Schedules

mikesbarn

Go to solution Solved by Kiwideziner,

I'm new x13 having moved up from home designer pro. I understand how to edit them but it appears that I cannot put schedules directly onto a layout file only to a plan file or am I missing something. What is the best way to publish just a schedule to the layout?

• Solution

I find it depends on the plan file size, and complexity of the schedule,

If it is a basic schedule say walls I usually place it in the plan, but if it needs to chopped up to fit on the sheet I use cad detail as Mark suggested.

Both ways work. It is really up to the way you work.

I suggest you made a CAD Detail for Each Schedule in your Template Plan, then you will never have to  do it again.....

I am not sure why this is not setup by Default in the Chief Template Plans supplied already

the Wall Legend is about the only one I use "In- Plan"

Mick.

For me it depends ENTIRELY on what I’m doing and I suggest people do what works best for their specific applications and workflow.  Just a few examples:

• If I’m needing to monitor and edit the schedule a lot while drawing—especially when working on a single screen, then the schedule goes right there in the plan view.  This is commonly the case for me when I’m setting up a schedule for a very specific purpose and I need to make sure everything is just right (I do this with cabinet schedules a lot).  I also do this with note schedules quite a bit, particularly if my note schedule is serving as a checklist of sorts.  The schedule doesn’t always stay permanently in the plan view, but sometime it does.  
  • There are certain things I find a lot easier to select and edit through the schedule rather than selecting them in the plan.  I don’t however want to keep moving over to my CAD Detail or to the Project Browser.  So, if it’s something I’m pretty involved with, I’ll put those schedules in the plan view.  Again, this is something I do a lot when drawing up custom cabinetry plans.  I also use this methodology with note schedules quite a bit.
  • If I’m drawing up a specialized detail or a niche set of plans and want the schedule to occupy some part of the actual floor plan, then I find it better to just put those schedules in the plan view.  This is way I can size and position them exactly to fit in the available space.  Doing this in layout requires a lot of unnecessary back and forth.  
  • Schedules that I don’t particularly need to monitor or work with, or that don’t need to be overland onto my plan view make sense to leave in a CAD Detail for sure.
  • Whether or not schedules go into separate CAD Details is mostly just personal preference.  Chief gives us access to the various schedules using the Project Browser, so if quick access is the goal, the extra CAD Details aren’t necessary.  The main benefits to separate CAD Details in my mind are that you don’t have to worry about schedules encroaching into each others’ space and the view is automatically cropped when sending to Layout.  On the other hand, multiple schedules in a single CAD Detail can make it a lot easier to look at the whole picture in one place.  This is particularly true of schedules that are related to each other or otherwise interconnected in some way like windows/doors, plumbing/mechanical/electrical fixtures, interior/exterior furniture, framing/roof planes, etc.