Toolbars corrupting in X13

RL-inc

I use a version of the extended toolbar for everything.  Same toolbars in all views.  I like the tools in the same place (muscle memory).  I use empty spaces to keep things stable. 

I'm not sure if it matters but, I sync my Chief folder between my desktop and laptop.  The screen is smaller on the laptop so I had to arrange my toolbars to fit that screen, otherwise when I switched to the desktop, everything was messed up. 

Rob, in you CAD screenshot above, you have the three little arrows at the end indicating there are icons off the screen. That always caused trouble for me.  One I got everything on screen and spaced correctly with empty space icons, I no longer had moving toolbars.  I don't switch between toolbar modes because that seemed to be a problem for me.  I never seemed to be able to switch back to my default toolbar without the jumping icons and having to reset toolbars.

Thanks Maureen-

I am going to go over all my bars and set up so all are the same with empty spaces to lock them in -

I have never had any issue with different toolbar configurations for different view prior to this issue starting in X12 and continuing into X13.

The Cad view I posted was to show how the toolbars are changing configuration from one view to another - normally I don't allow any icons to be compressed like that.

5 hours ago, MoeGia said:

I use a version of the extended toolbar for everything.  Same toolbars in all views.  I like the tools in the same place (muscle memory).  I use empty spaces to keep things stable. 

I'm not sure if it matters but, I sync my Chief folder between my desktop and laptop.  The screen is smaller on the laptop so I had to arrange my toolbars to fit that screen, otherwise when I switched to the desktop, everything was messed up. 

Rob, in you CAD screenshot above, you have the three little arrows at the end indicating there are icons off the screen. That always caused trouble for me.  One I got everything on screen and spaced correctly with empty space icons, I no longer had moving toolbars.  I don't switch between toolbar modes because that seemed to be a problem for me.  I never seemed to be able to switch back to my default toolbar without the jumping icons and having to reset toolbars.

Trying a version of this advice as I started seeing the issue again after the latest x13 release (sent in to tech support but they have not been able to duplicate the issue yet.)  It was doing great from last release of x12 when they figured out the issue all through beta, public beta and public release until this last release seemed to have broken it.  I was absolutely swamped so just pulled my ALDO, PB, & LB onto the main screen again and kept on.  I had learned my lesson enough so I always keep a copy of my toolbars set so that I can fix them.

Anyways with this all in mind, I am trying a version of all of these suggestions;

-I still have a Default, Kitchen & Bath, MEP, & Terrain bar

-They are all identical except the last bar has a section that is dedicated to that specialty with customized place library for MEP & K&B configurations but with plenty of room to the right

-Setup empty space at the end of each toolbar section and subsections with plenty of room.

With mac this issue has always been when having the ALDO, PB, & LB open on a second screen when the screen size and resolution is different.  So I made a copy of this as well as my old toolbars for easy fixing if this doesn't work, but have been working for a few hours again with my secondary items on the second screen.  I will continue to test to see if one of these items may be the key to this issue.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, rgardner said:

It was doing great from last release of x12 when they figured out the issue all through beta, public beta and public release until this last release seemed to have broken it.

Funnily enough , for me it was the exact opposite on the PC

- Never saw the Issue at all in X12 

- started with x13 Beta Versions , and pulled all Side windows back into the main Window on Monitor 1 ...which helped....

- Have not seen it again since the Public Release of X13 , so I have gone back to having Side Windows on my other monitors.

Not sure it matters but on a Desktop with all 3 identical Monitors, have not seen it on the Laptop but it is run single screen 95% of the time,

since if I'm in the Office I am on the Desktop as it has the 3080.

Mick.

Update-

I had a zoom meeting with CA tech staff and we looked into several factors that may be contributing to the issue.

Short version is no resolution.

Of course I couldn't reproduce the actual corruption on demand during our meeting but there were a few oddities that he noted such as some overlapping of tool handles and inconsistencies with tool spacing between views.

At this point, the policy of keeping my preferred toolbar configuration ready as a backup is the best solution we could settle on.

One thing that came up-  while the toolbar issue is not entirely based on my older video card, there were a few things that he pointed out that could be helped with a new card.

He mentioned an Nvidia RTX 2k series should be adequate since psychically based raytracing is not a big priority to me.

That said, any input on anything else in my specs that are of concern before I upgrade the card would be appreciated.

56 minutes ago, RL-inc said:

One thing that came up-  while the toolbar issue is not entirely based on my older video card, there were a few things that he pointed out that could be helped with a new card.

I am a bit surprised to hear that he thought a 1080 was not sufficient for x13 , especially if you don't plan/need to use the RTRT Views,

as my 1070Ti seemed to have no issues with X12. ( I have a 3080 now )

Mick.

The video card issues were more related to short black out screens when closing an elevation view and updating layout -

By short I mean 1-2 seconds.

My concern with that is it may be a precursor to future issues relating to model crashes or contributing to the toolbar problems.

Not that I am looking to spend 500-1000.00 on a new card but with my workload I can't afford any downtime.

-And not a bad time of year to spend a few bucks before i have to pass it on to uncle Sam ;)

10 hours ago, RL-inc said:

The video card issues were more related to short black out screens when closing an elevation view and updating layout -

By short I mean 1-2 seconds.

My concern with that is it may be a precursor to future issues relating to model crashes or contributing to the toolbar problems.

Not that I am looking to spend 500-1000.00 on a new card but with my workload I can't afford any downtime.

-And not a bad time of year to spend a few bucks before i have to pass it on to uncle Sam ;)

Ahhh... this happens even on my 3080 and is mentioned in another thread , I am surprised T.S. is not aware of this Issue.....

you don't need a new card then cos it won't help with that.

Mick

From Taylor at CA tech support

Thanks, Rob – this may very well be something that our developers and Testing departments are aware of, some of them frequent these forums pretty regularly so they may chime in on this as well.  Since it’s not something that grossly affects the program, it’s very likely just not something that’d ever come to my attention.