Copy and paste an entire building

THBlack

Using CA 12.

I'm a new-bee.

Made a three-story building with doors, windows, stairs. Have some stone slabs inside for 'furniture.'

Would like to copy the entire shebang and past the copy somewhere else in the plan. Placement needs to be done with precision to fit exactly where it needs to go. Can mark out the area with lines.

Can this be done. What's the best and easiest way? Will I be able to tweak the parts once it's set down?

Thanxabunch.

Tzvi Black

• 7 months later...

Wendy:

PRO users can benefit from following the Chieftalk forum

just understand that Premier has features that don't apply to PRO

if you ask questions on Hometalk be sure to mention that you have PRO

so someone trying to help doesn't waste time if the solution won't work with PRO

PRO has many of the manual tools that Premier does and can use some symbols created by Premier users

Lew

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/28/2021 at 10:31 PM, glennw said:

You did say copy, so...

what Chop said plus Copy and Point To Point Move

Glenn,

This seems to not work now, and I found this thread, so lighting it back up.

I tried Edit -> Edit Area -> Edit Area (All Floors)

Verified that was checked

Select the entire building (from Floor 1)

Drag to move it to a different place. Drop.

Floor 2 is still in the same place.

I tried the same to select, copy, paste on another plan. Still it ONLY seems to copy the floor which the select and copy is done from, in this case Floor 1.

Chief x14, Build 24.2.2.1 on macOS Intel

I am totally positive that this worked just a few weeks ago before the last update.

Try this if a symbol works for you:

Get a Full Camera on the building. Tweak (Check / Uncheck) the items on the Active Layer Display until whatever you you want is in that Layer Set view.

Click Menu / Edit / Select All

Click Menu / Tools / Symbol / Convert to Symbol

Have a project that uses multiple buildings. Wasn't working well for me, so I started making buildings on separate plans and then inserting them back into the master plan as symbols.

Wasn't very happy about doing this but it worked. Reason wasn't happy was because when I made walls for new buildings on the master plan, sometimes the walls broke by themselves. Would make them longer and always broke at the same place. Drove me nuts. Thought that the plan was corrupted or there was a bug in CA.

Then . . . 

Turned on Invisible Walls in the Active Layer View and saw that I had a BUNCH of ROOM DIVIDERS all over the place. Found that walls broke whenever I'd extend a wall past a room divider.

Have no idea where these room dividers came from. Is this some 'feature' in CA?

- I'm still using V12. Have SA but am hesitant to upgrade because my computer is not a powerhouse and don't know what higher versions would do to my project.

There is always more than one way to solve a problem.

If I was designing something like a small subdivision, I would probably keep each house in a separate plan and then build symbols out of them for the main model.  I would also make sure each symbol had the fewest surfaces I could get to only show the details I needed.

If I was designing something like a duplex or quad, I would probably keep everything all in one plan.

If I was designing something like an assisted living facility with multiple units in multiple buildings, I might use both methods.

Have no idea where these room dividers came from. Is this some 'feature' in CA?

Maybe.  The program will automatically create room divider walls to connect "island" rooms.  If you do a search for "island room", you will find more information.  Or, you can post your plan (or at least a picture of it) and you might get a better guess.

I'm still using V12. Have SA but am hesitant to upgrade because my computer is not a powerhouse and don't know what higher versions would do to my project.

If you still have SSA, you could just install X14 and try it.  If you have problems, then you don't have to actually use it.  Even better, if you find problems you could always report them to tech support and maybe they could even fix them in an update.  Just make sure you keep a backup of the original plans because once you save a plan in a newer version you won't be able to open it back up in X12.