Some questions from a newbie

TriDiWorx

59 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

It would actually be just about the best of both worlds if it worked the way it was originally intended to work.

So Mick is correct in saying neither work properly in all situations.

I believe it does work exactly as intended.  I see no other way that would have made sense.  And to say "neither work properly" is a bit of a fallacy.  They both do what they were intended to do.  They both just have their limitations as to what they can do.  It is simply impossible to have rounding that is both always consistent and that always adds up across multiple segments and multiple strings.  I think a better and more accurate statement would be:

"It would actually be just about the best of both worlds if it worked the way I thought it was originally intended to work.

Mick is correct in saying neither work properly ideally in all situations."

I suspect (based on past discussions with you on the subject) that your understanding about how grid rounding was "intended" to work was just tainted early on by either poor wording in the manual or by a misunderstanding of what the writer intended to communicate.  Either way, I assure you that its working just fine. Numbers are rounded to the nearest point on the rounding grid based on the rounding precision being used.  You simply cannot have it both ways.  In fact, the grid rounding is working so precisely and predictably that I could almost certainly tell you exactly what the dimension would be rounded to for any 2 given points in a plan without even using a dimension tool.  

21 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

you may want to reconsider "sometime later" if going to buy outright as not only is the Sale over Aug.31st but the price is going Up 10% as well.

just found this in my Email.......

image.thumb.png.af0f370df8ab5b04b658b147ee545d1c.png

Wow a big discussion happened as I was busy doing a project that I need to finish tomorrow and start with a new one :). Small and easy one, but I am still very slow with Chief and probably did everything with wrong tools, but it will still serve its purpose well :). Practice makes better (not perfect).

Thanks to everyone who gave solutions and tips. I think I am a buyer. There are some things in Chief I like very much and some not so much, but every software has goods and bads.

The community seems great and helpful also.

As for the price it is a shame that this is happening in one week already. I just started my own one man company a couple of months ago and doing all the work alone and after working every day after my full time job. Had to invest in hardware first. I am still at the start of things :) and probably will not have even the discounted asking price by Aug 31 so will probably have to overpay in a month or two.

10 minutes ago, TriDiWorx said:

probably will not have even the discounted asking price by Aug 31 so will probably have to overpay in a month or two.

Small Business/personal Loan ( or friends/family?)  or Visa and pay it off would be Cheaper for sure , renting is the most expensive option long term ( add 20%) but also an easy way to get the license over the next couple of years if the Jobs are still a bit thin at this time...

Since you have been Renting already , I believe if you buy outright now , they rebate some of the rent against the purchase.... have a look at the Rental FAQ. but I am not sure it count's with Sale Pricing.... I would suggest emailing Sales since in Europe and see what they can do for you this coming week.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/software-rental/

You can purchase at any time. You will have a credit of the amount you paid, less the prorated rental fee, toward the purchase. The rental fee for each product can be found in the Terms and Conditions of the Software Rental. Example: If you decide to purchase Chief Architect Premier after 4 months, you would have a credit of $669* toward the purchase. Upgrades and Additional Licenses do not qualify for a rental credit toward purchase for this product.

On 8/22/2021 at 10:34 PM, Kbird1 said:

Small Business/personal Loan ( or friends/family?)  or Visa and pay it off would be Cheaper for sure , renting is the most expensive option long term ( add 20%) but also an easy way to get the license over the next couple of years if the Jobs are still a bit thin at this time...

I have already thought a bit about those things. Loans that I can take have minimum number bigger than I need and I do not want to use personal money for this. Some taxes stuff and all that I do not want to do right now. I only invest in tools and software right now with my company earned finances. Basically every way I calculated it boils down to about the same or even more expensive and more extra work. I will manage :).

But thanks for the suggestions I did write to Chief sales just in case. Will see what they say. If nothing then I will have to buy it later. I will definitely not rent it for all the period. I think one or two months at best. And yes there is a thing where a part of renting payment will go towards full purchase.