new objects to certain layer

KellySantaRosa

I would like to specify that all new objects are drawn to a layer visible in a saved plan view (SPV). For example, drawing a rectangle in a SPV that does not have the "CAD, default" layer visible. If new objects could all be drawn into a specified layer, this would help to organize the plans as they are drawn.

For example when trying to draw an electrical outlet for the furnace in the HVAC SPV, seems I need to turn on the electrical layer when drawing the object, then change the object properties for the outlet to HVAC, then make the electrical layer invisible again to continue working. Is there a way to draw an outlet in the HVAC layer from the start?

1 hour ago, KellySantaRosa said:

For example when trying to draw an electrical outlet for the furnace in the HVAC SPV, seems I need to turn on the electrical layer when drawing the object, then change the object properties for the outlet to HVAC, then make the electrical layer invisible again to continue working. Is there a way to draw an outlet in the HVAC layer from the start?

There's a zillion different ways to deal with this.  Personally I don't show electrical on the HVAC plan, but I might make a note calling out the receptacle and to see the electrical plan.  Alternatively you can do what Rob suggested just above... or you can even create your own layer called HVAC_Electrical... and place that receptacle while in you're in the Electrical plan, then change it's layer to the HVAC_Electrical layer, and then it'll show up on both your Electrical plan and your HVAC plan.

15 minutes ago, KellySantaRosa said:

however, this is only one example of many occasions I need to change the layer of individual items and micromanage layer organization.

I hear you, and unfortunately there are no default settings for Electrical items that can be adjusted and then imported from one file to another. Try doing an Electrical Plan with an Electrical Schedule. It wouldn't make any sense to anyone because of all the weird names for Electrical Items. Essentially forces you to compile a massive User Library for existing items.

To your original point, I'd probably make an architectural block or a library folder of a few items that I use regularly on custom layers. I use a library of my own MEP items so that the name of the item displays as the label and also reports neatly and sensibly in a schedule.