hotkeys reference

KellySantaRosa

Create Hotkey List
A list of the hotkeys available to the current program user can be saved in .html or .xhtml format.

Select Tools> Toolbars and Hotkeys> Create Hotkey List to open the Save Hotkey List File dialog, a standard Save dialog, and create a hotkey list that can then be opened in a web browser window and printed, if you wish.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

After getting the list in html I select all, copy, and paste special into a spreadsheet. Then sort by hotkey.

image.thumb.png.673d97d504f571d97d056f4cd48b03a2.png

Also add a sheet for "most used" and another to place in groups. I paste links to the original sheet for the command and hotkey so that they all update.

image.thumb.png.2264b6b8a6dfd001282b7652e2fe6911.pngimage.thumb.png.78572885677db754bbe8bb24e6ebb5c0.png

In Windows (don't know about Mac since this did not work way back when I had to work on one), once done create a shortcut to the file on the desktop. Open the shortcut and make the shortcut key "ctrl + Alt + "some letter or number" I use 2 -not you only type in the letter or number, ctrl alt is automatic. image.thumb.png.758f7bde199f86915fe0d753494e9a6f.png

As long as that is on the desktop or in a folder in the start menu the hotkey will work.

Advanced- I have a folder with subfolders in the start menu. One subfolder is called Shorts. I keep all the shortcuts with hotkeys there to avoid creating conflicts.

image.thumb.png.18cc0faa56d6a2e46fa0c0d9e9357ade.png

This makes it easy to bring up a list of all the hotkeys when you forget what you need, or check one of the extra sheets for special ones you don't use often, and or take a screen grab (mine are set to always on top) for reference or printing a short list.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 12:05 PM, MarkMc said:

After getting the list in html I select all, copy, and paste special into a spreadsheet. Then sort by hotkey.

image.thumb.png.673d97d504f571d97d056f4cd48b03a2.png

Also add a sheet for "most used" and another to place in groups. I paste links to the original sheet for the command and hotkey so that they all update.

image.thumb.png.2264b6b8a6dfd001282b7652e2fe6911.pngimage.thumb.png.78572885677db754bbe8bb24e6ebb5c0.png

In Windows (don't know about Mac since this did not work way back when I had to work on one), once done create a shortcut to the file on the desktop. Open the shortcut and make the shortcut key "ctrl + Alt + "some letter or number" I use 2 -not you only type in the letter or number, ctrl alt is automatic. image.thumb.png.758f7bde199f86915fe0d753494e9a6f.png

As long as that is on the desktop or in a folder in the start menu the hotkey will work.

Advanced- I have a folder with subfolders in the start menu. One subfolder is called Shorts. I keep all the shortcuts with hotkeys there to avoid creating conflicts.

image.thumb.png.18cc0faa56d6a2e46fa0c0d9e9357ade.png

This makes it easy to bring up a list of all the hotkeys when you forget what you need, or check one of the extra sheets for special ones you don't use often, and or take a screen grab (mine are set to always on top) for reference or printing a short list.

Mark, any way you can upload your Chief Architect color coded Hotkeys shortcut excel file? Sure would save us all a lot of time. Thanks for sharing the idea!

• 4 months later...

I think I got it now that you've spelled it out for me :) - I exported the hotkeys, then edited the delete object to be delete and I reversed it with the delete command since I'd never need a hotkey to shut down.  Then I reuploaded the modified html.

Thanks so far it seems to work!

2 hours ago, bdillard said:

I think I got it now that you've spelled it out for me :) - I exported the hotkeys, then edited the delete object to be delete and I reversed it with the delete command since I'd never need a hotkey to shut down.  Then I reuploaded the modified html.

Thanks so far it seems to work!

What you just described is making a mess of your hotkeys.  The Delete Objects tool is an entirely different tool than Delete or Backspace and the 2 shouldn't be confused.  The hotkey assignments you showed in your first post were correct and you really shouldn't have changed them.  I really recommend you call tech support and try to get to the bottom of what was causing your original problem because I don't think it had anything to do with your hotkeys.