Sneak Peak Into Chief X7 - Posted On Facebook

HumbleChief

Modeless interfaces are important. I don't want to overstate how much gain you would get, which is less than what most would think. One must consider everything when estimating how much you would save.

Consider how one would provide 3D previews of objects as we do now. The cost of keeping a 3D view of an object up to date all the time would add up.

Also consider the cost of populating a dialog. The expense of the time required to open a dialog currently would be paid every time one selects a new object even if you didn't need it. While this is small, usually less than 1 second, the time adds up and could, if not done very well, lead to an overall additional sluggishness of the program.

If one is to provide the sometimes dozens of input fields that our objects have then you are still going to pay the price of a click to switch panels or to scroll to the location where the setting you want to change is located.

For something very simple like a line one could put everything on the same panel.

We already provide some modeless interfaces. Such as tool buttons that effect changes to an object, like the center tool and the ability to enter dimensions.

To be clear, I am in favor of adding modeless interfaces. Look for more to be added into the program as we move forward.

• Upvote 1

Can't believe they haven't addressed the GUI in this upgrade--very disappointing, it's old, cumbersome and a carpal tunnel nightmare.  I think most of us would jump ship if a similar program came along with a ribbon GUI.  Jumping in and out of windows and tabs to accomplish a simple task is absurd and anyone who thinks not is uninformed or a luddite. 

Stairs are also ridiculous compared to all the competition.  

Framing I find more easily accomplished with an arrow that says 2x12 goes this way, as architects have been doing forever.  

Better Terrain tools anyone?

Can't believe they haven't addressed the GUI in this upgrade--very disappointing, it's old, cumbersome and a carpal tunnel nightmare.  I think most of us would jump ship if a similar program came along with a ribbon GUI.  Jumping in and out of windows and tabs to accomplish a simple task is absurd and anyone who thinks not is uninformed or a luddite. 

Stairs are also ridiculous compared to all the competition.  

Framing I find more easily accomplished with an arrow that says 2x12 goes this way, as architects have been doing forever.  

Better Terrain tools anyone?

Zowie,

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think

I switched from Revit to CA a few months ago. All I keep thinking is how I overlooked CA for so long.

Revit looks like a Ferrari on the outside, but it is just torn vinyl seats with a towel on the inside.

Roof tools are laughable.

Custom cabinets? Good luck! 

Custom stairs? Brick ledges? Roof flares? Frieze boards? Buckle up. 

Find me one Revit user who loves the family editor! Took me hours to learn how to make a window with adjustable divided lights.

File sizes get so huge with every added family which translates to sluggish usage.

There's more but my psychiatrist advised me not to dwell on negative thoughts...

I did like the align tool in Revit. And the dimension tools worked well.

• Upvote 1

I switched from Revit to CA a few months ago. All I keep thinking is how I overlooked CA for so long.

Revit looks like a Ferrari on the outside, but it is just torn vinyl seats with a towel on the inside.

Roof tools are laughable.

Custom cabinets? Good luck! 

Custom stairs? Brick ledges? Roof flares? Frieze boards? Buckle up. 

Find me one Revit user who loves the family editor! Took me hours to learn how to make a window with adjustable divided lights.

File sizes get so huge with every added family which translates to sluggish usage.

There's more but my psychiatrist advised me not to dwell on negative thoughts...

I did like the align tool in Revit. And the dimension tools worked well.

Thanks for the info.  I pretty much came to the same conclusion myself.  But, the emporer is still holding court, and will be for some time to come unless someone happens to point out the obvious.

From what I can tell, most of the high end architectural modeling programs are mostly adding GUI features that have been around in the high end CAD world since the early 1990's.  Funny how that works, so long as no one is really looking that is.  What I would like to see is a better file exchange and symbol insertion capablity between Chief and traditional CAD programs and solid modeling apps.

That IMO is where the real power is to be had.  Oh well, there I go, talking to myself again.

The main reason I overlooked CA for YEARS was the fact I thought this app was the Home-Garden version designed for DIY groups.  I couldn't identify CA brand as a professional one, and the clearly antiquated UI only helped reinforce my pre-conceptions.  CA suffers from an identify crisis (branding management) with professionals.  The best thing CA could do for itself is to re-brand the pro-version app - almost a re-launch to professionals.   ...but yeah, if they want to keep small and unknown and let us benefit from its functionality in residential design....great for us.  The VERY first time I considered CA was when I ran into one of Scotts videos on youtube when i was looking for Sketchup help.  It was on a fairly complex subject, and I was shocked CA was in that league.  However, it took me some time to dispel myself of the pre-conception i had of this product.

To those who compare Revit and other apps to CA - yes, CA is the best overall product for residential.  BUT, if you specialize in commercial its a whole different ball-game. Just because CA has better functionality for residential design doesn't mean CA should stay in the early 90's for its GUI.

• Upvote 1

I completely agree with the statement above ^^^^^^  CA markets heavily (way too much IMO) on X6's ability to do interiors (cabinets, interiors renderings) but lacks in presenting it as an architecture solution / alternative to the major players out there - When I started searching for an Autocad replacement, CA was one of the first ones I found but I overlooked it at first t because it looked as one of those DIY house designer programs you can buy at Walmart - I am really hoping X7 will have some nice updates and fixes to the workarounds.....If they don't fix stairs and auto elevation regens, I will not make the switch....

Johnny:

for many years the HD product line was sold under the Better Homes and Gardens label

then around X1 or X2, CA parted ways and re-labled the HD line as Chief Architect also

so someone surfing the internet could easily confuse the HD product line for Chief Premiere

and wonder why someone would recommend it for Professionals

Lew

Johnny:

for many years the HD product line was sold under the Better Homes and Gardens label

then around X1 or X2, CA parted ways and re-labled the HD line as Chief Architect also

so someone surfing the internet could easily confuse the HD product line for Chief Premiere

and wonder why someone would recommend it for Professionals

Lew

This is exactly correct.  I wonder why the folks at CA don't realize their own brand management issue?  Chief Architect is a great product name, but when they used it for their company name as well - and produced many DIY products and stuck the CA name/logo on it - so there is little understood distinction between the products.

Nice discussion here, the right click short cuts could fix some of these over clicking problems?

I have heard of the "Over Clockers" but not the "Over Clickers"?

In Business we know of mergers and take overs and the big players usually swallow up the little players too?

CA could get bought up by lets say "Giant Cad" and become a reworked patch in GC and called "the house tool"?

In the end CA will make the decisions that will define its future.