How do I view & delete phantom rooms?


BlueHandle
 Share

Go to solution Solved by Dermot,

Recommended Posts

Is there a way I can see a list of "rooms" and delete one? Obviously a room is just designated by the walls surrounding it and shouldn't really be an entity that exists otherwise, but it does. And it seems to be based on positioning of the plan.

 

For example I have a room called: Fluffy. If I move over one of the walls by an inch, it changes the name of the room to "Bath" - as well as all the associated settings with that room. Then if I move the wall back, it changes back to Fluffy. It doesn't appear as if I can do anything to get rid of that change between "Bath" and "Fluffy" - if the wall moves the room name changes.

 

It's not just as simple as: "Just rename Fluffy to the new name you want"... since Fluffy got it in its head that it wants a foundation wall under its interior walls. I've gone through that room details with a fine comb - I can't for the life of me figure out why Fluffy wants a foundation - taken screenshots of every single page and individual setting to compare it to the non-Fluffy room, everything matches.  And I can reshape Fluffy all I want, the foundation wall will follow its walls until I reshape it to the point that Chief Architect no longer sees the room as being the "Fluffy" room, then the problem goes away.

 

If I delete all walls in the vicinity of 50ft from that room and just redraw them, Fluffy comes back. It seems to be locked to that specific location on the plan (or something).

 

But Fluffy shouldn't exist in the first place! I just want to delete Fluffy. And preferably all other Fluffies (i.e. non-existing rooms) like it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BlueHandle said:

For example I have a room called: Fluffy. If I move over one of the walls by an inch, it changes the name of the room to "Bath" - as well as all the associated settings with that room. Then if I move the wall back, it changes back to Fluffy. It doesn't appear as if I can do anything to get rid of that change between "Bath" and "Fluffy" - if the wall moves the room name changes.

 

9 minutes ago, BlueHandle said:

It's easily reproducible. Attached a sample. Try and draw a room or move a room into those 4 arrows so that it's not called "Fluffy".

 

Seems like 2 issues? The plan you attached reproduces Fluffy rooms with each wall addition as Chief is taking the original room name and applying it to the newly created rooms.

 

Not seeing or getting the "bath" issue as described above in the OP. Also Chief does apply certain rules to certain room 'types'. The rooms in the plan you attached are defined as "Court". Is there a reason for that? What if they were defined as bedrooms or living rooms? Still not getting the bath issue as described above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When a room has been specified, Chief will know and remember where that room was. When a new room is created in a room that is specified (that is to say NOT Unspecified) then Chief will indeed create a room, either the room that was previously there, or a smaller version of the existing room being delineated.

To avoid this behavior, simply specify all rooms as Unspecified.

There is no issue here, but an exercise in learning how the program works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BlueHandle said:

since Fluffy got it in its head that it wants a foundation wall under its interior walls.

Is that wall defined as a foundation wall? And instead of a 'sample' plan can you attach the actual plan that is showing the problem?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, robdyck said:

When a room has been specified, Chief will know and remember where that room was. When a new room is created in a room that is specified (that is to say NOT Unspecified) then Chief will indeed create a room, either the room that was previously there, or a smaller version of the existing room being delineated.

To avoid this behavior, simply specify all rooms as Unspecified.

There is no issue here, but an exercise in learning how the program works.

This^^ Not the easiest thing to understand with Chief but in your sample plan if all of the walls are deleted and new room created, IN THE SAME LOCATION it will be called Fluffy as Chief "remembers" the previous room name over that location. There's some good things Chief does with this behavior but in a lot of cases it's pretty disturbing, and hard to understand to be honest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

This^^ Not the easiest thing to understand with Chief but in your sample plan if all of the walls are deleted and new room created, IN THE SAME LOCATION it will be called Fluffy as Chief "remembers" the previous room name over that location. There's some good things Chief does with this behavior but in a lot of cases it's pretty disturbing, and hard to understand to be honest.

 

More disturbing is the fact that CA has told me multiple times ( different techs)  that "Chief does not have a memory"   in regards to this Room naming Issue....          I begged to differ but we all know it happens in certain circumstances.

 

M.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Solution

Rooms can be temporarily kept in memory.  You can see this by just drawing a 4 wall box and setting the room name to something unique.  If you delete one of the walls the room label will disappear.  If you redraw the wall, the room label will magically come back.  There are certain operations in the program that can clear out these temporary rooms.  One way to be sure that these temporary rooms have been removed is to just close and reopen the plan.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Rooms can be temporarily kept in memory.  You can see this by just drawing a 4 wall box and setting the room name to something unique.  If you delete one of the walls the room label will disappear.  If you redraw the wall, the room label will magically come back.  There are certain operations in the program that can clear out these temporary rooms.  One way to be sure that these temporary rooms have been removed is to just close and reopen the plan.

VERY helpful Thanks. And hope it helps the OP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Dermot said:

One way to be sure that these temporary rooms have been removed is to just close and reopen the plan.

 

This you should ask be added to the Manual Dermot ....    (and a memo sent to T.Support. :) )

 

M.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These "remembered rooms" can be very challenging and perplexing. I know I've chased a few off my lawn before.

 

3 hours ago, Dermot said:

One way to be sure that these temporary rooms have been removed is to just close and reopen the plan.

 

Another "thing you gotta know"

 

I'm keeping a journal :lol:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Dermot said:

Rooms can be temporarily kept in memory.  You can see this by just drawing a 4 wall box and setting the room name to something unique.  If you delete one of the walls the room label will disappear.  If you redraw the wall, the room label will magically come back.  There are certain operations in the program that can clear out these temporary rooms.  One way to be sure that these temporary rooms have been removed is to just close and reopen the plan.

 

Yes, that did it! Thanks! I thought these were persisted, but they're just kept in memory, so first destroying the room (making sure the .plan wasn't saved with it), followed by closing & reopening fixed it.

 

Finally Fluffy is no more! Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BlueHandle said:

 

Yes, that did it! Thanks! I thought these were persisted, but they're just kept in memory, so first destroying the room (making sure the .plan wasn't saved with it), followed by closing & reopening fixed it.

 

Finally Fluffy is no more! Thank you!

Glad you got it figured out and don't feel bad I've used Chief for over 20 years and had no idea that it behaved that way nor how to fix it. :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Member Statistics

    30089
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    jerefine
    Newest Member
    jerefine
    Joined