Steel Fence / Panel

ACADuser

7 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

How can you use that on a railing?

Use the Panel Setting and apply square mesh as the material ( only see through in STD View )

Most Clients I've had said it was called Hardware Wire in the US and usually 4x4" in size , pretty common at Farm Supply Stores apparently.

think i set Chief size to 20x20 here ( don't link to pattern )

image.thumb.png.f85dc0ca2bbc165e985cfe918ca30f2b.png

Instead of using a material, I think you are better off using a railing panel which will display properly in both render and vector views.

This is a panel railing using the Cross-Hatch Ironwork - although you can't easily change the sizing of the mesh.

Standard:

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 10.26.20 am.jpg

Vector:

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 10.26.44 am.jpg

Settings:

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 10.30.00 am.jpg

As Mick says, probably easier to create your own from cylinder solids, multiple copy and save as a Millwork symbol.

It should only take a minute or two.

You can then use it in your railing panel.

This one just took me less time than to write this post.

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 4.19.44 pm.jpg

This afternoon I'm messing around with this railing panel.

I see that making a 6' high rail I need a 6' high symbol as Chief stretches in the vertical direction.

In the horizontal direction Chief overlaps the pattern.

But I wanted 1" gap left & tight. My mesh has 1" overlap on the left & right but the railing

shifts the pattern.

How do I get that side margin?

CA Panel.PNG

Wire Mesh.calibz

Not sure really do-able auto Alan. would be a bunch of work as you can add a stretch plane to the width outside the panel eg if 42" make it 25", so it won't stretch, but the Panel would need to be the exact width you need between newels so likely not great time wise, and I cant think of anyway to give the auto 1" gap both sides.

so you might be back to a 1/4" thick PSolid with the Mesh material in that case. and place and adjust manually each one...

image.thumb.png.27dc98351c95a995b35efb6f617e6de2.png

You can use two of those panels you made in an Open Railing and overlap them manually to get the 1" gaps.....

image.thumb.png.c6aa91473de9f483108cb9b436957232.png image.thumb.png.5026fbadbf55aadc11deedfb2a525ba1.png

19 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

I may give up on the boundary.

Perhaps Show it in a Detail ( build just 1 panel to fit)  as an "Option" and let Auto Handle most of it.

just add a couple of manual verticals in the centre there after it stretches. 

M.