Lumber component pricing

cementlogic

How do you set the price for an i-joist, stud, osb, etc. globally? Is there a way to do this for things like drywall, paint, trim, doors, globally as well? It seems the only way to price these components is in the room specifications which is quite cumbersome. 

1 hour ago, ChiefArmstrong said:

Are you using X12?  The solutions mentioned so far only work in X13.

X12 or X13 probably easier to do in the Master List.

1 hour ago, ChiefArmstrong said:

You might consider using the Master List to set prices.

I will upgrade to x13. Thank you all for the valuable input in whatever ignorance I have displayed in my questioning this approach to pricing lumber. I am novice in best utilizing the master list so this "structural member reporting" dialog seems like a great place to deal with the heart of the building cost. 

30 minutes ago, cementlogic said:

I will upgrade to x13. Thank you all for the valuable input in whatever ignorance I have displayed in my questioning this approach to pricing lumber. I am novice in best utilizing the master list so this "structural member reporting" dialog seems like a great place to deal with the heart of the building cost. 

The ML isn't the most intuitive portion of CA unfortunately and you can't make a template like for Plans and Layouts for reuse but you can tune the ML to only show Framing Items and then update line Items to the ML Master List ( and maintain there) and then bring the Line item back into the current ML.

image.thumb.png.a1da1a69c72321bec47a7b20196a7d1e.pngimage.thumb.png.859b899912caaf76382f35c5cc800b4e.png  

• Like 1

I am having the most success doing takeoffs with material list polylines with their own individual category settings and layers. To your point on Master List intuition I have experienced mostly frustration understanding it's value altogether but I am sure I just don't understand enough about it yet.

Thanks again for your attention to this subject. I'm a newb who has trained for years drawing everything in 3D by hand in sketchup. I am finding Dialog boxes in CA to be valuable but also daunting and dangerous. 

6 hours ago, cementlogic said:

I am having the most success doing takeoffs with material list polylines with their own individual category settings and layers.

This is an extremely powerful and robust approach and what I recommend doing as well.  If you're not aware, you can also group select those polylines and generate a combined material list.  You can then even further filter your results afterward by editing the Layer Set being used for that Materials List.

• Like 1