Residential remodelers and designers, can you print bid sets on 11x17, or bigger?

sr5844wp

2 hours ago, sr5844wp said:

The few small firms that I worked for both used 11x17 to print bid sets for the city. 

Is that typical around the country? Or should we switch to ARCH C and D?

I use ANSI D specifically so that I can print half scale at 11x17 with my preferences intact

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

I use ANSI D specifically so that I can print half scale at 11x17 with my preferences intact

For larger projects, I typically use Arch D (24x36) for the exact same reason...so I can print half scale on Arch B (12x18).  Depending on the project though, sometimes I can even get away with 8-1/2x11 layouts.  It totally depends on the project around here.  It's less about the size of the paper and more about making sure the text is the required height and that all the required information is on there.

• Upvote 1

11 x 17 is pretty common here, but the smallest printed word or dimension has to be 3/32".  Many towns here accept any size you want to give them down to 11x17.  Since our average submisison is around 25 sheets on 24x36 Arch D, that gets to be a lot on 11x17, but we don't make the rules.  Some towns are now also requiring electronic submissions, either as the sole way to submit or in addition to the paper plans.
Regardless of the sheet size, I use 3/32" for dimensions and notes.  Some slightly larger for headers but nothing less.

• Upvote 1

it's all electronic here, but 11x17 is the minimum size.

I remember the City guy here used to get his scale ruler out to check dimensions for bylaw. My guess is they probably have some electronic tool to do it now.

I save to 24x36 PDF, it they want to print to some other scale, they should know that they can no longer use the ruler (electronic or otherwise). 

My guess is not even the framer uses a scale  ruler anymore, but that is just a guess, I might just ask one next time

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jasonN said:

My guess is not even the framer uses a scale  ruler anymore, but that is just a guess

Nah, who needs it! Just whip out my trusty Stanley or Lufkin tape measure and "guesstimate it!" That's why they call it "rough framing!":)

• Upvote 1

I set up most all drawings on 24"x36" and send those out to be printed but my office oversized printer/ photo printer will print up to 13"x19" so when I print on 12"x18" sheets for check sets they are printed at 1/8" scale.  Its much better than having prints not to scale.  Its just 12x18 is not a paper you find  in stores  much so I order online.  Heres a a link . https://www.officesupply.com/office-supplies/paper-pads/printer-paper/wide-format-paper/hammermill-copy-paper-brightness-photo-white-sheets-ream/p60910.html?q=12 x 18 copy paper

• Upvote 1