Edit CAD block

stager386

Hello.  I need to edit a sofa from the manufacturer catalogue, and I am trying to edit the block, rather than resize the symbol with stretch planes.   When I select it, I then go to the "edit cad block" icon on the bottom. I make my edits, and save it to the library, but it doesn't show up in the camera view. It is no longer a symbol at this point, so what am I doing wrong?

Hello, and thanks for your help.  Let me clarify. And yes I have updated to X13.

1.  Choose sofa from library.

image.png.bdfd99827948d48341061bdb3631b1c4.png

2. Edit the block because I have specific changes, not overall sizing to change.

image.thumb.png.68e7377fe08e34b6056cb3cd0c418a58.png

3. New in x13 it takes me to a CAD Block window to make changes.

image.thumb.png.a41d7b3cca1df9c5a97e146c9179f0d6.png

4. After changes and saving it, it only shows up in plan view.  I don't know if I need to convert it back to a symbol or what.

Ok so this is a 2D cad block of a symbol that you want to edit the looks of ?

You placed the symbol into plan view and then accessed the appropriate cad block from "Cad Block Management" and inserted that into your plan and then proceeded with steps 2 and 3 ?

If so you then need to re block the cad block and give it a recognizable name.

Then go to the symbol and reassign it as the new 2D cad block.

24 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Ok so this is a 2D cad block of a symbol that you want to edit the looks of ?

You placed the symbol into plan view and then accessed the appropriate cad block from "Cad Block Management" and inserted that into your plan and then proceeded with steps 2 and 3 ?

If so you then need to re block the cad block and give it a recognizable name.

It doesn't show up in the camera view.  I am doing something wrong. I saved it in the library with a specific name. But when I pull it into the plan, after revisions, it still says "Cad Block 2" instead of the name I gave it.  It is not behaving like a symbol and I can't figure out how to make it a symbol.

It seems like you may have just missed the last step.

39 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

image.thumb.png.667ab59726e530be4c7d47cb879d9b9c.png

Once you give it a name it should show up in the list of "Available CAD Blocks" and can be assigned to the original symbol.

9 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

It seems like you may have just missed the last step.

image.thumb.png.667ab59726e530be4c7d47cb879d9b9c.png

Once you give it a name it should show up in the list of "Available CAD Blocks" and can be assigned to the original symbol.

I can't get it to the point that it becomes a symbol.

3 minutes ago, stager386 said:

I can't get it to the point that it becomes a symbol.

Sorry I don't have that particular sofa in my library.  Was it a symbol in the first place or just a cad block ?

Symbols have a 3D and 2D component that are really not connected in any way other than the software has an ability to regenerate a 2D cad block from a 3D symbol.

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Sorry I don't have that particular sofa in my library.  Was it a symbol in the first place or just a cad block ?

Its from the Manufacturer Catalogue: Kravet:Clemson

image.png.7e7b80bbd105853b4fdd0b8335fe40ac.png

image.thumb.png.ee1bf3250f7781a6fc1a26e6d2f4f5e1.png

6 minutes ago, stager386 said:

Thank you. I will view it right away!

Actually I looked at this video earlier today. It deals with architectural blocks. Hmmm....I am still plugging away at this. I know it's me, not the program. 

7 minutes ago, stager386 said:

Actually I looked at this video earlier today. It deals with architectural blocks. Hmmm....I am still plugging away at this. I know it's me, not the program. 

It's not a link to a video , and it isn't an arch. Block either , symbols and A.Blocks are different things....

CAD_Editing-2d-cad-blocks-assigned-to-3d-symbols_2021.pdf

Symbols are not easily edited , their CAD Blocks can be though... 

you haven't really said what you are trying to do though?

M.

15 minutes ago, stager386 said:

The tool you initially referred to (Edit CAD Block) will ONLY edit the 2D representation of the symbol; it will NOT affect the 3D view of the symbol at all. If I'm correct, I think you were hoping that would be a simpler form of size adjustments than using stretch planes.

12 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

It's not a link to a video , and it isn't an arch. Block either , symbols and A.Blocks are different things....

CAD_Editing-2d-cad-blocks-assigned-to-3d-symbols_2021.pdf 147.85 kB · 0 downloads

Symbols are not easily edited , their CAD Blocks can be though... 

you haven't really said what you are trying to do though?

M.

I am trying to modify this sectional sofa, in terms of size and proportion.  I need to make it as close as possible to something my client saw at a store.  And it has lots of config options, so I am trying to make it as realistic as possible to what she is looking at in a real store. And she wants to see a variety of options for this.  None of the furniture in CA is exactly right.  At the moment, I need to remove one of the sections of the sectional and resize a different section of it, and put it back together.  I can do all of that when I edit it as a CAD block.  But then I can't save my changes in a way that it shows up in my camera view.  I checked all the layer sets too, to make sure I am not simply hiding my finished product from view.  But the original sectional shows up fine. So I am somehow changing the sofa during the editing process, and making it incompatible for the camera view.

9 minutes ago, robdyck said:

The tool you initially referred to (Edit CAD Block) will ONLY edit the 2D representation of the symbol; it will NOT affect the 3D view of the symbol at all. If I'm correct, I think you were hoping that would be a simpler form of size adjustments than using stretch planes.

EXACTLY.  So, are you saying that what I am trying to do can't be done?

Yes you need to edit the 3D model to change the 3D model unfortunately.  The cad block can be automatically generated from the revised 3D model but they are two almost completely different things so you may need to go back to your previous thread and resolve those issues.

12 minutes ago, stager386 said:

EXACTLY.  So, are you saying that what I am trying to do can't be done?

YES !  Not the way your are attempting anyway.

Just now, stager386 said:

I need a variety of configurations for a sectional, for a client.    If the stretch planes/zones werent so wonky, I would just use that.

If we know the specific sizes you need, it may not be as difficult as you think.

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

If we know the specific sizes you need, it may not be as difficult as you think.

I am using these sectional pieces.

image.thumb.png.97885fd661f67271a833ff184628ad55.png

And trying to create this config at the moment. I will have to create other options for the client as well, so I am trying to perfect my hand at stretch zones and planes.  There isn't a lot of info on that topic, in regard to editing 3D symbols.  

image.thumb.png.5fd43fb3e2e2b2058002ea0cfee65987.png

14 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes you need to edit the 3D model to change the 3D model unfortunately.  The cad block can be automatically generated from the revised 3D model but they are two almost completely different things so you may need to go back to your previous thread and resolve those issues.

YES !

I have only found one video on stretch zones/planes, pertaining to furniture and other 3D symbols.  Do you know of additional resources, preferably from x12 and later? 

5 minutes ago, stager386 said:

Do you know of additional resources, preferably from x12 and later? 

So it seems that for the Kravet Clemson products that are available in the library none of them are exactly what you are after ?

If I am understanding or at least getting close to what you are after is some fairly advanced symbol manipulation for Chief but likely it can be done with a little patience.  

I would suggest that you break one of the existing sofas down into it's components and then configure and bump them together like cabinets until the client actually decides what they want.

I think you could get everything but the rounded corner piece that way.

Likely best to set up a screen sharing secession with someone or have someone do it for you and make a recording so you can do it yourself next time.