Cabinet Defaults

norryboy

Has anyone else experienced cabinet reveals changing from X12 to X13? I have attached images from an identical plan that was created in X12 from a cabinet library I created. The X12 shows as I would expect. X13 shows as expected as well. The difference starts when inserting cabinets from the library I created into X13.

Chief has changed/added some default settings. The overlays in X12 are in the Box Construction section of the defaults. The overlays in X13 are in the Drawer Face Item Specification.

The cabinet in X13 had the overlay changed form the default 3/4" from X12 to 1/16" when inserted into X13. I'm guessing it's because the overlay defaults have been moved to the Drawer/Door face item specification.

I really don't want to have to redo the entire cabinet library as there are hundreds of them. The reason the library was created is due to our cabinet supplier having specific cabinet callouts.

Thank you for any help.

X12 Kitchen.png

X13 Kitchen.png

X12 Construction Defaults.png

X13 Construction Defaults.png

X12 Drawer Face Item Specification.png

X13 Drawer Face Item Specification.png

3 hours ago, norryboy said:

I really don't want to have to redo the entire cabinet library as there are hundreds of them.

Had a look. There are three primary problems all related to using traditional overlay. I missed this during the beta as I have not done a traditional overlay kitchen since Moses parted the Red Sea ;). In any case

1. Chief does not import the "use default" for Traditional Overlay, Overlap. along with your library-it is correct in 12
  2. there is only one overlap setting for traditional overlay
  3. that leads to the third problem in that your library cabinets do not use the default reveal vertically between the door and the drawer (even having a correct cabinet set to default) I suspect that is unavoidable since without having two setting for overlap-vertical and horizontal.
  4. I find it very odd that the cabinets appear ok in the plan brought over but not the library?

A few things though as you say you have hundreds. I normally don't make a library symbol for every different size since that is slower than resizing IMO- you would need to change the label to a very simple macro to get double door bases to read automatically.

I also include a lot more information in library cabinets than you have and rely heavily on defaults.

I was already in the process of redoing library cabinets before X13 came along (mostly my clients nowadays since I'm no longer a kitchen) but was waiting for final release. I am not changing them to cabinets in the library though. I'm changing my cabinet brand libraries to be almost entirely Style Palettes. It's worth a look as it is more versatile and IMO faster.

To your current predicament- I tested out a Style Palette that will solve the issue in your current plan if you have used the library cabinets you brought over. Attaching that here as a library.

Alas you can't paint library cabinets with a style palette but as far as I can tell it works on your library cabinets ONCE the defaults are set properly in the plan. May save you some time.

Note that IF your maker has specific and varied reveals for full overlay cabinets (B1D? Wood-Mode?) you will find the changes in X13 far better than using a traditional to hack those.

SP test base.zip

2 hours ago, norryboy said:

I think I might have to put in a ticket to Chief.

You should do this. If it isn't a bug tech support will be able to help you solve your problem, if it is a bug they can log it for a developer to fix.

26 minutes ago, MarkMc said:
  • Chief does not import the "use default" for Traditional Overlay, Overlap. along with your library-it is correct in 12
  • there is only one overlap setting for traditional overlay
  • that leads to the third problem in that your library cabinets do not use the default reveal vertically between the door and the drawer (even having a correct cabinet set to default) I suspect that is unavoidable since without having two setting for overlap-vertical and horizontal.
  • I find it very odd that the cabinets appear ok in the plan brought over but not the library?

When bringing an pre-X13 cabinet to X13 you should see the following behavior. If this is not what is happening it is probably a bug.

1. All face item overlaps are initially set to "Use Default"

2. The cabinet overlap (Construction Panel) is set to the pre-X13 horizontal overlap (could be "Use Default").

3. If the pre-X13 vertical overlap is not the same as the pre-X13 horizontal overlap (comparison is done after evaluating "Use Default")

- The top and bottom overlaps of each face item are set to the value of the pre-X13 vertical overlap (will never be "Use Default").

6 minutes ago, JacobB said:

1. All face item overlaps are initially set to "Use Default"

That is what happens with the cabinets in plan, it is not what is happening with his cabinets in library. This appears to only apply to traditional overlay cabinets (which is why not picked up in Beta)-newly imported library base cabinet.

image.thumb.png.2f93e5b50b78029ba4b23a56ff4fe168.png

Same item newly imported into X12 library

image.thumb.png.9519535993ea99704993e13e274455b1.png

As to the others the problem is with library content, the plan is just fine as are items added to it using the build menu. BUT dragging one of his cabinets from the library do NOT use the defaults for overlap. I believe the OP is sending in a ticket but feel free to download his plan and library to try it out. 

• 1 month later...