Change floor from slab on grade to foundation

madcowscarnival

I'm hoping there might be an easy solution to this.  I put together a plan for a builder, simple ranch with a slab on grade.  A new client of his liked the plan and wants to basically duplicate it, except over a full foundation.  I thought the easiest thing would be to build a foundation and have it auto-delete anything on the existing plan.  It worked, except my floor system is (still) a 4" conc slab. rather than 2x10 joists.  Is there a way to "build" the floor system over the whole house?  It looks like I could edit each room's floor, but seems there might be an easier way.

Follow-up question.  When I get the floor system solved, they want to put a high-floor closet over the toe of the stairs.  Usually I just manually adjust the floor height in that room only and let the builder frame it as he wants.  Is there a more appropriate/standard way to do this in Chief?

Thank you all.

I think Rob is right you just need to reset the Floor to a Framed Floor Type in the Defaults....

They want to put a high-floor closet over the toe of the stairs   .....

Yah got me , that is not a term I have ever heard......so can't really help.

Mick.

2 hours ago, madcowscarnival said:

Follow-up question.  When I get the floor system solved, they want to put a high-floor closet over the toe of the stairs.  Usually I just manually adjust the floor height in that room only and let the builder frame it as he wants.  Is there a more appropriate/standard way to do this in Chief?

Thank you all.

I think you have the right idea.  manually create a floor in the portion of the closet where you want to raise the floor and then I am assuming yo want a sloped ceiling over a portion of the stairs to get required head room and with the for cross section views and 3d you can add a slopedceiing plane.  A little bit of work but very doable.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dshall said:

I think you have the right idea.  manually create a floor in the portion of the closet where you want to raise the floor and then I am assuming yo want a sloped ceiling over a portion of the stairs to get required head room and with the for cross section views and 3d you can add a slopedceiing plane.  A little bit of work but very doable.

An invisible wall that is 1/2" thick can be helpful for creating a room within a room if you only need to adjust a portion of the closet's floor elevation. Then, take a section view through that room and use a p-solid to create the ceiling plane. That's what I do, paint it to the drywall material and place it on the Cabinet, Soffit layer. That's my suggestion.

Keep in mind the solid will 'land' on the surface you draw it on and it will be 1" thick. So, once it is shaped, double-click and make it the finished thickness of the stairwell, or stretch it in plan view.

12 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Curious.  Why not use a ceiling plane?

Speed. IMO it's faster to use a p-solid. And to be honest I usually use a 3d molding line (because it can be even quicker) but it's not what I'd suggest for most people. If you have an inherent knowledge of your elevations, then a ceiling plane can work just as well. 

16 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Curious.  Why not use a ceiling plane?

I’ve done it both ways myself.  The ceiling plane always seems like the logical solution and sounds like the right answer on the surface but it can result in all sorts of other little issues having to to do with wall intersections, snap behaviors and lack of refined edge placement and profile controls.  The polyline solid is almost always a lot quicker and more flexible.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone would be willing to take a look at my settings, this is the file that initiated my question about building a floor slab instead of framed (original sketch was slab on grade, this one is basement).  My settings all appear appropriate for a framed floor, but it doesn't seem to want to build it.  Thank you all for the help.

Carver - mod.plan