What Is A "power User" ?

DavidJPotter

That term gets bandied around from time to time. I thought I would try to define it in terms of Chief Architect Software.

A power user is someone who uses Chief Architect after thoroughly studying how to use the software. A person who when they incounter a problem, reads the Reference Manual Section or sections about the tool with which he or she is having trouble with. When they increase their theory understanding of the tool or action they then implement that new knowledge using the software to validate that they understood what they just studied. (Demonstrated competence)

This places them in the viable position of just creating what they wish to create, using the software and it arms them with the certainty that no matter what they are presented as a problem, they already have a workable solution. A good deffinition of "Power" is merely the ability to efficiently solve Life's problems.

It is a condition that one earns through ardent application and effective study. This condition can be created or achieved with speed or over time, the deciding factor is an intention to know.

DJP

• Upvote 1

David:

It is also knowing all/most of the "work-arounds" for solutions

that are NOT covered in the manual and can only be learned by

true experimentation or via sharing on this forum

if a user tried to do only what is covered in the manual and videos

they would be "unable" to do some of the tasks

this forum is invaluable for sharing those "secrets"

Lew

• Upvote 1

That term gets bandied around from time to time. I thought I would try to define it in terms of Chief Architect Software.

A power user is someone who uses Chief Architect after thoroughly studying how to use the software. A person who when they encounter a problem, reads the Reference Manual Section or sections about the tool with which he or she is having trouble with. When they increase their theory understanding of the tool or action they then implement that new knowledge using the software to validate that they understood what they just studied. (Demonstrated competence)

This places them in the viable position of just creating what they wish to create, using the software and it arms them with the certainty that no matter what they are presented as a problem, they already have a workable solution. A good deffinition of "Power" is merely the ability to efficiently solve Life's problems.

It is a condition that one earns through ardent application and effective study. This condition can be created or achieved with speed or over time, the deciding factor is an intention to know.

DJP

Agree!

In my view a power user knows the limitations of the tools being used and proceeds to press the boundary's looking for solutions to achieve an outcome. "the deciding factor is an intention to know" sorry about shouting but I think this nails it.

I posted this thread because I thought an "action definition" of Power User would benefit others. If you aren't currently considering yourself a Power User then how can you attain that for yourself. 

It takes a decision to attain the ability followed by applied study and practice in most cases. In some instances help can be obtained from here and other training orientated sources (Chief Tutor.com, Chief Experts.com and several other sources). For basic understanding, the video series created and offered via Chief Architect Inc is unbeatable.

My point is that please do not wait until you are working on a project and get stumped as your only impetus to study and practice, rather set aside some time, every day for learning (study followed by practice of what was studied) until you attain the level of Power you desire.

DJP

• Upvote 1

If you aren't currently considering yourself a Power User then how can you attain that for yourself. 

This is a good post. What we currently think of our own skill level is probably forcing some modesty, not such a bad thing.

Not being satisfied with our skill level can be a powerful driver, that is a good thing.

To make real progress requires understanding the correct use of tools.  A work around is OK when the deadline demands a result.

A power user will make time when the heat of the moment is passed and study for a solution with the right tools and not rely on a work around.

Not all problems have good solutions in Chief.

Problems and work around's are only one area  for a reason to study.

Developing ones own style, speed and efficiency are also good reasons to dig deep.

I posted this thread because I thought an "action definition" of Power User would benefit others. If you aren't currently considering yourself a Power User then how can you attain that for yourself. 

It takes a decision to attain the ability followed by applied study and practice in most cases. In some instances help can be obtained from here and other training orientated sources (Chief Tutor.com, Chief Experts.com and several other sources). For basic understanding, the video series created and offered via Chief Architect Inc is unbeatable.

My point is that please do not wait until you are working on a project and get stumped as your only impetus to study and practice, rather set aside some time, every day for learning (study followed by practice of what was studied) until you attain the level of Power you desire.

DJP

The most quiet "power user" on this forum is Ben Palmer. He always has a great answer to problems.

If I were to make an off-hand list of such persons, I would include DS Hall, Ben Palmer, Joe Carrick, Drawzilla, Glenn Woodward, EB Design, Dennis Gavin, Kilgore Trout, Gerry T,  Bryce Engstrom,  Cheryl Crane, Rod Cole, Terry Munson and please do not be offended if I left your name out, you know who you are.

DJP