AMD DRIVER ISSUE

winterdd

Go to solution Solved by winterdd,

I have kept delaying posting this issue for weeks but now It's getting irritating. If you have seen my posts for the past 2.5 years you know I speak highly of this software. But X13 is costing me time. X11 & X12 were flawless. Now, I find myself losing work several times a day from all the crashing. If I need a new computer (in sig) to run this let me know because time is money. This just will not work and is unacceptable. All my drivers are up to date and this whole new rendering thing they say is different isn't the best and it's not just the rendering causing the crashes. Has anyone else experienced this? I want to go back to X12 but all 7 of my projects are currently in X13.

image.thumb.png.88fc0cbb52d666037395e3ed78e0bd44.png

Running it 10+ hours/day since it came out. Not a single crash for me. Rendering issues but nothing that stops me from using it. I would say CA has been the most stable software I've used in a long time.

AMD used to kill my productivity. Nvidia only from now on. That being said, X13 does crash a lot even after spending a $#!+ ton on a new computer. My take: X13 has some great features...but it's expensive!

8 hours ago, robdyck said:

AMD used to kill my productivity. Nvidia only from now on.

Funny I am running a 5 year old pro Apple machine with dual AMD video cards.  They aren't super fast with x13 (definitely doable for what I do), but I just do not have any issues with x13 with them.  Other than not being able to use the RTRT function I have had x13 be very stable for me.

I thought I'd try an AMD CPU for my latest build and could not be happier with the machine in my signature. Not saying one brand is better than the other and this isn't the only thread with computer problems so most likely very isolated to the OP's particular setup. Not much help I'm afraid and hope you get it fixed.

Can we assume you've talked with tech support?

I have always used AMD PC's (My laptop is an Intel machine). I have had one or two crashes with NOTING lost thereby because I manually save every few seconds as I work. This is on my new computer I had locally built and I attribute those crashes to a weak spot on my new PC that I have not yet found. The crashes seem to be random in nature and  not connected to Chief, any version.

DJP

On 7/28/2021 at 7:21 PM, ChiefUserBigRob said:

image.png.e7384ec74c2531514e6aca6cb7b97414.png

I've seen this bug report a few times. I bought a new AMD graphics card to be able to run X13. Knock on wood, X13 has never crashed on me (in the whole month I've had it). 

We have both Intel and AMD machines.  X13 noticeably runs slower on both machines than X12.  X13 on the Intel machine crashes periodically when just working on a plan by itself and more often when the layout is open on one of the other monitors.  The crashes are not exactly reproducible but always occur when sending or updating elevations or camera views with shadows turn on to layout.  The program hangs for about 20 seconds and either recovers or crashes.  On reopening the files it only looses back to the last saved point. Save Often.

I have not tested sending elevations to layout on the AMD machine.  It is a much sportier machine.

• Solution

Hello guys, I'm back in town and reading these replies. So, it turns out, my issue was the driver. I posted the thread on 7/28/21 and with SSA on the phone we looked at the AMD site and they had just released another update on 7/27/21. I had to turn off a setting in windows to allow the new driver update and what do you know, problem solved. Vector views are crisp and sharp and standard view doesn't have all these colored lines shooting everywhere.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, nowlanddesign said:

Hey Rob, 

I am having a similar issue.  Can you tell me what setting you had to turn off in Windows?  Thanks

It has been a little while but I remember the path to the setting to turn off was given by AMD when the upgrade failed. Rerun the upgrade and if you get the error again it will tell you. 

2 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

It has been a little while but I remember the path to the setting to turn off was given by AMD when the upgrade failed. Rerun the upgrade and if you get the error again it will tell you. 

Hey rob, just a suggestion/request. Mind changing the thread title to something about AMD driver issue crashing etc. Easier to find and reference. Then mark your solution and it will help a lot of folks!

• Upvote 1

• winterdd changed the title to AMD DRIVER ISSUE