Window Labels

Doug_N

When placing window labels on plan drawings, using a macro the window area is included to help the plans examiner evaluate the clear glass area to satisfy the code requirement of daylight available for a given room size like this.

1144152302_CustomWindowLabel.thumb.jpg.92e53395f861acd8eddee519d3da027d.jpg

Unfortunately when the window schedule is created the label is automatically changed to 

1454114613_CustomWindowSchedule.thumb.jpg.8aed44ae521a863bac668aa56348cd12.jpg

Even though there is an option to include the schedule number in the window label

2019562412_WindowDBX.thumb.jpg.7d9a28a944f1a3903e78c4790c234e33.jpg

and even if I have this selected the label just shows the schedule number only.

661687017_WindowDBX-2.thumb.jpg.b5e7b9ad459372c913e5d8b4a3781beb.jpg

Is there a setting to show the schedule number AND the window label?

Objects set to be included in schedules can automatically either use their standard Label or they can use a Callout label but not both.  Whether a Callout is used for the label or not is controlled by the schedule(s) that object is included in (Labels>Use Callout For Label). 

The Callout label is limited to the schedule prefix and the schedule number.  If you want to include more information than that, you will need to uncheck Use Callout For Label.  If you're using the Automatic Label then you can choose to Include Schedule Number.  If you're using a Custom Label though you'll have to manually include %schedule_number% in your label.  

You can also optionally have both the standard label and a callout label by placing a callout manually and connecting it to the window using a line with an arrow, but that's typically more work than its worth IMO.

43 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Objects set to be included in schedules can automatically either use their standard Label or they can use a Callout label but not both.  Whether a Callout is used for the label or not is controlled by the schedule(s) that object is included in (Labels>Use Callout For Label). 

The Callout label is limited to the schedule prefix and the schedule number.  If you want to include more information than that, you will need to uncheck Use Callout For Label.  If you're using the Automatic Label then you can choose to Include Schedule Number.  If you're using a Custom Label though you'll have to manually include %schedule_number% in your label.  

You can also optionally have both the standard label and a callout label by placing a callout manually and connecting it to the window using a line with an arrow, but that's typically more work than its worth IMO.

Ah ha!!! The window label is determined by the schedule call out.  

1649021448_ScheduleDBX.thumb.jpg.3fa0fd31c00ee7bd0aa8ed57218248aa.jpg

So I can end up with this.... Just what I wanted.  Thanks again Michael.

1706595425_CustomWindowLabel-2.thumb.jpg.43156a6b236ed1848142bdf35e059727.jpg

Here are the macros that drive that label.  This is what the label text is.

1927011477_LabelMacro.jpg.1e3107b98f36330043c5dde737487ceb.jpg

And here is the Glass Area Macro

136460577_GlassAreaMacro.thumb.jpg.cb029f13a629d54d9514a9cc9ecd62a2.jpg

interesting, for my default windows,  I use:

[ %schedule_number%] %width%W x %height%H

what is the %automatic label% used for that you have, as you do not have the schedule in your macro, but your output shows it

40 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

Here are the macros that drive that label.  This is what the label text is.

2 minutes ago, jasonn1234 said:

what is the %automatic label% used for that you have, as you do not have the schedule in your macro, but your output shows it

The %automatic_label% macro will report values according the Automatic Label settings even if those settings are greyed out...

auto.thumb.png.f782bdaa44065711db8a8414ebfe856f.png

56 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

And here is the Glass Area Macro

Just in case you aren't aware of this, you can actually just enter that code directly into the label as well like this if you prefer...

%automatic_label%

%width% x %height%

(Glass Area

%((height-4.in)*(width-4.in)).round(1)%)

15 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Just in case you aren't aware of this, you can actually just enter that code directly into the label as well like this if you prefer...

%automatic_label%

%width% x %height%

(Glass Area

%((height-4.in)*(width-4.in)).round(1)%)

I have noticed that, but I use the macro for other things as well,  such as in another macro that totals the glass area of a floor.

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for Hijacking this post, Just that you guys have more or less nailed a problem I'm having... I suppose in reverse.  I have a custom window label, Just the word "Existing- WxH" in an As-Built plan, (no macros).  I have all the windows checked to be included in the windows schedule because they will be getting swapped out for new windows.  But I don't want the schedule call out changing the word Existing- WxH.  So I unchecked Use Call Out for Label in the schedule DBX,  Yet the schedule is still taking over the custom label err go removing the word Existing-WxH.  I need the schedule to reflect Existing -WxH as it's label the As-Built plan and (in the comments field in the schedule) I will type "R.O. will Accept XYZ window".  If I uncheck include window in schedule naturally I lose the window and it's no longer in the schedule. Not realizing what was going on while I was editing the schedule's comment column, when I returned to plan view all the windows had call outs W01, W02 etc.,  tpical if I wanted the call outs, even though I had unchecked Use Call Out for Label. I was unable to get my custom label back without removing the window from the schedule or deleting the schedule all together. Am I missing something? Thanks for any assistance and again I apologize if butting in.

Thanks Eric. Yeah I was going to, 

I thought being this topic was so on point and would save having to repeat veer bat um everything that was already said here.

As far as returns,

I'm so used to posting on FB and having to go back and edit every time you hit enter cause hitting enter in FB it posts instead of entering a return,  

I never know when I post something till I hit enter,  will it post or actually do a return. 

A 50-50% shot at that.  

7 hours ago, DougDM said:

Thanks Eric. Yeah I was going to, 

I thought being this topic was so on point and would save having to repeat veer bat um everything that was already said here.

As far as returns,

I'm so used to posting on FB and having to go back and edit every time you hit enter cause hitting enter in FB it posts instead of entering a return,  

I never know when I post something till I hit enter,  will it post or actually do a return. 

A 50-50% shot at that.  

In Facebook, use [SHIFT-ENTER] to create a new paragraph without posting.