PBR missing reflections and rope lighting

jtcapa1

I'm spending way too much time playing around with the PBR settings, and cannot help but complicate the small model with ton's of details.

I finally figured out how to make stain glass muntins/lites in doors and windows, but the color defaults to the color of the sash for windows and door for doors.

Still when I draft over a custom window glass .png file, I can get that image file to line up pretty close to the custom lite layout.  It is a bunch of fun and work but I was disappointed with the PBR image which took a good 5 minutes to display with 1000 lights turned on (don't have that many, but wanted to make sure the rope lights displayed)

and I did not get the rope light in the ceiling molding to display, nor the rope light under the island overhang to display.

Then I was wondering why there is so little light shadow's or even since the pantry light is on, why that layout image did not display on the floor as a reflection?

I also get light bleeding from the rope light? in the ceiling at the corner above the TV.

It could be some of the light settings that are off?

Kitchen PBR issue.jpg

John , don't take this the wrong way but you have been here long enough now to know that No Plan = No Answers ( or at best only guesses ) especially when it comes to PBR-RT, there are just too many variables including that you may have buried the rope light in the Crown Moulding as just 1 example.

Your pic is too small to read the DBXs ...but that maybe just me ?

It also a good idea to check the Cap Live Sample box so your Video Card doesn't run continuously at full speed. 

Mick

10 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Cap Live Sample box so your Video Card doesn't run continuously at full speed. 

I was going to upload the plan, but it is larger than I can upload here. I also wanted to take the night to run the old RT version. I got 75 passes in 14 hours.

I'll have to look into what the heck "cap live samples" are, as I've not messed with the default setting.

Here is the same camera with an all night run of Ray Tracing, Now I can see the rope lighting, and yes I checked dozens of times to adjust the rope lighting till it was visible.

In this case I can see the reflections and the lighting seems more correct.

Here is a link to my zipped file:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a1yvx9c0alsdogd/AAADNCrx8qD7BN6IggLOVSxOa?dl=0

3d Kitchen View 4 RT.jpg

11 minutes ago, jtcapa1 said:

I'll have to look into what the heck "cap live samples" are, as I've not messed with the default setting.

I had this issue myself and MarkMc pointed out the fix after finding it during his testing

image.thumb.png.a396c9e37c05a85aa0f82413fe1db902.png

Reflections and Glass has always been a bit nicer looking in the Traditional CPU RT , but most now consider the PBR-RT "good enough" due to the dramatically different Time frames  ie 3-5 mins vs 14 hours :) , unfortunately materials and lighting don't look the same in both so changes in one can break the scene in the other. ( I am not sure if ALL Materials in Chief are PBR Ready yet? )

No harm in just letting it run overnight , though it's been a while for me , IIRC there wasn't much benefit from running more than 50 passes.

Mick.

I set the default light set to 100 lights, then went back to the kitchen light set and made sure things needed were on. Still no rope lights in kitchen but better, did show up in the living room though.

Deleted invisible wall between kitchen and living room. Sometimes these cause trouble and with the warning message for the ceiling it's possible but that didn't solve it.

The biggest issue was -

Decided to split up the rope light as it listed 400 some odd lights. Took a bit to manage to select it as no plan views saved but finally got hold of it and deleted sections not in the view. Also set spacing between lights to 6" and slightly increased the lumens (35? 50?) If I were doing this from scratch I'd place the rope lights in sections to begin with so a light set without a gazillion lights on could be used per room.

I often turn these into spots before final size and placement when using under cabinet but test for this situation. Tend to be easier to control and use less resource.

Anyway that got the lights on  but they are too bright. Need to find a balance between what they are now and getting overblown by the ceiling spots.

Changed the material on the fridge since it bothered me. Just used one from the bonus metal materials instead of core. Also purged materials since they were a mess. Might want to increase emissiveness of lighting white. 'I tried to strip it down to a manageable size to post but broke the ceilings and didn't get small enough.

image.thumb.png.028733f275bd493f7dd17cedfa308af5.pngimage.thumb.png.016b624106e59052ecc3728027e86e88.pngimage.thumb.png.53bc5e3b1c2b619fc5b0d6f97119e17f.png

A bit more awake now.

Changed default lights to 100, set to kitchen light set, trimmed off portion of rope light not in view. Adjusted sun down  even more than above, experimented with sun OFF. Ambient set to around 35 instead of 0. So that gets the rope lights to show. While at it merged plan material "lighting white" then replaced with library version having better emissive so you can see it.

Here is what rope lights look like with invisible wall between kitchen and living room.

image.thumb.png.ff07b6a2c95c551dffa4e49748f36f7b.png

Here is after removing invisible wall, Note that the light is hidden behind the pot hanger even though you can now see the rope light since it is emissive.

image.thumb.png.4395e8a1836135b057bd828cda2d304e.png

• 1 month later...