This cursor is confusing, how do I turn it off?

DIYJon

Go to solution Solved by Dermot,

On the right hand side of my screen, I have 4 options for altering lines, none of which respond to the associated keyboard assignments, incidentally.  I don't know why they're on the right side of the library browser, nor how I managed to get them there, but this fillet tool won't go away, and having this attached to my selection cursor is confusing.  How do I just get a hand or a selection arrow?

74594709_ScreenShot2021-08-05at9_03_58AM.thumb.png.0b5214ac2f84d351b73a42114c3cb3e1.png

5 minutes ago, Dermot said:

You go to the support knowledge base and search for "cursor" to find this article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03143/understanding-persistent-pointer-icons.html

As an Aside Dermot typing Cursor into the new Help system get you no result , neither does "persistent Pointer Icons" , though I am not sure why it is not called a Cursor , as you yourself pointed out rather than a Pointer? Even a search for Pointer Icons doesn't take you straight to it.....but it's there under Input Devices

image.thumb.png.29f614f50af40ee80f9ca365359207e8.png         image.thumb.png.2b407e62a85f3ad6a3379775ced0022f.png  

image.thumb.png.70713063538e9f167335ef16647ec76c.png

Please feel free to report any problems you find in our help system or suggestions for how we can improve it (the same way you would report problems in the actual program).

It's pretty hard to predict all of the keywords people might search for since there can be so many differences between computer and building terminology.  Sometimes the developers use their own terminology and it drives the documentation team crazy. 

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

You go to the support knowledge base and search for "cursor" to find this article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03143/understanding-persistent-pointer-icons.html

Hmm...how did I miss that?  I guess I searched the forum and not the KB.  The resources for this software are amazing.  

Terminology.  Words I think of:  Icon, Legend, Cursor, Tool Icon... but "pointer" wasn't one that I would have thought of...now I will.  Also, ALT, CTRL, etc., don't necessarily translate to a MAC keyboard.

One other thing.  The tools have corresponding keystrokes that are supposed to select them.  They aren't working on my Macbook.

25 minutes ago, DIYJon said:

One other thing.  The tools have corresponding keystrokes that are supposed to select them.  They aren't working on my Macbook.

What you're talking about aren't actually tools.  They're Edit Modes.  You just toggle between which one you want and then you stay in that edit mode until such a time as you change it.  You might have the Wall tool activated but you remain in the same edit mode.  And the keystrokes you see listed are only for temporarily using that particular edit mode, not for switching to it.  For example, try this:

1. Manually select the Default Edit Mode (the icon at your mouse pointer should disappear)
  2. Activate the Rectangular Polyline Tool
  3. Notice that you're still in the Default Edit Mode.  This could be any of the edit modes, but in this case its the Default Edit Mode
  4. Drag out a polyline
  5. Select the polyline and drag one of the corners.  You should get the expected behaviour.
  6. Now undo undo that operation and this time press and hold the F key before dragging the corner node.  This time you should find that you're temporarily using the Filet Edit Mode.

2 hours ago, Dermot said:

Sometimes the developers use their own terminology and it drives the documentation team crazy. 

And the End Users  :)   eg another is why does the Content Team not add common Search Attributes to Objects so the library search works better...

( good job for the Summer Intern :) )

M.

1 hour ago, DIYJon said:

One other thing.  The tools have corresponding keystrokes that are supposed to select them.  They aren't working on my Macbook

Check your HOTKEYS LIST  for macOS .........NOTE ALL answers refer to Chief Premier X13 , not the Home-Designer Line...

so please do your Sig.

image.thumb.png.48a28ea9c0e1942752dfa81cb9beae6f.png