Monolithic slabs patio/porch/garage drop

teewhite7

This probably wouldn't be an issue when a brick ledge isn't required
but does anyone have tips on how to model a patio drop?

For example, i have a covered rear patio, i need the footings to continue 

for the patio floor slab at the brick ledge depth. I'm able to model a 2" drop for the patio

but when it reached the outer edge it auto places a curb to reach back to the floor level.

I guess its kind of like a garage drop, how there's a curb around for the stud wall,

but at the garage door it doesn't curb due to the garage door threshold

Chief architect premier x13

Intel I9 10900k

RTX 2080 super oc

32gb trident z royal 3600

Images of patio w/ & w/o walls
& lowered the absolute elv. of the patio floor.

Now granted, i can manually edit this one footing on the patio end to remove
this curb, and model it to match the other footing depths but on any of my projects this seems to throw a ton of other things way off and it

turns into a big mess elsewhere. I was just hoping there was something I'm missing in the auto/defaults
because this is a pretty basic detail on mono slabs.

patio slab 1.jpg

patio slab 2.jpg

1 hour ago, teewhite7 said:

Images of patio w/ & w/o walls
& lowered the absolute elv. of the patio floor.

Now granted, i can manually edit this one footing on the patio end to remove
this curb, and model it to match the other footing depths but on any of my projects this seems to throw a ton of other things way off and it

turns into a big mess elsewhere. I was just hoping there was something I'm missing in the auto/defaults
because this is a pretty basic detail on mono slabs.

patio slab 1.jpg

patio slab 2.jpg

Lots of variables without seeing the plan file.  If this doesn’t answer your problem your best bet is to provide the .plan file.

My Guess:

You already played with it before dropping the floor and manually adjusted that wall already.  Open the wall dbx and select default wall top and bottoms and see if that fixes it.

Otherwise too many variables to keep guessing.

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Lots of variables without seeing the plan file.  If this doesn’t answer your problem your best bet is to provide the .plan file.

My Guess:

You already played with it before dropping the floor and manually adjusted that wall already.  Open the wall dbx and select default wall top and bottoms and see if that fixes it.

Otherwise too many variables to keep guessing.

Default wall top & bottoms are "greyed out"
**attached plan

patio slab.plan

12 minutes ago, teewhite7 said:

Default wall top & bottoms are "greyed out"

That tells you you have not "played" with the wall in 3D/elevation which isn't recommended as standard operating procedure....(SOP)  in chief.

Right, i dont think the other guy read what i wrote

i CAN manually edit this into what i need but that defeats the purpose of what im trying to accomplish 

which is like you said SOP.

*I keep my Autocad subscription because of stuff like this, if theres no way around manually editing

a slab patio like this, i feel like its way faster to just do it on cad.

I do like how CA implements a garage drop into the foundation build dialogue, if there was
something similar for poch/patios that'd be great

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, teewhite7 said:

I do like how CA implements a garage drop into the foundation build dialogue, if there was
something similar for porch/patios that'd be great

This Option works fine IF , you don't use the Auto Monoslab foundation.   *Chief likes Monos all at the same floor Height

Chief Cheats and does not actually build a monoslab it is really a stemwall foundation made with a 16" thick stemwall and a 4" height to match the slab thickness so I use the same method , only manually, then add a few CAD lines as needed eg if you need a chamfer where you are?

image.thumb.png.c42856bd9ea9331e9e3ab99570c3e02b.pngimage.thumb.png.1b031a6d34a16265dbeb47a614a083d8.png

it may still show issues in 3D though

image.thumb.png.e4dae1b9e8200a6074159df14a4e6728.png

*I keep my Autocad subscription because of stuff like this,   ***  TurboCAD Deluxe is way cheaper....

7 hours ago, teewhite7 said:

Right, i dont think the other guy read what i wrote

No I did read it, however 95% of the time when something similar to this is posted here that is what it is caused by.  Many will try to fix it and at one point actually fix it but the second that you manually adjust a wall in elevation the dynamic auto build heights are removed so even if the item gets fixed it won’t adjust the walls after that unless you have the default top and bottom heights selected.  In your case since in the view you showed the other heights were correct that was a starting point to rule out the issue since we didn’t have a plan file.  But what Glenn is showing above should get you to what you want.

On 7/17/2021 at 8:41 PM, teewhite7 said:

This probably wouldn't be an issue when a brick ledge isn't required
but does anyone have tips on how to model a patio drop?

For example, i have a covered rear patio, i need the footings to continue 

for the patio floor slab at the brick ledge depth. I'm able to model a 2" drop for the patio

but when it reached the outer edge it auto places a curb to reach back to the floor level.

I guess its kind of like a garage drop, how there's a curb around for the stud wall,

but at the garage door it doesn't curb due to the garage door threshold

Chief architect premier x13

Intel I9 10900k

RTX 2080 super oc

32gb trident z royal 3600

does this help?  set the curb height to-6"

890211222_ScreenShot2021-07-19at5_46_49AM.thumb.png.2a2768710b82d7fe096bf0bfdc26aed7.png

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
On 3/29/2022 at 7:59 AM, dshall said:

Good vid Steve.

I have a question,  suppose you did not have a second pour group,  how would that change the model?

The "pour group" is only relative to the material list. The material list will segregate the materials for each "group". It doesn't change the outcome of the foundation construction. I probably should have mentioned that in the video...oops! :blink: 

2 minutes ago, SNestor said:

The "pour group" is only relative to the material list. The material list will segregate the materials for each "group". It doesn't change the outcome of the foundation construction. I probably should have mentioned that in the video...oops! :blink: 

Thank Steve,  however,  remember when we were talking about the slab to raised foundation model....  you did discover that there may be an advantage to calling out a second pour......  but now I forgot how that work.....  that also tied into the width of the stem wall which "The Rabbit" pointed out.

I did not mean to muddle the thread.....  to circle back the advantage to calling out a second pour was for the materials list

From help - did not know this.

"Slab Footings and the room areas that they define can be assigned Pour Numbers in their specification dialogs. Typically, a Slab Footing will have the same Pour Number as the room it defines, although it is possible for it to define multiple rooms with differing Pour Numbers. Pour Numbers are listed separately under the Foundation category of the Materials List."