How do I create a living wall of plants?

MicaGlassDesigns

I am using Chief Architect Premier X13, and I want to create a living wall for a client's office space. I've tried building a frame and adding plants to the frame, but I cannot rotate the plants on the y-axis in order for them to be "planted" on the wall. Is there any other technique or tip I can apply to creating this wall? Any help is greatly appreciated!

You may do better with a photograph of an existing living wall applied as a material unless it is a totally custom design.

You could likely do a setup with 3D plants but it is very much a computer resource hog.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MicaGlassDesigns said:

Thanks. I'll give that a try. It seems like it will take significantly less time, too.

Yes it will for sure if it will satisfy the client.  You can apply the material directly to the entire wall or place a p-solid skin on a segment of the wall.

I originally thought that the best way would be to use 3D plants (2D plants would look pretty dicky) with either the Garden Bed tool or the Distribution tools because both these tools make it easy to automatically distribute objects.

The idea would be to then to create a symbol and rotate to vertical.

There was just too many surfaces and I gave up because it was taking too long on my machine.

Someone else may have more luck with a faster machine. 

Why do just a boring old flat wall? :)

270202556_IMG_0092copy.thumb.JPG.f85bc189fca9adda2f0182318e879e19.JPG

Or you could crop this if you want to use as a picture.

IMG_0515 copy.JPG

Not pretending to know the best overall approach, but if you find the plants you want to use, you can add the following method to your toolbag of potential solutions...

You can open the desired Plant Image File in a photo editor, rotate the image, and then use that new image.  You just need to:

1. Find your desired plant
  2. Open the Plant Image Specification dialog box
  3. Find where the Image File is located on your computer
  4. Open that file
  5. Edit the image to rotate as desired
  6. Save As a new PNG file
  7. Use that new PNG file for your Image File

In Windows, the main keys are that you have to:

A.  Open the zipped folder before you can access the image file

B.  Paste the image file name by adding a \ instead of #zip:

Example:

Full Image File Name ---->  C:\ProgramData\Chief Architect Premier X13\Referenced Files\CorePlantFiles.zip#zip:Clematis ternifolia2.png

First paste this into the Windows Explorer Address Bar ---->  C:\ProgramData\Chief Architect Premier X13\Referenced Files\CorePlantFiles.zip

Once that folder is opened, add a backslash and paste the file name in after it, like this ---->  C:\ProgramData\Chief Architect Premier X13\Referenced Files\CorePlantFiles.zip\Clematis ternifolia2.png