make sure you update to the latest driver for your GPU.  You should check the GPU status in Preferences and then find, download and install the latest driver for that GPU.

Thanks Joe I am running 471.22 currently , 471.68 is the latest I believe.

Mick.

24 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Thanks Joe I am running 471.22 currently , 471.68 is the latest I believe.

Mick.

I noticed that Windows Update did NOT find the latest driver for my RTX 3090 card.  I had to go directly to NVidia to download.  Here is a link for the latest RTX 3080 driver:  https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/179682/en-us  I mention the above if you are merely relying on Windows Update to give you the latest - it won't.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

I noticed that Windows Update did NOT find the latest driver for my RTX 3090 card.  I had to go directly to NVidia to download.  Here is a link for the latest RTX 3080 driver:  https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/179682/en-us  I mention the above if you are merely relying on Windows Update to give you the latest - it won't.

Thanks Kevin , and no I don't let Windows Update Drivers at all and also do not run Nvidia Geforce Experience as I don't use any of those "Addons" either, so do it manually every month or so unless I find issues , and then I usually Update my Nvidia Driver thread here for others, but wondered if this maybe a driver specific Issue ( or my card )

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16205-nvidia-drivers-updated/

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Thanks Kevin , and no I don't let Windows Update Drivers at all and also do not run Nvidia Geforce Experience as I don't use any of those "Addons" either, so do it manually every month or so unless I find issues , and then I usually Update my Nvidia Driver thread here for others, but wondered if this maybe a driver specific Issue ( or my card )

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16205-nvidia-drivers-updated/

Sorry Mick.  Just seeing where you asked which driver I was using.  It's the 30.0.14.7141 version.  What are you running into?

On 8/21/2021 at 4:19 AM, kwhitt said:

Thanks Marckus.  I looked into Lumion a while back and concluded it was too expensive to add to my tool set considering I already have subscriptions for AutoCAD, FormZ, Cinema 4D, Corona Renderer, UV Layout, and Marvelous Designer.  I was using these other applications exclusively before finding Chief a couple of years ago.  Chief sure has streamlined my workflow; however, I still create most of my own 3D symbols outside of Chief.

" I create most of my 3D symbols outside of Chief. "

That is what I thought. I called Chief a couple of times last month when they went GPU to understand the PBR ray trace engine as the controls are very simplistic compared to CPU. Tech support told me as much as they could and what they know about the future direction of ray tracing. They told me the RT engine is a different group and he thought they had 3 or 4 people working on it. I asked him to thank them and whomever is moving this ball forward so as to give them encouragement. I suggested they create more 3d objects and enhance the controls and transparency with other existing products. 

Clearly with the software and hardware you have you are using RT as part of your design and sales. 

I have a similar back ground of having started as a custom cabinet and furniture shop which became design / build. Our cabinets have always been so detailed that no matter the software I can hand draw faster than I can manipulate the face frames / frameless  / boxes to what is wanted... however in about 98 the architect I was using gave me his autocad and what was then ART to play with as he is and was old school. ART renders blew away what I could show clients in Cabinetware and similar programs. Since what I do requires hand draws no matter what I moved to ART and then to Chief.

I work in Resolve and Adobe which require more the merrier CPU and GPU cores so have been using CPU RT to enhance design and sales. I have called Chief a number of times over the years to ask that they incorporate GPU.  I founded a production company in Argentina which of course pays the bills with commercial photography, commercials etc.

I am too lazy to use Photoshop so post in Lightroom. 

The architects in Argentina I am training on Chief use AutoCad, Sketchup and Lumion to finish. Prior to this upgrade the CPU RTs could not touch what they do. We are simplifying their work flow to be Chief to Lumion. 

This is a much needed upgrade.

Once again "Thanks Chief!"

Kevin, great thread!

On 8/21/2021 at 6:29 AM, Kbird1 said:

Currently the MAC can not use the new PBR-RT View  or Clay Views due to the hardware limitations.....

But some on a PC with a  3000Series card could take your Plan(s) and do Renders for you assuming they have a 3000 series Nvidia Card. (Perry?)

Mick.

I do have the card but not into pbr raytraces because frankly I don't want to send an image to the layout, I get a lot of changes sometimes and I know I will forget to re-send the updated image.  I really like to keep everything live.

7 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I do have the card but not into pbr raytraces because frankly I don't want to send an image to the layout, I get a lot of changes sometimes and I know I will forget to re-send the updated image.  I really like to keep everything live.

I only mentioned you as I thought you maybe able to help Scott out , but there are any number of Services who could do it as well including Jintu (Chiefer)

Mick.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

I only mentioned you as I thought you maybe able to help Scott out , but there are any number of Services who could do it as well including Jintu (Chiefer)

Mick.

I'm always willing to help Scott out, he taught me everything I know and the king of workarounds back in the day when we had a lot of those.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I'm always willing to help Scott out, he taught me everything I know and the king of workarounds back in the day when we had a lot of those.

Yeah I knew that, and that was why I suggested He Tap you.... 

• Upvote 1