X13 - Mac users - eGPU??

MarkSirianni

I have a 2019 16" MacBook Pro.  2.3GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9.  Graphics is AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB.  (beyond the posted minimum specs for Chief Architect)  I just upgraded to x13.  I am running into issues printing to PDF any layout with more than 2 renderings present.  The images are partially black or very pixilated.  Ughhh.  Tech support says Apple is now using a new graphics engine that is essentially BETA.  No more Open GL.  The work around is to export the renderings from the plan and import into the layout.  No longer can I send a rendering to the layout and have it auto or manually update.  Uggggh.  This is a serious workflow PITA.

I'm looking for a solution that keeps me in the Apple ecosystem.

I'm checking with Apple to see if I can upgrade the graphics card memory to 8GB (likely not possible)

What about an eGPU like the Blackmagic?  Will Chief Architect utilize the resource or only the onboard graphics memory?

Is anyone out there using a Mac Mini with the new M1 chip?  Content creators processing heavy 4k video projects have found this to be a serious powerhouse.  Maybe it would also work for Chief???

Moving to Windows is definitely not preferred.

Any real life experience would be helpful.

Thank you,

Mark

On 7/20/2021 at 3:32 PM, MarkSirianni said:

Moving to Windows is definitely not preferred.

I hear ya

Windows not preferred, but X13 with all features is

Having read every post made on this forum re: this issue, it appears that for now at least we are SOL

Ugh indeed

I almost bought an M1 Mini just to try it but my daughter recently got a MacBook Pro M1 laptop so next chance I get I'm going to download X13 to it and see what happens

Thanks Chris.  I can't wait to hear what happens with the MacBook Pro M1.  If it is the one with the...

• Configurable to AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory or AMD Radeon Pro 5600M with 8GB of HBM2 memory

It just might work!  I simply hate the idea of going back to Windows so we shall see.  Please post an update (even if it costs me another $4k... ugh)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@MarkSirianni, @Chrisb222,

Did you reach a conclusion?  I also use a 16” MacBook Pro, as do several others here, but have not had the issues you’ve described. There is a thread on ChiefTalk that I’ve participated in regarding image transparency causing images to print as solid almost-black boxes, but I don’t think that is what you’re describing, right? My 2019 MB Pro 16” works well the way I’ve been using it, and I’ve not had the problems you’re describing, though I did load it with all the RAM it would hold. I’ve been advising another on the possible use of an eGPU solution and am curious about your conclusions. 

10 minutes ago, KTransue said:

My 2019 MB Pro 16” works well the way I’ve been using it, and I’ve not had the problems you’re describing, though I did load it with all the RAM it would hold. I’ve been advising another on the possible use of an eGPU solution and am curious about your conclusions. 

I believe the OP is using Live Rendering views which is a struggle on MOST machines both PC and Mac.

• 2 months later...

Ktransue - you are correct.  Any renders sent to the layout (unless sent as an image) appear as black blocks.  Attempting to replace the 16" MBP with an M1 Mac Mini was a complete fail.  I've resorted to continued use of X12 for all new projects.  Personally, I don't care about real time ray tracing.  I want the workflow advantages inherent with CA.  Sending images with auto update to the layout is key as changes to the plan are inevitable.  Updating each image throughout the plan manually is a complete waste of precious time.  Fingers crossed changes are made to fully utilize the Metal graphics engine in Mac OS.  Just paid for the SSA on 2 licenses for 2022.  I'll choose to keep the faith, support CA and expect the development team to sort this issue out pronto. 

I have this MacBook and run x13 okay.  Better than x12 by features.  I do not ray trace plane perspective view is more than enough for me.  This thread talks about the M1 chip in MBP which I am ordering now for a second and hopefully primary machine. 

image.png.8302646feda140acf4366098f51468e5.png