Sneak Peak Into Chief X7 - Posted On Facebook

HumbleChief

I agree that looks nice - but part of me was hoping for a new GUI overall.  Most cad apps are getting away from entering dialog boxes and extra windows to speed-up processes.  Its curious why CA seems to be embracing the old. 

I hate to be the negative-nancy here, but this app needs a GUI over-haul to bring it into the current century.

• Upvote 1

Johnny - How are the new software programs accomplishing it? ANy links to show what you are talking about?

Here is a screenshot of VW.  Notice the tool-pallets on the right...those change depending on my selection of objects.  In fact, I can change nearly anything without entering a single dialog box.  That saves a ton of time.

screen_vw.jpg

I think He is referring to what is called a "ribbon" Autocad and Revit have it

Yeah, Revit and Autocad have it too - heck, MOST apps now have either/or both combination ribbon or floating or dock-able tool-pallets that take the place of dialog boxes.  Typically the information changes real-time as you select an object.  Here is a screen shot of Revit.

RST_Multi_Material_Modeling_1024x786.jpg

Funny how many revit forum posts complain about the ribbon interface. Always something to ***** about no matter what you do.

I am so glad Chief Kitchen Designer is getting another cabinet tool. Not what I am looking for. (See previous sentence about complainers).....

Still happy to cough up cheap ssa money to Chief vrs ADesk's yearly rip off......

Eric

• Upvote 1

Funny how many revit forum posts complain about the ribbon interface. Always something to ***** about no matter what you do.

I am so glad Chief Kitchen Designer is getting another cabinet tool. Not what I am looking for. (See previous sentence about complainers).....

Still happy to cough up cheap ssa money to Chief vrs ADesk's yearly rip off......

Eric

My focus wasn't necessarily the ribbon - but eliminating so much the need to enter a dialog box to change nearly any data for an object.  I can't think of an app I used regularly post Y2K that requires dialogs to pop-up for nearly all aspects of its function.  CA doesn't even allow changing line thickness/color without entering into a dialog box and tabbing to another section of the dialog box to then enter the data.  If that isn't archaic I dont know what is.

CA operation to change line thickness:

1. Double Click Line.

2. Enter Dialog Box.

3. Click Tab Below for line properties.

4. Select Line Thickness text.*

5. Change Text to new line thickness.

6. Click "OK" (enter).

Vectorworks operation to change line thickness:

1. Select line options on menu. (click hold)

2. Scroll to line thickness desired. (release same mouse click above)

*Note: I know many people have layers setup so they select the layer properties in place - still an operation, and may even need scrolling.

Vectorworks doesn't have a "ribbon" but it does contain some data fields in the upper section as well.

The ribbon interface is one thing, I think I read somewhere that it was created by Microsoft in order to facilitate the pen interface of tablet computers when Gates first introduced it, and primarily visual.

Modal properties however is crucial, all modern tools have it like 3ds Max, Revit, etc. One other exception is actually Archicad that also still struggle with them!   :) 

In Vectorworks I just select a line or other cad item (click) go to the ever present attributes tool (upper left in Johnny's screen shot) and select line type, weight, arrows, colour, fill, hatch, etc.. If you are doing a bunch of the same lines, rectangles, polygons, etc. you just change the attribute selections with nothing selected and then draw as many cad items as you want with these attributes. After, you just return all the attributes to the class (layer in Chief) defaults and continue drawing. Opening the selected item data box and scrolling to do these changes is tremendously time consuming. I am hoping the speed of 3D modelling and (also hopefully) Joey's construction drawing techniques will offset this.

Plan Areas can also be quickly calculated by using the polygon tool to group select and draw a poly around the selected exterior walls. Takes about the time to rough in a circle. So simple and all of the info is immediately displayed in the object info box on the side. Nothing to open each time.

In Vectorworks I just select a line or other cad item (click) go to the ever present attributes tool (upper left in Johnny's screen shot) and select line type, weight, arrows, colour, fill, hatch, etc.. If you are doing a bunch of the same lines, rectangles, polygons, etc. you just change the attribute selections with nothing selected and then draw as many cad items as you want with these attributes. After, you just return all the attributes to the class (layer in Chief) defaults and continue drawing. Opening the selected item data box and scrolling to do these changes is tremendously time consuming.

I think we get so used to doing things one way we forget there's a brave new world out there. I would LOVE the ability to select a line and have all the attributes right there for the changing instead of diving into dbx after tab after dbx.

I agree that a modeless interface is better. It isn't particularly easy to retrofit in Chief, although it is easier to do now than it was before we released X6. The importance of this is a question to ask. Is it more important than fixing stairs or live updates to layouts or making framing work better? It is a question we have to answer and so far the answer seems to be that other things are more important. But I could be wrong.

To me the ease of which all tasks can be accomplished should take top priority. It forms the very basis and foundation of the program and will have a cascading, beneficial effect on all other features. If that looks like a modeless interface then so be it, but if it looks like a better idea that your team comes up with then even better. So to me ease of use is priority one.

Scouring the videos for signs of exciting new buttons to push for architects I see none.

Looks like x7 is the year of the kitchen designer.

See you next year.....

If I were a developer at CA I would be VERY, VERY curious about what this customer is looking for. Curious enough to contact them personally and see what, as an architect, they are looking for then implement something that gets them closer to becoming or retaining them as a customer.