How to dimension to footings?

SNestor

Is there some possible way to create a detailed footing plan with dimensions? 

Seems footings do not have any snaps...so, it appears the only way to create a footing plan that can be dimensioned is to create a cad detail...then paste that bsck onto the footing plan? 

Am I missing something simple here...or is this our only option?

Using X13 Premier

50 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Is there some possible way to create a detailed footing plan with dimensions? 

Seems footings do not have any snaps...so, it appears the only way to create a footing plan that can be dimensioned is to create a cad detail...then paste that bsck onto the footing plan? 

Am I missing something simple here...or is this our only option?

Using X13 Premier

I had the need to do this about a year ago and found no other way to do it at that time other than turning on footing turn off foundation walls and then place polylines over the footings (did allow me to place different hatches for different types and heights of footings which was a bonus).  Then I was able to dimension to the footings.  But it was not dynamic and also something that I would not normally do for a client but this was for a friend.

I noticed I can add/alter the dimension(I used the auto exterior below) to dimension to the footing but only if the "walls, foundation" is displayed in ALDO. If you do not display it, it does not work as it will not snap. The 3'10 wall below is p2p and not adjusted when the wall is extended (bit that is probably more my ignorance of how to dimension probably), the 11'6 changes if I move the foundation walls, or the 3'10 wall)

image.thumb.png.5a16f38e83dc0a6be2cc56d7c50c64dd.png

1 hour ago, jasonN said:

The 3'10 wall below is p2p and not adjusted when the wall is extended (bit that is probably more my ignorance of how to dimension probably)

p2p is exactly that not snapping to anything but rather going to the point you indicate with your cursor.

12 minutes ago, rgardner said:

p2p is exactly that not snapping to anything but rather going to the point you indicate with your cursor.

it seems to snap to objects... and the dimension changes if I move the wall that I drew the p2p between. see attached video

i thought I read somewhere that if there was an object in the vicinity, it did snap, but if there is nothing, then it goes to wherever you click.

9 minutes ago, jasonN said:

i thought I read somewhere that if there was an object in the vicinity, it did snap, but if there is nothing, then it goes to wherever you click.

You are correct, and if the p2p dim DID snap to something, it will move with the object like any other snapped dim

5 hours ago, solver said:

At first I could not recreate what @solvershows in this video. I messed around with my "manual dimension" settings...and got things to work. I clicked a number of items on/off...so, now I'm not sure which item was the reason I got things to work. I think the item that may have done the trick for me was to click on "Wall Options"..."both wall sides"...and I unchecked "interior walls only". 

Here is a screen shot of my current "manual dimension" settings;

2021-08-02_19-57-14.thumb.png.6961368e7294b4250b4ac47547306189.png

No idea what you’re doing Steve.  You shouldn’t have to mess with the Locate settings at all though. Those should only affect the behavior when dimensions are initially DRAWN.  Your original post makes it sound like you don’t get snaps after the fact either.  This just sounds wrong.  Are you sure you’re not attempting to snap to footing in your reference display?

20 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Are you sure you’re not attempting to snap to footing in your reference display?

Definitely not trying to snap to reference display. As @GeneDavis stated…I have to draw a dimension that snaps to something- then sometimes I can edit that dim and drag it to the footing line to get a dimension. It’s a PIA…

9 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Definitely not trying to snap to reference display. As @GeneDavis stated…I have to draw a dimension that snaps to something- then sometimes I can edit that dim and drag it to the footing line to get a dimension. It’s a PIA…

That just sounds really weird.  I have no problem snapping to the footing and don’t need to futz around with snap settings to do it either.  

8 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I have no problem snapping to the footing and don’t need to futz around with snap settings to do it either.  

Seriously?...You can snap to the footing on the original dimension pull??   We need video proof  
Tape measure tool snaps to all parts of the footing, but dimension tool only snaps to the stemwall on the original pull... need to manually move it to the footing after placement.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Seriously?...You can snap to the footing on the original dimension pull??   We need video proof  
Tape measure tool snaps to all parts of the footing, but dimension tool only snaps to the stemwall on the original pull... need to manually move it to the footing after placement.

I never claimed that.  That’s not what we’re talking about though.  The conversation has kinda shifted  bit.  That was the whole point of my second to last post.  I believe Steve was originally saying he couldn’t snap to footings AT ALL.  I was just saying snap settings shouldn’t have anything to do with that and that there must be something else going on.  

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

That just sounds really weird.  I have no problem snapping to the footing and don’t need to futz around with snap settings to do it either.  

I'm on a MAC...maybe there's a difference? Not sure...

9 hours ago, SNestor said:

I'm on a MAC...maybe there's a difference? Not sure...

I'm on Mac too and I find that if the layer "Walls, Foundation" is on, you can snap manual dimensions to the footings. When I'm done, I just turn off "Walls, Foundation", and have the result I want. 

2 hours ago, SNestor said:

@DG1949 - watch the attached loom video...let me know if this is the same experience you have with your MAC.

Snapping Dimensions to footings - Example 21-0804 - Watch Video

0566e4feb5c940f2a0e445e05950443b-with-play.gif

It seems like you moved the goalpost a little.  In your original post you said....

On 8/2/2021 at 5:57 AM, SNestor said:

What you show in the video is what I get on my Windows machine as well.  Footings do have snaps,  and you don’t need to use a CAD Detail to dimension them.  You just have to drag out new segments or move nodes after initial placement is all.  I think you should send in a suggestion that footings be added to the Locate settings if this is something you really need.

29 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It seems like you moved the goalpost a little.  In your original post you said....

Hmmm?... Did the goalpost move?  I read Steve's post (goalpost?) with the emphasis on FOOTING.  If he said FOUNDATION, then he'd of moved the goalpost..

11 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Hmmm?... Did the goalpost move?

I think so.  Yes.  Read the post again.  It clearly communicated that he couldn't get dimensions to snap to footings at all and that switching to a CAD Detail was the only solution.  Steve even went on to further highlight this notion in a followup post when he said...

On 8/2/2021 at 4:00 PM, SNestor said:

At first I could not recreate what @solvershows in this video. I messed around with my "manual dimension" settings...and got things to work.

Bottom line though is this:

Do footings have snaps?  Yes

Is a CAD Detail the only way we can dimension them?  No

Do Locate settings have any effect on the current behavior?  No

We can drag nodes after the fact as has been mentioned, we can use Point To Point Dimensions as has been mentioned (to effectively replace End to End Dimensions), and Locate settings have no effect on either of these operations.  The only thing we can't do is use a running type dimension string like Manual Dimensions.  

On 8/2/2021 at 12:31 PM, Chrisb222 said:

You are correct, and if the p2p dim DID snap to something, it will move with the object like any other snapped dim

To be perfectly clear, Point to Point Dimensions will recognize and snap to footings running parallel to the wall, they just won't snap to or recognize the perpendicular footing lines that extend BEYOND the wall. 

3 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

To be perfectly clear, Point to Point Dimensions will recognize and snap to footings running parallel to the wall, they just won't snap to or recognize the perpendicular footing lines that extend BEYOND the wall. 

that explains why I could not get my p2p to snap on my 3'10 footing above.

seems like a bit of a bug to me, or at least it should be documented as such. I will log it with CA

• Upvote 1

Thanks all for the helpful info...

Dimensioning footings is not something I need on a regular basis...in fact almost never. Hardly worth the effort really.  But - it's nice to know there are methods to accomplish this if needed.

• Upvote 1