text file export for survey equipment.

marklcc

Does anyone  know how to export terrain data, ie a point file, CSV or TXT, so I can load the data into my total station?

I have a drawing with terrain elevation points at  property corners, building corners, etc.

Thanks

Not sure exactly what Chop is doing, but I developed a very simple to use, tried and true method for this a while back very specifically for use with Total Stations.  ImThe required 2D point data can literally be placed, compiled, and exported in about the same time it took me to type up this response.  It just requires a small starter kit and some basic instructions.  
https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/25158-importing-points-into-a-ascii-format-for-total-station/?do=findComment&comment=202515

Does anyone know what the text macro is for the Z: Position on the Note specification box?

image.thumb.png.ad5af5f6817bd028583b8c6245ab49d5.png

you can use %x_position% for X

and %y_position% for Y

But this doesn't work for Z, I tried %elevationf% used in the Elevation Point specification box.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, marklcc said:

Does anyone know what the text macro is for the Z: Position on the Note specification box?

I think the most specific you can get with a note in regards to elevation is the floor number.  Unless you want to enter it manually into the note.

45 minutes ago, marklcc said:

There isn't one.  Are you certain you need it for what you're doing anyway? Its not always necessary that the Z data be imported into your Total Station.  I guess it depends on what you're doing with it though.

P.S.  I do have a method for automating the Z data output as well. 

On 7/22/2021 at 9:35 AM, marklcc said:

I have a drawing with terrain elevation points at  property corners, building corners, etc.

You have me curious, especially after reading your suggestion...

1.  If you’re using AutoCAD and it’s super easy in AutoCAD for you, can you possibly just export from Chief to AutoCAD and then export point data from AutoCAD.  There’s nothing wrong with using supplemental software if it gets the job done quicker and easier.  

2.  How are you placing your elevation points in Chief?  One of the main challenges is actually that Chief doesn’t supply us with a tool intended to measure point data in the first place.  There are workarounds using available methods, but nothing specifically designed for the purpose.  We can DEFINE elevation with points, but that’s really a different thing.  If you’re defining points, my suggestion would be to just copy and paste your defining data into a table as you’re defining it instead of trying to compile and export it after the fact.