Select all objects in layer(s)

grubba

Unfortunately, Chief doesn't have a dedicated tool or process for this operation.  You can however make one for yourself. For example, one thing I commonly do is use the All Off Layer Set for things like this....

1. Select your desired layers in Active Layer Display Options.  This can be done before or after switching to the All Off Layer Set.
  2. With the layers still selected, switch to the All Off Layer Set.  If you're already there, skip this step.
  3. With the layers still selected, check Display using the Layer Properties edit tools.  This assumes you have those tools activated; otherwise, you'll have to turn those tools on first.
  4. Select All (Control+A) or draw a marquee around everything.
  5. With objects still selected, switch back to you desired layer set and Move as desired. 
  6. At some point, remember to go back and reset your All Off Layer Set so that all layers are turned off.

NOTE:  You can also take this one step further and create an "All Layers On and LOCKED" layer set and do the same thing.  This main difference is that you use the lock toggle instead of the display toggle.  This approach has 2 advantages in that it will allow you to select objects like windows and doors that will not display if the wall layer is turned off, and it will also allow you to see other objects and use various snaps without even switching layer sets. Again, you just have to remember to re-lock all the layers when you're done so that its ready for you next time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

NOTE:  You can also take this one step further and create an "All Layers On and LOCKED" layer set and do the same thing.  This main difference is that you use the lock toggle instead of the display toggle.  This approach has 2 advantages in that it will allow you to select objects like windows and doors that will not display if the wall layer is turned off, and it will also allow you to see other objects and use various snaps without even switching layer sets. Again, you just have to remember to re-lock all the layers when you're done so that its ready for you next time.

Great alternative!  Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Nevermind, I figured it out. I was skipping step 4 racking my brain trying to find that tool in step 3. I think the steps are too wordy for my simple brain and for what I was trying to accomplish. I accidently figured out a quicker way to select only doors or windows (which was my particular use case) while playing around. In case others need what I was looking to do...

In Layer Display Options....

1. Switch Layer Set to All Layers OFF
  2. Check the box to View Walls
  3. Check the box to Lock Walls (this makes walls un-selectable)
  4. Check the box to View Doors or Windows (Do not lock!)
  5. Now drag cursor or ctrl-A to select the doors or windows.
  6. Edit, Move or Delete or whatever you need to do..
  7. Viola! Unlock and uncheck walls and doors/windows and go back to Working Plan View

Thanks for the guide that set me on the right course! 

Capture.PNG

Another and quicker way:

Select the door icon, then shift select all the doors.  Make your changes.  If you need some doors out of the selection, you can control select each individually.  For windows, select the window icon.  You are now in window mode.  Shift select all the windows.

You can use this same selection method with any icon tool (cabinets, electrical, roofs, windows and doors, etc).  Getting into the desired mode basically creates a filtered selection for that mode alone.

• Upvote 1

On 10/9/2021 at 12:48 PM, Ebb001 said:

Nevermind, I figured it out. I was skipping step 4 racking my brain trying to find that tool in step 3. I think the steps are too wordy for my simple brain and for what I was trying to accomplish. I accidently figured out a quicker way to select only doors or windows (which was my particular use case) while playing around. In case others need what I was looking to do...

7. Viola! Unlock and uncheck walls and doors/windows and go back to Working Plan View

Thanks for the guide that set me on the right course! 

Capture.PNG

You’re welcome, but with all due respect, your way is actually slower and requires extra steps to reset your “All Off” Layer Set.  Also, I don’t believe my instructions were too wordy.  I tried to keep it as minimal as possible.  In fact, they’re so minimal that you are unlikely to make it work at all unless you invest the time and energy in fully reading and comprehending each and every step.  In particular, read the Note: at the end of my post.  If you really want to make the process quick and efficient, creating the extra layer set is key.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 10/10/2021 at 5:07 AM, MoeGia said:

Another and quicker way:

Select the door icon, then shift select all the doors.  Make your changes.  If you need some doors out of the selection, you can control select each individually.  For windows, select the window icon.  You are now in window mode.  Shift select all the windows.

You can use this same selection method with any icon tool (cabinets, electrical, roofs, windows and doors, etc).  Getting into the desired mode basically creates a filtered selection for that mode alone.

to be clear, the process you are describing (although  undoubtedly useful) is a different process with different functionality.  The OP is very specifically referring to selecting objects on a specific layer.  For example we might have a “Windows, Existing”, a “Windows, Demo”, and a “Windows, New” layer.  Simply switching to the window tool won’t do us much good in those circumstances.  The same can be said of walls, doors, roof planes, annotation objects, etc. etc.  To select all objects on any given layer, I’m not sure there’s a much quicker methodology than the one I listed above unless we were to start moving the goalpost around a little bit.   

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2021 at 4:48 PM, Ebb001 said:

This works but it is a PITA - when your model gets larger it takes a minute to have everything cycle off, then you have to do the selecting, etc etc. it's typical Chief because it takes seven steps to do what should be a keystroke or single click.

EDIT: I would respectfully add that this feature which is requested, to me, seems like it gets to basic functionality and user interface design. This is not the only issue, only the 'canary in the coal mine' - and speaks to a deeper requirement of updating the User Interface. Now that the stability and rendering are there, in my humble opinion if the interface could be upgraded I think Chief could compete with the big guys. But right now new people and prospective chief users open up the program and think 'what decade am I in' and they run the other direction - not knowing that under the hood is a LS1 running 24lb boost, it's just hidden inside an old fox-body mustang

• Upvote 1