Crash on printing to PDF

AmandaBrady

Hi All, 

We are experience a fairly frustrating situation, and after exhausting the avenues I know of, I'm coming here for help. 

- We have a 34 page layout file, consisting of floor plans, elevations, 3D perspectives, and schedules. 

- All elevation and 3D cameras are set to update on demand

- File has printed perfectly fine in the past, up until adding in the schedules. 

When we go to print, the print dialogue box opens. Upon trying to load all of the pages for preview, it gets to page 30 and crashes. We can't stop the "automatic preview" button because if we hit cancel, it also crashes. We can't choose any other printer option because again, it can't get past the loading of all of the pages. 

I've purged the files, did a windows update, and tried printing on the other computers in our office. We're running robust new systems with 3090 cards, drivers up to date. 

Any insights here that could be helpful? We have a looming deadline and I'd really like to be able to get this thing off the printer! 

It won't let me attach the layout file here, says the size is too large.

Also, we are running x13

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by AmandaBrady

6 minutes ago, AmandaBrady said:

We can't stop the "automatic preview" button because if we hit cancel, it also crashes.

One thing to try is to turn the automatic preview off by default.  Open another file and unselect it and save.

Amanda,

Open Preferences and on the Render Panel check the option under Troubleshooting called Manage GPU Residency.   This should hopefully allow you to print the entire layout. If not please contact Technical Support with the plan and layout file and we can look into it further.

Thanks

19 minutes ago, BrianBeck said:

Amanda,

Open Preferences and on the Render Panel check the option under Troubleshooting called Manage GPU Residency.   This should hopefully allow you to print the entire layout. If not please contact Technical Support with the plan and layout file and we can look into it further.

Thanks

Thanks Brian, we will try that and see if we can get that to work. 

42 minutes ago, rgardner said:

One thing to try is to turn the automatic preview off by default.  Open another file and unselect it and save.

Thanks for that tip - we were able to at least get it to export to a pdf in half the pages at a time. So an improvement for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 7/22/2021 at 1:44 PM, AmandaBrady said:

Hi All, 

We are experience a fairly frustrating situation, and after exhausting the avenues I know of, I'm coming here for help. 

- We have a 34 page layout file, consisting of floor plans, elevations, 3D perspectives, and schedules. 

- All elevation and 3D cameras are set to update on demand

- File has printed perfectly fine in the past, up until adding in the schedules. 

When we go to print, the print dialogue box opens. Upon trying to load all of the pages for preview, it gets to page 30 and crashes. We can't stop the "automatic preview" button because if we hit cancel, it also crashes. We can't choose any other printer option because again, it can't get past the loading of all of the pages. 

I've purged the files, did a windows update, and tried printing on the other computers in our office. We're running robust new systems with 3090 cards, drivers up to date. 

Any insights here that could be helpful? We have a looming deadline and I'd really like to be able to get this thing off the printer! 

It won't let me attach the layout file here, says the size is too large.

Also, we are running x13

Thanks in advance. 

Are you still having this issue or was it ever resolved? I'm experiencing the same thing with every semi-large layout file - ready to rip my hair out. 

Tried both suggestions above to no avail. 

1 hour ago, sea_lyons said:

That's the one I'm using. 

When this happens I try using "Open System Print Dialogue" at the bottom left of the Print Dialogue box.

Then I chose "save as pdf" (on a Mac, but there should be a similar option on a PC?)

This uses the system print to pdf feature instead of Chief's pdf printer.

On 2/29/2024 at 10:32 AM, Michael_Gia said:

When this happens I try using "Open System Print Dialogue" at the bottom left of the Print Dialogue box.

Then I chose "save as pdf" (on a Mac, but there should be a similar option on a PC?)

This uses the system print to pdf feature instead of Chief's pdf printer.

That option is greyed out on my dialog box.

image.thumb.png.6726697cd676eeca91ba4be63dd7a2d7.png