Low ceiling height within higher ceiling

stager386

Sometimes it's hard to frame a question, in order to look up suggestions. So I will describe what I am trying to do and hope someone can guide me.  I am working on a condo in a very old renovated warehouse.  Ceilings are high.  2 bedrooms and kitchen have 8' ceilings.  One of those bedrooms juts into the main area, creating an open ledge over the portion of the 8' wall that sits below the high ceiling.  The door into the bedroom is part of that shorter wall that sits below the high ceiling.  I have tried creating an 8' tall soffit but I can't place the door in it. And if I do this with a half wall, I can't get the open space above it.  Thoughts?

Thank you!

On 7/16/2021 at 6:45 PM, Kbird1 said:

Thank you.   It helped, but I am still missing something.  I need the door to be on the shorter wall that juts into the main room with the high ceiling. But the door opens up into the room I had to create for the illusion of a shelf ceiling.    If I don't create that second room, the ledge will go the entire length over the bedroom. I tried creating a doorway on the inside wall but then the door has this weird depth to it. Rendering shows how I want it to look from this view. 

condo wall.jpg

15 hours ago, glennw said:

I am not quite understanding your problem.

Select the room with the lowered ceiling and check Shelf Ceiling and change the ceiling height for the room.

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 9.10.49 am.jpg

Thank you.  Maybe I wasn't clear that the lowered ceiling room cuts into the bigger room, but extends back.  Here is what happens when I do as suggested, in the first image. That ledge goes all the way to the back of the bedroom instead of stopping at the high wall.   If I extend the high wall to get the ledge I want, I end up creating a second room as seen in second image. I have played around with ceiling planes too.  

Issuec.jpg

Issue.jpg

Shelf Ceiling, wall between rooms is a pony wall with bottom of wall as a room divider, edit wall intersection layers at corner where tall wall meets side wall, then make side wall of lowered room is a partition wall (new type if not already in your list), will have to edit molding at corner.

image.thumb.png.d73081eaefa43e1c05c350e9cd061232.png

29 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Shelf Ceiling, wall between rooms is a pony wall with bottom of wall as a room divider, edit wall intersection layers at corner where tall wall meets side wall, then make side wall of lowered room is a partition wall (new type if not already in your list), will have to edit molding at corner.

image.thumb.png.d73081eaefa43e1c05c350e9cd061232.png

Thank you.  Not understanding your path here. I don't want to waste your time, but if I could see what you did, as a zipped file plan, I can see the specific things you did.  But again, I don't want to waste your time.  Thanks for your help.