See through materials on trees

CreekMan

Hello all,

I am at my wits end here with my tree materials.  I have transparency on my texture images (png format) for the branches.  When I change the materials on one tree in the foreground, looks fine (before picture).  If I change the material on the tree behind it, the foreground tree becomes see though (after picture).  Thoughts ?  Is there a draw order in 3D view ?  If I ray trace they are fine but don't want to have to ray trace for every concept image.

My plan file is 70MB so cannot upload.

see through trees after.jpg

see through trees before.jpg

3 minutes ago, rlackore said:

I've experienced anomalies with trees and transparency when in standard view, but it resolves in a raytrace. have you tried a raytrace?

18 minutes ago, CreekMan said:

If I ray trace they are fine but don't want to have to ray trace for every concept image.

Tried all three (F5, F12 and rebuild 3d) to no avail unfortunately.  I am wondering if it is something I did in 3ds/sketchup because it is not affecting all the trees, just the ones that have transparency in the texture file.

I’m curious...what happens if you modify those files to replace the transparency with a “green screen” of sorts so you could just use Chief’s transparency slider instead. It might not do anything. I’m not sure.  I’m away from my computer now and can’t remember whether or not Chief’s symbols use images with or without transparency of their own.  

Was worth a shot, the slider just makes the whole texture more transparent instead.  I may just have to live with it as I was probably just trying to get too fancy, lol.  I have attached the texture file though (made in GIMP)

Dawn Redwood_2Dawn redwood Needles 2 copy.png

For reference to all that have run up against this, it must be a program limitation of some sort.  I tried using a chief core fire material that had an alpha channel png for source texture and this was the result.  Green tree on left shows straight through.

fire tree.jpg

19 hours ago, CreekMan said:

Was worth a shot, the slider just makes the whole texture more transparent instead.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were doing the first time around.  I thought you were having problems with a plant image when you were really having problems with a material that you were applying to a 3D plant.  I just read too quick and wasn't comprehending your problem properly.