Best Way To Do A Lanai?

keithhe

I assume there are numerous ways to do this, but given that the outer lanai and columns support the roof, what is the best way to draw this in CA? Also, to get the actual arch radius' correct. One way, but not sure I'm right is P-solid for arch, ceiling plane and a slab floor? Is that right?

House is drawn, less the lanai/roof.

Thanks,

Keith

post-489-0-85566700-1418528372_thumb.jpg

Charlie,

I've heard of veranda, porch, patio, and loggia, but never an arcade in this context? The description of loggia comes closest, but given this location in Panama (tropical) lanai seemed most correct and what we have always called it.

Terms aside, and would love to hear others ideas of what this is called out of curiosity, the goal is to get it drawn where it does not create unintended other problems. I had not even considered your idea, and seems most straight forward.

Thanks,

a lanai is a large outdoor area encased in screening. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanai_(architecture) popular in Florida (at least that is where I have designed and 3D modeled them in the past).

The ones I did I did completely with poly-line solids and 3D molding poly-lines.

Here is a rendering of the last one I did:

DJP

post-81-0-84623900-1418581514_thumb.jpg

OK,

The doorway idea won't work, or at least I can't get it to work. Problem is that there is no control of the radius of the arch. Without that, the merge of the arches will be too low and columns will never cover. I need to be able to control the arch. Ideas?

See actual and with doorway capture, attached.

post-489-0-11078600-1418616230_thumb.jpg

post-489-0-54706900-1418616245_thumb.jpg

Alan,

Been trying that but still can't get it to look right. I know the actual dimensions, and arch radius exactly.

Eric, that looks right, will need to try that, as all other ways have proven unsuccessful. Undoubtedly due to my inability to manipulate the program to what I need.

I'll attach plan, if that helps anyone. (note that it is metric) Column in backyard is already exactly correct. Arch radius is 3 meters and top of arch is 3 meters.

Panama As-Built post.plan

OK, looking at what John sent, I think I see what I was missing. In the doorway DBX, under "Arch" "Height" I was mistakenly using the actual top of arch at the height. Clearly, seeing that Jon used 12" I think it is from top of the column (in my case 2450 mm) to the top of the arch (3000 mm) or a "height" of 550 MM (3000-2450) . I think that is right?

Pony wall, bottom is a room divider.

Arches are pass-throughs. 

This my friend is very clever.  I  probably do not use the room divider wall enough.....   especially in conjunction with a pony wall....  very very nice......  I must think of more uses of the room divider wall.

BTW  what  Eric did not mention is the arch opening can only be as tall as the opening.....  IOW,  the arch opening cannot extend into the divider wall.

Eric, and Scott, headed toward that way as nothing I can do, so far makes this look right in the actual conditions. I have the "advantage" of having the original CAD blueprints (as-builts), but in some cases they have proved wrong. I'm down there next month to go over a few changes and additions that will be added, but mostly to dive and fish. This is actually one of my folks homes on the beach near David. We built it in 2007. Just want to get as accurate a model as possible with what I have to make changes there, as needed.

Eric, you probably are right with plan I uploaded as I was floundering around with different ways to get this right. Still am... One thing I think I figured out, is that the CAD elevation shows that arch height at 3000 mm (3 meter) but the ceiling heights are 2750 (2.750 meters). That is among the discrepancies I'm finding. Also, the column in the CAD shows a .3 meter diameter (almost 12") but they are wider than that. I'm trying to adjust via the photos (I have hundreds) to at least get it close. I can't get the column centered under that arch wall without half of it hanging off the lanai (porch).

That room divider pony wall is a good trick. Never occurred to me.

The big advantage of this is you can DEFINE THE WIDTH OF THE  WALL THAT SITS ON COLUMN,  i.e. the distance between the springs of arches.

Yeah,  a pretty neat option.

Although Eric's method is relatively clever,  this is not the way to do it......  too limiting.  The best way to do this would be to put a 6' high opening on bottom and separate arches on top.

Take a look at the pic,  my method is on far right,  Eric's is on far left,  the old stand my method is in the middle.

In fact using Eric's method,  the plan view is incorrect......  I know there is a few options to this.....  but I do not think this is the best method.

Eventually I hope to do a vid on the usage of the ROOM DIVIDER WALL when I figure out some of the uses......  

post-50-0-06335800-1418664887_thumb.png

Thank you Scott !! I enjoyed that, despite being nobody important. :) :0

I appreciate you doing that video. By the way, for Jan. 10, we should call that the Jon and Jintu (J & J) workshop, as both will be presenting which is frankly awesome. I'm more excited about that then X-mas.