Global Macros from Notes Possible?

Renerabbitt

Maybe I am doing something wrong but wanted to create a library of notes that carried global macros without using the attached macro option of the library item iself. Meaning I want to set a global macro from either the notes text or Custom Field.
I couldn't get it to work, confirming that I am not doing something wrong.

49 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

I want to set a global macro from either the notes text or Custom Field.

The defining macro needs to be executed somewhere onscreen or else the global will never be defined. It doesn't necessarily need to be visible, but Chief needs to render it somehow.  If you want to use the Text Field for example, then you would need to have the Note Schedule placed somewhere in your view (even off to the side) and the Text Column would need to be displayed.  Because the Text Column is displayed, the defining code will be executed, and then global variable will be set.  The problem with the Text Field is that the Note Schedule is the only place that text can be rendered onscreen aside from the actual data entry field.

If you want to use a Custom Object Field, you could still use the schedule method, but there are other more complex methods you can use as well.  For example, you could just include the defining text in your actual callout label in such a way that it is not displayed, like this maybe...

%simple_schedule_number%%($test = custom_fields["Test Field"]); ""%