Need Help with Roof and Dormer

RayWeed

Hello,

I'm a residential builder by trade, work out in the field daily and do drafting by hand.  However, I've been using CA for a bit and consider myself still very very green.  I drafted a plan which I am pleased with but I feel the roof is far too compilicated for my skill level.

What I have: 

I have the main roof, an 8/12, coming down to a porch with a pitch change to a 4/12.  On that, I'd like to add an asthetic A that starts on the porch and finishes on the main roof.  For some reason I cannot get this figured out.  

I have attached my hand drafted profile of the house, however it does not show any depth or dimension.  I would be willing to pay someone for their time to create a video or walk me through how this is done.  

House Front.docx

Assuming you have automatic roofs turned on,

1. Break the porch wall into 3 walls, with the middle wall the width of the "aesthetic A".  The simplest way is to draw perpendicular cad lines across the wall at the proper distances and then break the walls at those cad lines. 
  2. Open the dbx of the middle wall and change the roof to full gable.
  3. Close the dbx and the program should draw the gable matching the pitch of the adjacent planes.
  4. This will also mess up your porch columns most likely if they are drawn and spaced automatically.  Ignore this.
  5. Turn off automatic roofs.
  6. reconnect the front porch wall to be one continuous wall - porch columns should correct themselves.

After this, you cannot auto update the roof without losing this detail.  I usually wait until I'm done with the remainder of a plan to finalize odd details like this.

Lastly, if you desire the front gable pitch to be different from the adjacent planes, you can open the gable roof planes and change them to the desired pitch.  There's a bit of cleanup work here on both the ridge connection and connecting valleys.  It takes a little practice and is much easier to do in 3-D once you get the hang of it.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1