Moving Structure using Edit Area Changes Finishes

alexpwalsh

Any time I shift an entire structure in a plan file using Edit Area, my interior paint returns to default Bone color and exterior siding gets confused as to what goes where. For example, my stone wanescot will suddenly be applied to an entire wall instead of just 3ft high. I'm not sure if this is a glitch or I have something setup incorrectly. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Are you pasting into a new Plan or just moving it over a bit? 

Pasting into a new plan may cause the Structure to pickup the "Defaults" for that plan ....

M.

I've had the same issue. Not sure why it does it. It occurs for me when just moving a building or structure say 10' feet or so. It will also occur when using the reverse plan tool.

I do not find that it occurs when you use the "edit - edit area - edit all floors" to select what you want to move, which may be an answer for the OP. I use the same thing when not only moving objects but reversing the plan and reflecting about a line.

@Kbird123 Just moving a house within the same plan.

@Crusader103 Sounds like it actually is a bug if someone else has experienced it. I pretty much exclusively use the "Edit Area - All Floors" command to make sure I'm getting the whole house and I still get the weird finish changes. Guess I will have to live with it, thank goodness for the material painter!

24 minutes ago, alexpwalsh said:

Just moving a house within the same plan.

There was a bug with Edit Area early in X12, that's why I asked about another Plan ( more likely a defaults Issue) so I would report this to T.S. through your Digital Account.

thanks.

Mick.

27 minutes ago, alexpwalsh said:

Guess I will have to live with it, thank goodness for the material painter!

I would not recommend this for Exterior Walls eg Stone vs Siding as it only changes the Material not it's thickness in the Wall Definition.

There is a Post here on the Forum about "Best Practices for the Paint Can Tool" ...try a search for it.....

Mick

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

I would not recommend this for Exterior Walls eg Stone vs Siding as it only changes the Material not it's thickness in the Wall Definition.

There is a Post here on the Forum about "Best Practices for the Paint Can Tool" ...try a search for it....

I agree.  Not sure if this is the thread you're talking about or not, but here are my thoughts on the subject...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I agree.  Not sure if this is the thread you're talking about or not, but here are my thoughts on the subject...

Ah - huh , that's why I couldn't find it..... post was about the  "Paint Spray Tool"   not "Paint Can Tool"  (Material Painter)

You should put a copy over in the Tips Forum too...

M.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 7:40 AM, Kbird1 said:

Ah - huh , that's why I couldn't find it..... post was about the  "Paint Spray Tool"   not "Paint Can Tool"  (Material Painter)

You should put a copy over in the Tips Forum too...

M.

I guess not , so I've done it for you.....  you're Welcome.